Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Dorian
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 5:42:31 PM(UTC)
Dorian

HI Ladies,

I know that quite a few of us are big time readers. I love finding new books and authors to read. So lets share what we like!

I enjoy historical fiction, especially those between the first world war and just past the second. One of my favorite authors in this genre is Charles Todd. This is a mother/son team! (which I find interesting) They have two different series out. The first is about a Scottland yard inspector who got his job back after WW1, but he has issues and 'hears' one of the dead soldiers that talks to him. It's a historical mystery series. The second series is about a nurse in WW1, who is always falling into playing detective. Both of these series are very interesting. I love the way they write.

I also like books about midwives. A historical midwife/mystery type series I like is by Victoria Thompson. Set in the Victoria era. Fun and entertaining.

Diane Chamberlain writes books on family,love and loss. They usually have some mystery to them. I love the way she writes! I'm reading 'The Silent Sister' right now, and I hate having to put it down .

WW2 series I like .... Billy Boyle series by James R Benn; Maggie hope mysteries by MacNeal, Susan Elia; Maisie Dobbs by Winspear, Jacqueline.

Sandra Dallas writes books with "themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity". Most are set in gold mining towns of long ago. I love her writing! And many of them have quilters in them :)

Todd Borg's character is an ex-cop turned PI. He lives in Lake Tahoe here in California (My dh's family has a summer cabin in nearby Echo Lake, so it's fun to read these), with his big great dane dog that he has given some training in finding lost people and dead bodies.

Ok, enough for now. Come and on join in the conversation please :)

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
GloBug
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 6:52:47 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Dorian, if you like books about midwives, then you should look into the trilogy "Call The Midwife" by Jennifer Worth.  I recently checked it out from my local library and really enjoyed the 1950's true historical aspect of midwifery in a poor section of London, England.

Another series I have enjoyed is "Outlander" by Diana Galbadon.  This one starts out in 1945 England just after WWII (I believe?) and goes to the past in 1740's Scotland.  There are about 8-9 books in this series and I've read them all and enjoyed them thoroughly.

I'm always up for reading a classic like "Gone With The Wind", "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".  I have re-read these books at least 3 times in my life, lol.     

Dorian
#3 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 8:47:59 AM(UTC)
Dorian

Thanks Gloria, I LOVE the Call the Midwife series. I've read the books twice I think, and I love the show.

Yes, I enjoy some of the classics too! I haven't seen the Outlander books, will look into them.

Another of my very favorite authors is Dick Francis (now deceased but his son has taken over this series). Dick Francis was a horse jockey in England, and all his books are mysteries set around horse racing.

GardenGal
#4 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 9:12:06 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

I love so many but mostly READ on trips and LISTEN while sewing.    The main theme seems to be light mysteries for me.  :)    Because of my fading memory, I enjoy them more than once.    LOL

The Cat WHO series by Lilian Jackson Braun 

A culinary Mystery series by Diane Mott Davidson

Almost anything by Janet Evanovich 

Mysteries by Nevada Barr with the theme of various National parks

Just to name a few :)

--
loveslife
#5 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:20:32 AM(UTC)
loveslife

I have a few books to recommend;

When Never Comes by Barbara Davis
about a wife who discovers a secret life of her famous author husband and how she deals with the aftermath

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty

This should be an interesting topic, thanks Dorian!

Karen
I define happiness as a continuous, creative activity.
Dorian
#6 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 11:08:08 AM(UTC)
Dorian

I used to enjoy the Cat Who series GG. Have you read the Mrs Pollifax series? A light, fun series featuring an over 60yr female who dropped in the the CIA (unannounced) to ask if she could be a spy! LOL

Thanks Karen, I'll look into those authors. And your welcome :)

The Bony series, by Arthur Upfield is also a fun one. Bony is a DI in the Australian outback. Great charcters in these books!

GardenGal
#7 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 11:22:41 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Originally Posted by: Dorian Go to Quoted Post

I used to enjoy the Cat Who series GG. Have you read the Mrs Pollifax series? A light, fun series featuring an over 60yr female who dropped in the the CIA (unannounced) to ask if she could be a spy! LOL

Thanks Karen, I'll look into those authors. And your welcome :)

The Bony series, by Arthur Upfield is also a fun one. Bony is a DI in the Australian outback. Great charcters in these books!

I loved those too Dorian!  not sure if I read them all but the ones I did, I enjoyed.  :D

--
quiltertess
#8 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 7:31:50 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

I enjoy almost anything by Tom Clancy, Janet Evanovich, Michael Connolly,  Nora Roberts, and James Patterson.

Love a good mystery!

