Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 11:39:07 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

What's growing on??

--
GardenGal
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 11:40:46 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Wonderful temps this weekend to the point it made me want to grow something.   I picked up a seed starter tray this weekend with 12 rows of 6 seed pellets.  

Most likely shouldn't have but I started 12 different kinds of seeds..  at some point I think I'll have to rearrange my rows ( due to heights ) but it was fun!!!  

--
Leslie
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 11:55:20 AM(UTC)
Leslie

Heading to my greenhouse as soon as I get a pot pie out of the oven.
Going to star some seeds
Leslie
GloBug
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 12:30:01 PM(UTC)
GloBug

I recently planted some bulbs called Heritage Iris.  My daughter received a bunch of these bulbs from her mother-in-law who lives in South Carolina.  Per her MIL, these bulbs are off shoots from plants that are over 100 years old and originally came from England.  I am not a gardener by any means but I hope these pretty purple colored iris flowers/plants will eventually bloom for me.  

Leslie
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 2:41:28 PM(UTC)
Leslie

Oh Glo, I hope they do well and I want to see pictures if they do
Leslie
GloBug
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 9:31:57 PM(UTC)
GloBug

You betcha Leslie!!  I'm thinking positive and I'll be posting a picture of those beauties once they spring from the ground and blossom!! 

Nancy_MN
#7 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2019 10:21:31 AM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I just ordered oodles of vegetable seeds for my home garden, my rented community garden beds, the church garden, and the garden club plant sale. I won't be starting any of these seeds in the house under lights until mid-March through mid-April, but if I don't order them early enough, all I'll see online is "sold out" due to most of the country being able to plant well before us.

Enjoy your time outdoors, you southern gardeners! dance

On the flip side, I'll remain undistracted in my sewing room for a couple of months yet. silly
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Leslie
#8 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2019 10:51:34 AM(UTC)
Leslie

Haha Nancy, your right they sell out fast.
I started all my peppers and tomatoes yesterday along with some medicinal herbs.
Leslie
FeatherDuster
#9 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2019 6:38:52 PM(UTC)
FeatherDuster

I moved out of my house last spring, so I had to leave behind my big garden. Sad, but post stroke it would have been way too much work for me.
I'm in a big fifth wheel now, and itching to dig in dirt and grow stuff again so I'm going to set up a container garden on the Long east side, using big plastic tote bins and whatever I can scrounge up.

I used to have a handle on life, but it fell off.
GardenGal
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:14:04 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Western Tn updates..  we're in the middle of 4 days that have 70 as the high - LOVE it.. Winter returns in 48 hours.  booo

Hope, the dog we adopted in Dec has caught (at least ) THREE moles...  after the crunch, she goes off to bury them elsewhere.  I so love this.. dig all the holes you want.. i can fill those in.. sick of those raised tunnels ALL OVER the place...  after a good rain, if you accidently step on one of them, your foot & shoe sink nearly 4"   UGH.

I was out walking checking out things and went to visit where my dogs were laid to rest in the back corner of the yard.. up in the woods a bit and saw at least 100 yellow daffs blooming.    Not sure why they'd bloom there and not in the yard but the blooms are coming      

The crocus I planted for my Bees are starting to bloom.. that's one of the first flowers the bees can forage .   They also love snow drops so last year I dup up several clumps and planted them near the hives..  hoping they bloom and the bees love them.   If I see that.. I'll move even more.. lord knows I have plenty.  

I raked some l eaves yesterday from a flower bed.. today I hope to get them up...  I don't mind getting a little wet.

hugs, gg

--
Nancy_MN
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:06:24 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Nothing better to lift the spirits than fresh warm air, pretty flowers, and exercising in the garden! 

