Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GardenGal
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 4:03:29 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

We are all quilters and enjoy making quilts!   No doubt about this but what has been your LONGEST dry spell of getting to your sewing machine and what caused it??   Are you in one now ??    What brought you back to the hobby if you have had a 'dry spell ' ???

--
Chelle
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 6:07:09 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I would probably have to say my longest dryspells have been when preparing for moving up until I get some things unpacked wherever we move to.  

Other than that a lot of times I just have too much going on with family, business etc.  When I realize that it's caused me to not get any sewing time I talk with DH and set up a time that everyone knows Im to enjoy my sewing. :) 

When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunsine.
cv quilter
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 6:52:51 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I AM IN ONE NOW!!!  I have been working on my wool banner, and Fred just came into my sewing room today and said he hasn't seen my MACHINES silent/turned off in ages.  I must admit, I am missing sewing.  I have enjoyed this wool banner swap, but I think I am ready for sewing.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Eponine1984
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 6:59:05 PM(UTC)
Eponine1984

My longest dry spell was after I stopped working at my LQS (burnt out and bad terms) and started working in insurance sales. I didn't sew for a few years because I felt like I needed to dedicate all my time and energy to running sales appointments, reading up on products, studying, training, etc. It wasn't really a good time in my life.

I started quilting again after I got married and got pregnant - needed to make a baby quilt after all. I started designing again after I got cancer - needed to have some control over something in my life.

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Nancy_MN
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:01:29 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

My dry period is every year in May & June due to Minnesota's condensed gardening season. I'm busy everyday now planting annual flowers, vegetables (all started from seed in the house), and cleaning up perrennial beds. Come July, when it gets hot, muggy, and buggy, I head back to my sewing room and the plants have to fend for themselves.
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
EliQuilts
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:09:57 PM(UTC)
EliQuilts

Mostly when the depression gets serious. Sigh. I’m a bit off today, but hopefully it’ll ease up soon. Stupid hormones
Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
Leslie
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 10:47:09 AM(UTC)
Leslie

Most of my dry spells happen during spring and summer, i love gardening, its my first love
Leslie
cindynvb
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 6:05:26 PM(UTC)
cindynvb

Most of my dry spells have been caused by depression, when my romantic relationships end,  when my kids are causing me heartache, and when I found out my son's dog had chewed holes in all of my quilts and would never stop doing it. 

I don't think any of them lasted more than 3 months.

It's funny that we stop doing the things we love when if we did the things we love we'd probably come out of our depression/ruts sooner.

EvelynB
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 10:17:32 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I didn’t do much when DH was going thru chemo. He needed to be watched plus since neither of us could leave the house or have company we stayed in the same room. I started crocheting again and now have dozens of blankets ready for Project Linus. I’ve pushed myself to learn new stitches and patterns. I’ve always enjoyed a variety of crafts. I also stated painting rocks. It’s so fun to leave them for others to find.
EvelynB
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 10:25:44 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Leaving these on the porch and patio for my granddaughter to discover. 

cv quilter
#11 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 8:06:21 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: EvelynB Go to Quoted Post
Leaving these on the porch and patio for my granddaughter to discover. Rocks

Cute rocks, Evelyn!  Love the one with the tongue hanging out :)

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
GardenGal
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:10:00 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

I AM IN ONE NOW!!!  I have been working on my wool banner, and Fred just came into my sewing room today and said he hasn't seen my MACHINES silent/turned off in ages.  I must admit, I am missing sewing.  I have enjoyed this wool banner swap, but I think I am ready for sewing.

Do I need to get you back in Memphis ?

--
GardenGal
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:12:52 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Originally Posted by: cindynvb Go to Quoted Post

Most of my dry spells have been caused by depression, when my romantic relationships end,  when my kids are causing me heartache, and when I found out my son's dog had chewed holes in all of my quilts and would never stop doing it. 

I don't think any of them lasted more than 3 months.

It's funny that we stop doing the things we love when if we did the things we love we'd probably come out of our depression/ruts sooner.

I have to say I agree with you..   The one thing that we enjoy and that can bring us joy is too often dropped when it might be the thing that brings us back to happyness faster.   Thanks for sharing your thoughts..   

gg

--
GardenGal
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:16:53 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

I'm speaking to myself as well but maybe.. just maybe when life hits us and we find reasons, excuses or simply want to avoid our sewing areas we need to go on SEWING diets.   In other words we might need to schedule 10 minutes in each day to " ------- "   even if it's only to cut 10 pieces,  press 8 fat quarters,   sewing 1/2 a block..  but DO what normally brings us JOY.

At some point we'll want to do MORE and actually sew longer and if it doesn't come natural for a long spell... there will still be progress going on... and getting behind never helps.  

gg

--
Rss Feed  Atom Feed