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
Dorian
#9 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 7:39:21 PM(UTC)
Dorian

James Patterson is good too! yes!

cv quilter
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:01:20 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

EDIT:  J.A. Jance , not Mary Higgins Clark, is one of my very favorite authors.  Her mysteries are always full of suspense and intrigue.  Many of her books are written around areas in Arizona that we are familiar with, and include great detail about the areas.  Mary Higgins Clark does write wonderful mysteries, too.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Dorian
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:13:30 AM(UTC)
Dorian

Thanks Sharon, I haven't read either Jance or Clark, although I've seen their books. Will have to give them a try. It's fun reading books where the 'scenery' is familiar. Both Marcia Mueller and Sue Grafton writes (wrote) books about a female PI in California, so those are always fun to read. It was so sad that Grafton died before she could finish her A-Z books.

Chelle
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 11:40:22 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I know I am not going to remember all the authors I like but I can name a few - trying not to repeat those that have already been mentioned... Jan Karon, Debbie Macomber, Marie Bostwick, Laurie Frankel, and Barbar Kingsolver.  I have tons of books on my kindle, just need to make time to read... but, there is just something about holding an actual book while reading ya know?  So I have started buying some again.

When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunsine.
Dorian
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:12:26 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Oh I love the Jan Karon books Chelle!! I've read Bostwick too, those are fun. Thanks for chimming in, I'll have to look up the others 

quiltertess
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:54:33 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

Laura Lippman writes some fun mysteries based mostly in Baltimore.  I have read all of them!  It is fun to read about places you know.  Guess that's why I liked Tom Clancy's novels.  He was also from Maryland.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
frankied
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:54:25 AM(UTC)
frankied

Well I like the obvious ones for us quilters like the Elm creek series (Jennifer Chiaverni, probably spelt that wrong but near enough) by the way there is a new Elm Creek book coming out December time, I like David Eddings (fantasy), Anne Mccaffrey (Sci-fi), Phillapa Gregory (Historical) and Gervaise Phinn who was a school inspector in Yorkshire (UK) and has wrote books about his time they are really funny books. Someone earlier said about Dick Francis books, I used to work in a book department of a shop and Dick Francis books were my pet hate because all his  tend to have one word titles The Edge, Straight, Longshot, Comeback, Decider, Shattered, Silks and cross fire to name but a few used to drive me scatty trying to remember them.

Lots of love

Frances xx

Dorian
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:12:00 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Originally Posted by: frankied Go to Quoted Post

Well I like the obvious ones for us quilters like the Elm creek series (Jennifer Chiaverni, probably spelt that wrong but near enough) by the way there is a new Elm Creek book coming out December time, I like David Eddings (fantasy), Anne Mccaffrey (Sci-fi), Phillapa Gregory (Historical) and Gervaise Phinn who was a school inspector in Yorkshire (UK) and has wrote books about his time they are really funny books. Someone earlier said about Dick Francis books, I used to work in a book department of a shop and Dick Francis books were my pet hate because all his  tend to have one word titles The Edge, Straight, Longshot, Comeback, Decider, Shattered, Silks and cross fire to name but a few used to drive me scatty trying to remember them.

Lots of love

Frances xx

LOL Frances, that was me! Might be hard to remember the titles, but I love his stories .  I used to really like the Elm Creek series, but her last few just seemed to be more a rehash of previous ones to me. I hope the new one is fresh and ...well, new! LOL. I'll have to look into the Gregory and Phinn ones, thank you. 

GloBug
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:39:16 PM(UTC)
GloBug

I just returned from a trip where I met a school principal from Knoxville, TN who had the most adorable TN accent I've ever heard (she sounded like Dolly Parton!).  She originally grew up in Virginia and says that's where her accent is from (lol!) and we started talking about books we've read.  She told me I should read "Big Stone Gap" by Adriana Trigiani so I located an audiobook from our library and downloaded it to listen to while I start sewing once again in my sewing room.  

Dorian
#18 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2019 12:39:27 PM(UTC)
Dorian

That sounds like a fun book Gloria. Let me know how you like it.

frankied
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:17:52 PM(UTC)
frankied

Oh I forgot to say I also enjoy classics childrens more than adults to be honest I always like Arthur Conan Doyle with Sherlock Holmes, Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, Little house on the prairie series, Pollyanna, The Railway children, What katy did, and the story of Greyfriars Bobby which although good took me a while to decipher since its wrote in a scots accent with scottish words here and there once i had started reading it with a scots accent I was fine

Lots of love

Frances xx

Dorian
#20 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 8:41:59 AM(UTC)
Dorian

LOL Frances, if I am around anyone that is speaking with an accent, within 15 or 20 minutes, I, too am speaking with the same accent! I don't do it on purpose, it just happens. Very odd! LOL. I even once, started stuttering when I was speaking with someone who stuttered, talk about embarrassin!! 

One of the things I love about having kids.... reading kids books outloud to them! LOL. And finding new kid books/ young adult books that are interesting, but that I would of never found on my own.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed