Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Eponine1984
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 10:23:06 AM(UTC)
Eponine1984

http://www.quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=41&pid=87491

THE SWAP
This is a centralized swap open to all skill levels. This would be great for a new members to join us in swapping! In order to join the swapping fun, we ask that you sign our swapping agreement.   

THE BLOCK

This is a fun block with cutting instructions listed below.  Each swapper makes 2 blocks per baggie, sending in 9 baggies and keeping one set for your own quilt.   These are pretty simple blocks once you've made a test block it should measure 12.5 inches, unfinished, in your hand before mailing (12 in. finished when sewn in the top).  Please take your time and sew consistent ¼” seams; and please measure and square-up your blocks and make sure your outer triangles include a seam allowance so it's not lost in the quilt top. You do need to sew bias edges in this block. Starching your fabrics helps, and cutting instructions include a bit of excess for trimming down. 

http://www.quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=41&pid=87693

FABRICS USED: We will be using Reds, Taupes, Creams, and Sky Blues similar to the ones shown above (Fabric collection is "Return to Winters End" by Kate and Birdie for Moda for reference.) You do not need to use fabrics from that collection, but they should look similar. No outside colors should be included in your fabric choices (no green printed on blue or purple printed on red, etc.)

Paint chip colors are:

red: Sherwin Williams SW7588 Show Stopper
taupe: Sherwin Williams SW6151 Quiver Tan
sky blue: Sherwin Williams HGSW2306 Celadon Pottery
cream: Sherwin Williams HGSW3446 Loggia

For the central Red stairs, it should be all of one red fabric (6 squares) in each block - you may a different red in another block. Per EQ, you'll need approximately 2/3 - 3/4 yd of red fabric. This should be a tone on tone fabric, not a solid.

The white stairs should be Kona White. Per EQ, you'll need 3/4 yd.

Each block requires an 11" square cut once on the diagonal. If you cut 11" x WOF strips, you should be able to get 3 squares from each WOF strip. 1 yard of fabric will give you 9 squares for the swap, so you'll need a total of 2 yards of at least 2 different fabrics for the blocks we're swapping, not including the ones you keep for yourself.

All fabrics must be prewashed, until water runs clear.  No Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart or any box store fabrics allowed.  Use only QS quality fabrics. 

Directions for piecing the block can be found here: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2018/12/dec-12-grammys-staircase.html Be sure to follow the cutting instructions for the 12" block, not the 6"

HOW MANY SWAPPERS

A minimum of (10) swappers  are needed for this swap to move forward. You will make 10 baggies with (2) blocks, you will send (9) baggies and keep one (1) for yourself. This will give you 20 Blocks. The size of this quilt will be 48 x 60 without sashings and borders.  So depending on how wide your sashing and borders are it could grow much larger. (As shown above, it's 60" x 72").

To sign-up, post intent with two color choices below (we're looking for a variety of blocks in red, taupe, cream, and sky blue - we don't want all 10 swappers sending red and blue blocks) and send a QATW Personal Message (PM) to me (Eponine1984).  PM must include your given name, your QATW nickname, both email, and mailing address, and telephone number. Be sure to include all the information requested.

REMINDERS

Weekly progress reports are required until your package arrives at the hostess’ house. (I personally choose Sunday to check-in – that way I remember to do it). Be sure to label each of your baggies with your Given Name, and your QATW nickname. Place (2) blocks in each baggie. Place all your small labeled baggies into one large labeled baggie before packing into a flat rate envelope. Include a pre-addressed, pre-stamped return envelope with your blocks, or send $8.00 to me or paypal and I will provide a padded Flat Rate tyvec envelope.  

I will reply to your PM with my mailing addy.

To join this swap you must be in good standing with QATW, meaning you must not be in the Briar Patch. You may join if you will be out of the Briar Patch on or before the sign up deadline date. Please make sure you have time to meet the deadlines listed below. While swaps are fun, the Briar Patch is not. If you find  outstanding group of blocks, i.e. all the blocks are the perfect size, threads all clipped, seams all pressed and straight, great fabrics that meet the guidelines, and packaging/labeling is above average, please send Quilting Nana a note and nominate TWO swappers that you feel deserve a GOLD STAR .

Sign-up closes on January 22nd. If you have trouble finding the paint chips locally, let me know and I can mail a set to you.   Blocks must be mailed on or before Feb 19 and one week earlier for International swappers.

Swapper's Name Colors Status

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
deb.morseth
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 12:51:58 PM(UTC)
deb.morseth

I am starting a very similar quilt in Morocco colors for my neice/godchild who just came back. I will be watching you allbigGrin
MN DEB from Mall of America land
GrandmaTaz
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 12:15:52 PM(UTC)
GrandmaTaz

Heather that is lovely. But have not finished anything in 2017 or 2018 and need to finish what I have.

Maybe your next swap.

Taz

EvelynB
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 5:01:26 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Celadon is jade green and not sky blue. It’s a pigment in pottery.

Looks like a fun swap. I’ve got to think about it. Haven’t finished my barn swap blocks yet.
Eponine1984
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:29:59 PM(UTC)
Eponine1984

Originally Posted by: EvelynB Go to Quoted Post
Celadon is jade green and not sky blue. It’s a pigment in pottery.

Looks like a fun swap. I’ve got to think about it. Haven’t finished my barn swap blocks yet.

The fabrics I pulled read “sky blue with a teensy hint of green” to me - that’s why I included paint chip colors. bigGrin

Hope you can join our fun!

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
diwoodruff
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:40:59 PM(UTC)
diwoodruff

Well now, why not?  pm being sent!

diwoodruff
#7 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 11:17:39 AM(UTC)
diwoodruff

Hi Heather, thanks for sending the paint chips.  Before I go out and buy fabric (Embarassed )  I want to confirm that this swap is a go.... I don't see anyone's name in the sign up list.  Thanks!

GardenGal
#8 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:01:14 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

I believe heather is out of town and won't be checking in as often as when she is at home but for now I would say do NOT purchase any fabrics that you don't just love and wanted any way.  

It looks like many are trying to cut down on purchases in early 2019,      Maybe we can table this and offer it later in the year..   folks that happen across the right colors could pick up some of the fabrics . ? . 

For now, I'm going to show this swap as 'tabled' and not going to happen in the early parts of 2019.  

:(

hugs, gg

--
stitchintime
#9 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:18:23 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Glad to hear you will bring it back later in the year.  

Barb
Nancy_MN
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:03:20 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I, too, would be quite interested in this later - maybe July?
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
diwoodruff
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 12:43:35 PM(UTC)
diwoodruff

Thanks GG, I will watch for it later.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed