Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

32 Pages123>»
jcorsbie
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:59:37 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

2019 QATW Swap Theme:
something old, something new
something borrowed, something blue

2019 QATW MYSTERY QUILT

WINDMILLS AND STREAMS

INTRODUCTION
Welcome to the 2019  QATW Mystery Quilt (MQ), .  You have heard the saying, "quilting makes the quilt";  well, color makes the design.  This year's MQ is a traditional design and you guessed it, color plays an important part in devulging the design.   Keep in mind when choosing fabric for a quilt, especially a mystery quilt, one of the first and most important things to consider is CONTRAST.  There are two major ways to create that contrast:  COLOR AND PATTERN.

PATTERN
Remember your quilting basics and choose large, small and medium prints for variety.

COLOR
Sew, before beginning our 2019 QATW MQ, here is a quick review about color. I have included an excerpt from my favorite article about color. (Quilt in a Day article, Creating With Color by Patricia Knoechel: A Guide for Quilters. "A Guide for Quilter’s : Each color that we see has hue, value and intensity. When discussing color we shall refer to them using these terms. The three dimensions of color are discussed more fully in the following pages.

HUE
The word color is a general term which can refer to only one color or to many colors.  When we refer to one selected color by name, we are speaking of its hue.  For example, red is a hue.  The word hue can be used interchangeably with the word color. Within each color family, are a wide range of hues.  For example, within the red color family are the hues: rose, pink, burgundy, mauve, magenta, cranberry, brick. The spectrum colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet.  They are known as pure colors, meaning they have not been altered through tinting (adding white) or shading (adding a darker color or a complement). The neutrals: white, black, gray and beige are referred to as colors.  In quilting the neutral colors provide the background on which the other colors interact with one another.
  1. Primary Colors are red, yellow and blue.  When mixed in varying proportions, they make all the other colors.
  2. Secondary Colors are violet, green and orange they are created when mixing equal proportions of any two  primary colors.
  3. Tertiary Colors are red-orange, yellow-orange, yellow-green, blue-green, blue-violet, and red-violet. They are  created by mixing one primary color and one secondary color.
  4. Complementary Colors are opposite one another on the color wheel.  They are composed of one primary color and one secondary color such as red and green, blue and orange, yellow and violet.
  5. Analogous Colors are a combination of three or more adjacent colors are combined, such as green, blue-green and blue.

VALUE
The value of a color is its’ lightness or darkness.  By tinting or adding white, a color becomes lighter in  value.  Pink is a tint of red.  Through shading (adding a dark color or a complement), a color becomes darker in value.  Navy is a shade of blue. A tone is created by adding gray. The word tone is also used to describe a color or group of colors, such as green tones. In quilting, when we refer to light, medium and dark fabrics, we are speaking of the overall values of the fabric.  These values fall into specific categories on a value scale.

Seen individually, we can describe each fabric as light, medium or dark.  However VALUE is relative to the other fabrics used in combination.  While a medium might appear light against a dark background, the same fabric would appear dark against a light background. To achieve a look of depth in a quilt, include a full range of values.  To get the most depth, show strong contrasts between light and dark.  High contrast quilts are bold and dramatic.  However, if you prefer a softer more blended look, choose fabrics with less range on the value scale, such as medium to light.  Because value is relative, be cautious about adding a very dark fabric to a predominately light quilt. Quilts done in all medium values can appear flat.  To add interest, choose fabrics in a variety of colors and patterns.

CONTRASTING VALUE
The placement of value in a quilt pattern accentuates the design. The points of a star stand out dramatically  when a very dark star point is against a  light background. While a bold look is achieved through a strong contrast of values, a more subtle look can be achieved through a gradual transition in values.
For example, in the log cabin, the fabrics are arranged in an order which becomes increasingly darker or lighter in value.  This gradual change in value is called a gradation or graduating values. To achieve balance and interest in your quilt, show contrasting values in some areas, and subtle graduations in other areas.

INTENSITY
Intensity refers to the brightness or dullness of a color.  As seen on the color wheel, the pure hues are the most intense.  As they are shaded or grayed they become more dull and subdued. Generally speaking, we combine colors with similar intensities.  Pastel shades create a soft feminine look.    Brights are great for kids, or kids at heart.  Achieve an antique or muted look with dusty or grayed fabrics.  Earth colors convey a warm, homey quality.  Brilliant jewel tones give a vibrant contemporary look. Bright colors advance while dull colors recede.  A sparkle effect is created when an intense color is added  to a predominately muted color scheme.  Use the intense color in a small proportion, as an accent.

