Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages123>»
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:27:18 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

THE SWAP
This is a centralized swap open to all skill levels. This would be great for a new members to join us in swapping! In order to join the swapping fun, we ask that you sign our swapping agreement.   

THE BLOCK

This is a fun block with cutting instructions listed below.  What a scrap buster this can be!   These are pretty simple blocks once you've made a test block it should measure 12.5 inches, unfinished, in your hand before mailing (12 in. finished when sewn in the top).  Please take your time and sew consistent ¼” seams; and please measure and square-up your blocks and make sure the roof segments have a nice 1/4" edge so they won't be blunted when sewn next to sashing.  

FABRICS USED: We will be using Rustic reds, Dark Blacks, Sky blues (day skies please) and something with good contrast in the 'Traditional' block using CREAM as a background.  NO NEON, NO print that distorts the shape, No novelty prints.  We want warm blocks.  You can use tone-on-tones or small prints that read the dominant color called for.

***With 9 different swappers, this allows you to send in all matching blocks but you are welcome to change any fabric in the other blocks.. like you can use 3 or 4 blues for the sky.. just make sure to use only ONE sky fabric in each block. 

All fabrics must be prewashed, until water runs clear.  No Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart or any box store fabrics allowed.  Use only QS quality fabrics. 

HOW MANY SWAPPERS

A minimum of (9) swappers  are needed for this swap to move forward. You will make 8 baggies with (1) block, you will send (8) baggies and keep one (1) for yourself. This will give you 9 Blocks. The size of this quilt will be 36 x 36 without sashings.  So depending on how wide your sashing and borders are it could grow much larger.  

To sign-up, post intent with Traditional pattern choice below and send a QATW Personal Message (PM) to me (GardenGal).  PM must include your given name, your QATW nickname, both email, and mailing address, and telephone number. Be sure to include all the information requested.

REMINDERS

Weekly progress reports are required until your package arrives at the hostess’ house. (I personally choose Sunday to check-in – that way I remember to do it). Be sure to label each of your baggies with your Given Name, and your QATW nickname. Place (1) block in each baggie. Place all your small labeled baggies into one large labeled baggie before packing into a flat rate envelope. Include a pre-addressed, pre-stamped return envelope with your blocks, or send $8.00 to me or paypal and I will provide a padded Flat Rate tyvec envelope.  

I will reply to your PM with my mailing addy.

To join this swap you must be in good standing with QATW, meaning you must not be in the Briar Patch. You may join if you will be out of the Briar Patch on or before the sign up deadline date. Please make sure you have time to meet the deadlines listed below. While swaps are fun, the Briar Patch is not. If you find  outstanding group of blocks, i.e. all the blocks are the perfect size, threads all clipped, seams all pressed and straight, great fabrics that meet the guidelines, and packaging/labeling is above average, please send Quilting Nana a note and nominate TWO swappers that you feel deserve a GOLD STAR .

Sign-up closes on Jan 21st.   Blocks must be mailed on or before Feb 11 and one week earlier for International swappers.

--
GardenGal
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:28:31 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Sky:

A - 4.5" x 8.5"     B 1.5" x 4.5"       C  1.5" squares (2 of them)      D  2.5" x 2.5"

Roof / Door

G  2.5" x 7.5 "      H  1.5" x 4.5"       J  2.5" x 2.5"                 K  2.5" x 4.5"

Barn:

F  2.5" x4.5"   2.5" x 2.5"    M  2.5" x5.5" (2 of these)   N 2"x4.5"  (4 of these)    O 1.5" x 7.5"  (2 of these) 

Traditional quilt block pattern:

This needs to measure 4.5" in your hand to sewn it into the barn.  You could sew a 3.5" inch block and border it with to bring it up to 4.5" but please make sure the border doesn't blend into the barn fabric. 

--
GardenGal
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:32:08 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Swapper PM block pattern status
 gg  -  Ohio Star  sewing
 Bonita  Y  Pinwheel (small)  signed up
 mimi  Y  Dutchman's Puzzle  signed up
 Leah  Y  Schoolgirl's Puzzle  signed up
 firesideQ  Y  Bordered Pinwheel   sewing
 fabriholic  Y  Churn Dash  signed up
 EvelynnB  Y  Double pinwheel  signed up
 Nancy-MN  Y  Amish Diamond  signed up
 CarolRacicot  Y  friendship star  signed up
 you?      

