Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:06:59 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Vintage Christmas

Book & Block Patterns by Lori Holt

Fabric line shown below is Cozy Christmas by Riley Blake

* fabrics
We are using 30s Christmas reproduction prints that would blend in with the fabric line 'cozy christmas'.  You do not have to use that fabric but it needs to work with that line so we end up with a SIMILAR looking quilt. Your fabrics may be complemented by bright geomectric prints.  (In looking at the quilts and fabric lines, none have Spring flowers or other non-christmas novelty items )

All blocks with white backgrounds are to be Kona white.  As with all swaps, fabric must be quilt-shop-quality, pre-washed!  We're using bright fabrics with white, and we sure don't want anything to bleed.

The blocks with green backgrounds are to be made with Sweet Mint by RBlake.  Optional but the solid brown used is RBlake's NUTMEG if you love the way it looks and want to use it. 
If you must have this exact quilt, you might consider buying a KIT instead of swapping. 

* What we are swapping:

One 6-inch block (6.5 unfinished) per baggy from the Lori Holt book.  You may sign up as many times as you want to make and receive more blocks but you must choose a different pattern for each group. We will be swapping christmas themed patterns found in the book.   

Everyone can make the traditional patterns as they see fit ( she may show a dutchman's puzzle but you might want to make a churn dash or saw tooth star )

We will open in 2 groups of 8 swappers/patterns and when you select a pattern, please make sure no one else has claimed that pattern.  ( make 8, send in 7 )  Do not start sewing until a group is FULL.         

* Mailing blocks:

Carefully place your swap blocks in individual baggies.  Label all baggies with your name/screen name. I'll need your group number from the swap chart, too.  Place your individual baggies in one large labeled baggy before packing into your shipping envelope.  Include a pre-addressed, pre-stamped return envelope with your blocks, or send a $8.00 check or Paypal to me and I will provide a padded flat rate envelope.   IF you need my address, request it in your PM to sign up.  Many of you already have it so I don't want to reply with it if not needed. 

* Who can swap:

This swap is open to all members who welcome a challenge.  Lori's piecing instructions are very good, but most of the patterns involve a lot of pieces, many of which are quite small.  You SHOULD make a test block to see if yours comes out to the correct size before you sign up. You could also send one sample block to the host early on for comments/suggestions if a little help is desired.

For block patterns, you will need a copy of the book or you can purchase some block patterns individually from Fat Quarter Shop.

All swappers must have read and agreed to SWAPPING GUIDELINES.  

* Dates of swap:

Sign ups: Mar 1st - March 18th.   I am giving a bit of extra time in the sign ups so that you have time to order fabrics and book if needed. 
Sewing time: Mar 1st April 12th.  That's five+ weeks to allow enough time for precision sewing and the opportunity to make more than one block design if desired.  Don't wait until the last minute to start!  Your package must be postmarked no later than Monday, 04/15. (one week earlier for international)

To sign-up, post your intent to join in the discussion here and send me a PM   Include your name, your QATW nickname, both email and mailing addresses, and telephone number. Please indicate which block(s) you wish to make. 

Video showing projects in her book. 9 pillows, place mats, table runners, mug rugs and 20 quilts. Also a bit of about the fabrics and panels.

--
GardenGal
#2 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 8:28:15 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Mail by ----- for all groups

6" Blocks (mail 6.5" unfinished) - Group 1 blue - send 1 for each swapper, so make 8 and mail 7. - postmark date 4/15

NameXXXXXXXX Block Check-i/n Swapper mailed Host rec'd Swapper rec'd
1. gg candy canes   --       3/7    
2. Fabriholic snowman   3/14           
3. Chelle gift UTT   3/17           
4. QuiltBaby gingerbread man   3/17           
5. Mawlinda  Deer   3/18            
6. EvelynB  cup   3/16            
7. Mona  Wreath   3/16           
8. LadySaint  mitten   3/16      

6" Blocks (mail 6.5" unfinished) - Group 2 Green - send 1 for each swapper - postmark date 4/15

NameXXXXXXXX Block Check-in Swapper mailed Host rec'd Swapper rec'd
1. gg Santa  --    --   3/7    
2. QuiltBaby Christmas Candles              
3. Fabriholic  Manger              
4. Chelle  Tree              
5. Mawlinda  GB House               
6. EvelynB  Stocking               
7. Mona  Warm Hat              
8. LadySaint  Ice skate        

6" Blocks (mail 6.5" unfinished) - Group 2 Pink - send 1 for each swapper - postmark date 4/15  Group MAY not fill but we will swap with as few as 5 on the chart. 