SUGGESTIONS FOR FABRIC COMBINING 
Start with an inspirational fabric which contains two or more of your main colors. Select several different values of your main colors in a variety of scales or textures. Combine fabric with similar style or personality, such as vintage, whimsical, oriental, or traditional. Select from the following combinations:

Monochromatic - Combine colors from the same color family in a variety of values from light to dark. Warm and Cool - The warm colors (red, yellow, orange) advance, or appear to move forward, while the cool colors appear to recede. When combining warm and cool colors, excitement is achieved as the colors play back and forth. Use the colors in unequal portions, and let one color dominate.

Analogous Colors - To create a visually harmonic design combine three to five colors adjacent to one another on the color wheel.

Complementary Colors - When placing a color next to its opposite on the color wheel, they intensify one another with stunning results. In choosing fabrics, the most important consideration is to pick the colors that you truly love. Select with your heart, and not with your intellect. Trust your intuition. Relax, play and let the colors speak to you. By choosing your favorite colors, quilting becomes therapy, as the colors affect our emotions and energy levels. They bring joy and excitement into our lives. The experience of creativity is one of great reward as it brings enrichment and fulfillment into our lives. (From Quilt in a Day article, "Creating With Color by Patricia Knoechel: A Guide for Quilter’s".)

FACTS ANS FABRIC REQUIREMENTS
The size of our quilt will finish at 60" x 84", before borders. 

FABRIC  VALUE YARDAGE
Fabric #1 Light/Background 3 yards
Fabric #2 Medium 1 yard
Fabric #3 Medium - Dark 1.5 yards (1-1/2 yards)
Fabric #4 Dark or Accent 1.25 yards (1-1/4 yards)
Borders This amount creates 5" borders 1.5 yards (1-1/2 yards)
  This amount creates 10" borders 2.5 yards (2-1/2 yards)
Binding  

1 yard

Backing This amount for 5" borders

5.75 yards (5-3/4 yards)

This amount for 10" borders

7.5 yards (7-1/2 yards)

FABRIC PREPARTION
  • Prewash all your fabrics
  • There are bias edges in this design.  One way to stabilize bias edges is to starch or size all your fabrics before cutting
  • Standard fabric selection of one fabric per fabric number (fabric #1, fabric #2, etc)works well.  Controlled scrappy will also work.  Just keep the same values as indicated above           
  • Have your fabric ready to go on January 1st.  The first clue of the 2019 QATW MQ will be released on Elvis' 84th birthday.

Let's have some mega fun!!!

This is one selection possiblity in Kansas Troubles:

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
jcorsbie
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:58:58 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

To join, post below and send a PM to jcorsbie with your given and QATW names, mailing and email address, and telephone number.

Post when you have completed a part. Be sure to post pictures.

There will be a small swap at the end; no, not your mystery quilt but something fun & related.

COMPLETED
NO SWAPPER PM INTRO PART 1 PART 2 PART 3 PART 4 PART 5 PART 6 PART 7 PART 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11
01  jcorsbie/jann hostess  X  done  done  done  done  done  done   done   done   done   done   done   done
02  Dorian/Dorian   X  done  done  done  done  done  done    done    done    done   done     done
03   firesidequilter/Doonna  X  done  done  done  done  done  done   done   done   done   done     done
04   sititchintime/Barb  X  done  done    done  done  done  done  done  done  done  done    done
05   uspslady/Karla  X  done  done  done  done  done  done   done   done   done   done     done
06   monalee/Mona  X  done  done  done  done  done              
07   Quiltbaby/Candis  X   done   done   done   done   done   done   done  done    done   done     done
08   2manyhorses/Darlene  X   done   done   done   done   done   done            
09   mimi2jefftye/Sally  X                        
10   Nancy_MN/Nancy  X      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -      doing later      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
11   Globug/Gloria  X   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done     done
12   brownquilting/Lorraine  X                        
13   sorefingers/Kay  X   done   done  done    done   done   done   done   done   done   done     done
14   JudyT/Judy  X   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done     done
15   NanaTubby/Missie  X  done  done  done                  
16   Patti.Cockfield/Patti  X  done  done  done  done  done  done   done   done   done   done     done
17   Bonita/Bonita  X   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done   done     done
18   Leslie/Leslie  X  done  done  done  done  done  done  done  done  done  done    done
19   GardenGal/gg/Glenda  X                        
20   KathyFL/Kathy  X                        
21   murffja/Jessica  X                        
22   jw3280/Jean  X                         
23   Annette/Annette  X  done                      
24   cv_quilter/Sharon  X   done  done  done  done  done  done            
25   Agnes/Agnes  X  done                      
26   judikay/Judi  X   done   done   done   done   done   done            
27   Mawlinda/Linda  X  done  done  done  done  done  done            
28   gailb/Gail  X                        
29   Cosmocat/Tracey  X  done  done  done  done  done  done  done  done  done  done    done
30   QuiltingBeachy/Irene  x                        