--
Bonita
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:38:20 AM(UTC)
Bonita

I'm in and I choose the pinwheel center block. PM sent

Got your PM, well call that pattern ' small pinwheel ' - I love it!!    Hoping if anyone does the larger pinwheel they make it as a 3" block and border it.  

Bonita
Mimi
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 11:25:27 AM(UTC)
Mimi

This looks like fun and just the right style for my kitchen wall hangings.  PM on the way and I'll take the lower right corner (Dutchman's Puzzle) 

Woohoo and Welcome!!!   Dutchman's Puzzle is GREAT!!

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
firesidequilter
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:01:15 PM(UTC)
firesidequilter

GG...
I'm in and will do a 3 inch pinwheel and add border to make it 4.5 square!
PM on way!

That'll be GRAND!!!

Good friends make ya laugh; really good ones make ya snort!
lttlmllr
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 2:02:25 PM(UTC)
lttlmllr

I am in, I found a block called Triangle Weave, not sure thats the only name for it PM on the way 

I know it as Schoolgirl's Puzzle but call it by any name, it's a SWELL pattern for a barn!!!

Leah

Never underestimate the power of a woman with a sewing machine
Fabriholic
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:55:41 PM(UTC)
Fabriholic

Sign me up please. I would like to do churn dash please

Got ya down for a churn dash, let me know if you want to border it.  No problem either way.  It'll be a great block to add to our collection.

Sheila
Today is a new day!
EvelynB
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 9:20:20 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

PM sent.  I do love block in a block quilts.

I’m considering the turnstile block. Looks like I can paperpiece it.

That was taken by Bonita.  I didn't know the name of it until I looked up Turnstile.  Anything else sound good to ya?

Nancy_MN
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:14:42 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I'm in! Off to look for a block design. Say, what's the mailing date?

Feb 11 - Welcome 

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
carolracicot
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 8:05:14 AM(UTC)
carolracicot

I'm in, has anyone taken the friendship star?  Sending pm

Got your pm and replied.  Remember the traditional block needs to measure 4.5" in your hand unless you make it 3.5" and sew a border to enlarge it.  :)  Welcome Carol !!!

Be faithful in small things, it is in them that your strength lies
Bonita
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:15:52 AM(UTC)
Bonita

Question, GG. It looks like from the picture the light color for the traditional block is some sort of cream or beige color is that what we are using?

Bonita
Mimi
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:54:37 AM(UTC)
Mimi

Originally Posted by: Bonita Go to Quoted Post

Question, GG. It looks like from the picture the light color for the traditional block is some sort of cream or beige color is that what we are using?

Good question Bonita!! What's the background color ?  Cream tot, white tot, any light fabric you want?  

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
Nancy_MN
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:06:46 AM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I'll do "Amish Diamond" - also known as "New Album."
Fabriholic
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 2:34:08 PM(UTC)
Fabriholic

I made my little sample churn dash!   It is soooo cute!  I will use a variety of colors in the blocks.  I don't want anyones to be the same. 

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Krazymama
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 8:27:28 PM(UTC)
Krazymama

This will be a really cute quilt!  

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain.
EvelynB
#17 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 2:56:56 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I bought my fabrics today. Got to finish washing all the towels and sheets before I can wash my fabrics. It was amazing how many burp towels those babies needed this week! All my clothes smell like spoiled milk too. So laundry first and quilting next.
Fabriholic
#18 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 9:53:47 PM(UTC)
Fabriholic

Checking in.  I have my red and fabrics for my churn dashes washed and dried.  Searching stash for black and my sky fabric.  Will start working on these next week.  One of my NYD quilt along projects. 

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Nancy_MN
#19 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 11:46:45 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Checking in. Can't start until I finish current project.
GardenGal
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 9:57:59 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

So far I've used 3 different sky fabrics.   Nice swap to use up pieces smaller than a fat quarter and the traditonal blocks are great for using up those cream prints too!!

--
Rss Feed  Atom Feed