NameXXXXXXXX Block Check-in Swapper mailed Host rec'd Swapper rec'd
1. ajgcreative  Chirstmas lights   ---      3/15    
2. QuiltBaby  Ornament              
3. Mona  Candy Swirl              
4. EvelynB  Drum              
5. gg   Poinsettia               
6. Brenda  Train  3/18            
7. Brenda  Bell              
8. Mawlinda  Puppy        

--
Fabriholic
#3 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 11:57:06 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

GG, 

Just checking some fabric - would all of these work for the quilt?   1930  ish  same colorways?

https://www.fatquartershop.com/merry-and-bright-yardage-echo-park a FEW prints worked..seemed 50s not 30s 

https://www.fatquartershop.com/snow-day-yardage-113231 lots worked, be ware of large prints.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/storybook-candy-cane-lane-yardage - very little from this line worked

https://www.fatquartershop.com/sweet-christmas-yardage - lots of great prints here.. not the large florals

https://www.fatquartershop.com/the-north-pole-fat-quarter-bundle -  i liked it!

https://www.fatquartershop.com/vintage-holiday-mini-charm-pack - this is the line i bought, i liked almost all of it except 4 of the greens ran a bit to LIME-ish.

Sheila
Today is a new day!
GardenGal
#4 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 12:43:13 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

For 'swapping' I think once you get the book and look at the patterns, you'll get a feel for how much you need and know what prints to order a yard or f4 of.    I haven't looked in my 30s drawer to see if I have anything that will supplement this line.. but some geometric prints would for sure (in the right color and shade )  

I studied several patterns and didn't see any that would need more than a f4 for making 8 blocks.  

Meaning when you look at a pattern and see a fabric used ( like a red print )  a f4 of it would make 8 blocks or better.   You still will need other colors and background but to get an idea of how much ' vintage 30s prints' you won't need to buy huge amounts of yard to end up with 8 blocks in this swap.  

If you need help determining how much fabric you'd need on a specific block, let me know and I'll help you calculate it.  :D

--
Chelle
#5 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 10:24:22 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Sign me up please.  I would like to do the block "Under the Tree" 

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
Quiltbaby
#6 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 10:31:49 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

PM sent with my choices if available.
Mr. Cookie Block and Christmas candles Block. Thank you
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Fabriholic
#7 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 10:47:24 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

GG, Please sign me up for the Manger block also - using the mint green background.  

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Chelle
#8 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 11:05:53 AM(UTC)
Chelle

GardenGal
#9 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 1:18:07 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Here is a pic of a knitted cap that would be nice.  It's a tiny bit different from the one in the book but I think I actually like this one BETTER.    Should be pretty easy to work up in EQ and make for the group.

--
Mawlinda
#10 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 5:42:56 PM(UTC)
Mawlinda

Today I ordered the book and some fabric from the FatQuarterShop. I also watched the video with Lori Holt. I saw several I would be interested in.  I liked the toy soldiers, the puppy, the house and the deer. 

I will do the gingerbread house and the deer.  PM coming.

Linda
EvelynB
#11 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 6:41:46 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Can’t resist. I have plenty of holiday quilts but these make wonderful, interesting gifts. Lovely wedding gift because they match all decor. I’d like to do the cup and stocking for the two groups.
EvelynB
#12 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 7:35:03 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Just ordered my book from Connecting Threads. Needed some thread on sale too.
Chelle
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2019 11:00:19 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I am SO excited about this swap!

Mawlinda
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 10:25:26 AM(UTC)
Mawlinda

GG, Don't know if there are two houses in the book (didn't receive mine yet), but it's the gingerbread house I want.

Thanks.

Linda
Fabriholic
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 5:42:47 PM(UTC)
Fabriholic

I watched the video last night!

Sheila
Today is a new day!
GardenGal
#16 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 5:26:21 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Originally Posted by: Mawlinda Go to Quoted Post

GG, Don't know if there are two houses in the book (didn't receive mine yet), but it's the gingerbread house I want.

Thanks.

There is a chapel and your GB house.  :)  I will update chart with GB.  

I've gotten 5 Santa blocks made so far.  

--
EvelynB
#17 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 10:19:09 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Checking in
Mawlinda
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:50:27 AM(UTC)
Mawlinda

Thanks, GG. Can't wait to get the book.

Linda
monalee
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 3:00:14 PM(UTC)
monalee

I would like to join in with the wreath and the stocking cap. I should get the book Yhursday and ordered fabrics today from LRH today. PM coming
ladysaint
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:27:52 PM(UTC)
ladysaint

PM sent now that my book is in my hands. I will do the mitten and ice skate blocks.

Toni Ann
Rss Feed  Atom Feed