GardenGal
#12 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 11:47:39 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

I got some seeds going and some of them have gotten too leggy ( not enough light I'm certain ) and my question is, once they are leggy, is there anything I can do to make them 'good' plants or do I just need to start over?   ( zucchini )

gg

--
Nancy_MN
#13 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 10:08:51 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

GardenGal
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:50:30 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Well.. I'll try planting it deeper but clearly I started those too too soon.    I'll wait another 2 weeks and start more.   The days will be longer and brighter and hopefully stop some of that leggy problem.   Lord knows I have PLENTY of seeds.   

I saw your green house and it was packed with snow around it.     

gg

--
Nancy_MN
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:14:20 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

...with 2 more storm systems moving in this week. Still, my seed orders have all arrived, and I'll be starting some herbs and some flowers in the house under lights the day I return from Branson retreat. dance
carolracicot
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:40:23 AM(UTC)
carolracicot

We had a spare room and I'd fill it with those starter pots and then transplant and that room would have the garden all started when it was time to plant out.  But, two years ago dad came to live with us and he has that room.  He's 93 and has alzheimer's real bad, he doesn't even know who we are.  Well, last year Earl bought me a green house for my birthday and wouldn't you know we never could figure out how to put it together, there are so many pieces.  As soon, as we have some nice warm days I'm really going to try to get it put up, I just hate not being able to plant early and see things growing.  The jonquils have yellow buds so they will be opening soon.  I love spring.

Be faithful in small things, it is in them that your strength lies
EliQuilts
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:39:05 AM(UTC)
EliQuilts

Currently snowing, but then we can't really do more than dream of our gardens up by Lake Erie for quite a while yet.  I plan of finishing ripping out the ivy in my little front "yard."  I want to plant some bulbs, maybe a rose, and some wild flowers. (The yard is fairly shady, so I don't know if what will grow for sure.)

Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
GardenGal
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:23:34 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Originally Posted by: EliQuilts Go to Quoted Post

Currently snowing, but then we can't really do more than dream of our gardens up by Lake Erie for quite a while yet.  I plan of finishing ripping out the ivy in my little front "yard."  I want to plant some bulbs, maybe a rose, and some wild flowers. (The yard is fairly shady, so I don't know if what will grow for sure.)

The best you can do is check out what's growing around your neighborhood and pay attention to which side of the house they planted it.    Like hydrangeas do very well down here but, if you plant them on the west side of the house without any shade, they'd COOK.     Nurseries are are very helpful too.  You don't have to purchase from them or all at once either.   Most plants will multiply with a bit of time ( assuming you aren't putting in annuals ).    Annuals are awesome for POPS of color but after blooming season they are done forever.  

--
quiltertess
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 12:58:28 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

Originally Posted by: EliQuilts Go to Quoted Post

Roses need at least 6 hours of sun - better if its continuous through the day.  There are lots of plants that do well in shady areas though.

Its snowing here again, so all I'm doing right now is planning my garden.  Need to do some serious rearranging in the yard, but I have it planned in my mind, just need to get it on paper and as soon as we can work outside, start building the raised beds.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
GardenGal
#20 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 2:35:16 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

65 wonderful degrees today and I spent nearly 4 hours outside.   

I dug up some double bloom daffs that were planted around the pecan tree just last year.   I planted them in 2 other areas that will showcase them.  (this is the stump to the tree that fell recently)

Then I started taking things off the back porch that needed to be inside our new storage building.. even with Randy's help it was well over 2 hours..  I am glad to have my bee supplies put away.  It's still not as nice as I'd like for it to be but it sure is BETTER than it had been!!

Then I added a medium box to my 2nd hive so they'd have a place to put honey, pollen and baby bees.     Watching closely for a swarm from either of my 2 hives..  Coaching husband and son what to do incase they swarm while I'm at camp. 

I could work in the yard for 40 hours and still have things I need to do..   Going to have to keep at it now because it's about time to mow some of the sections..  In the Spring I don't mow it all because I want the bees to be able to collect pollen from the henbit, clover and dandelions.  

Hubbys says he's going to build a raised flower bed for me with security against voles.. he better hurry.. I have some seedlings I'm ready to plant.  

gg

--
Rss Feed  Atom Feed