jann

Dorian
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:40:20 AM(UTC)
Dorian

PM sent Jann, but I am curious.. how come you need our mailing addy/etc?.. I don't mind giving, just wondering why 

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
jcorsbie
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:50:02 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

We need the address to mail the swap items.  Although, you will be making your own quilt, if you read in section 2, there will be a small surprise swap at the end of the MQ. 

We ask for the personal information  to enroll in all swaps, primarily for the reason above. But, also,  unfortunately, in the past, we have had a few swappers who have not fulfilled their obligations.  This is so we can contact them if they ignore a PM.  We also need the address to mail the swap items.  Although, you will be making your own quilt, if you read in section 2, there will be a small surprise swap at the end of the MQ.

The information is not shared. And you should only share in a PM to a hostess, not inside the swap, for privacy reasons. 

jann

firesidequilter
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:51:39 AM(UTC)
firesidequilter

Joining the fun.. 

Oompa Loompa doompadee doo...
cv quilter
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:52:26 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Good morning.  Just reading through, going to see what I have in my stash.  Jann, what will be the amount of backing needed since the first amounts apprear to be typos? 

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
jcorsbie
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:55:01 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

Good morning.  Just reading through, going to see what I have in my stash.  Jann, what will be the amount of backing needed since the first amounts apprear to be typos? 

5.75 (5-3/4) yards if you do 5" borders or below

7.5 (7-1/2) yards if you do 10: borders or below

I have now added yardage amounts in fractions, in addition to decimals.

jann

uspslady
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:02:23 AM(UTC)
uspslady

Ok,  I'm joining so sign me up.

monalee
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:15:13 AM(UTC)
monalee

I am sending a pm Jann.
Quiltbaby
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:41:41 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Sending a PM. Excited. Will look at fabric today.
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
2manyhorses
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:35:29 AM(UTC)
2manyhorses

Sending a pm .I am looking forward to a new mystery quilt.Thanks Jann
brownquilting
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:42:38 AM(UTC)
brownquilting

Im in.

Lorraine
Deep in the heart of .....
GloBug
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:49:23 AM(UTC)
GloBug

I'm sending my PM.

Looking forward to Elvis's birthday on January 8th, 2019!!  I always remember his birthday because it's a day after my birthday and he's 19 years older than me...just like my mom (both born in 1935).

uspslady
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:50:40 AM(UTC)
uspslady

I've sent the PM to you, Jan.  

Leslie
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 12:56:48 PM(UTC)
Leslie

Will check but don’t think I have enough yardage
Leslie
uspslady
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:10:20 PM(UTC)
uspslady

I'm planning on using batiks since that is what I have most of in my stash.  Do I need to use as many different fabrics as you show in your example above?  Or can it be just the 4 different fabric colors/hues?

Nancy_MN
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:15:02 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Please sign me up! PM sent.

Time to dive into the stash!
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Dorian
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:25:30 PM(UTC)
Dorian

I have been having fun this morning  looking thru my stash. I pretty much have to use my stash... unless Santa leaves me some fabric money 

My hues don't work out as well as those browns/creams that Jann put in the first post. But I am wondering if it will work out anyways? Is the flowers on the black too big? This is just one option of mine, but my favorite.  Input please :)

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
jcorsbie
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:57:13 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: Dorian Go to Quoted Post

I have been having fun this morning  looking thru my stash. I pretty much have to use my stash... unless Santa leaves me some fabric money 

My hues don't work out as well as those browns/creams that Jann put in the first post. But I am wondering if it will work out anyways? Is the flowers on the black too big? This is just one option of mine, but my favorite.  Input please :)

Beautiful fabrics.  The black is perfect for the borders.  How about a cream for the background/light and a dark green for your dark/accent?

jann

jcorsbie
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:59:15 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: uspslady Go to Quoted Post

I'm planning on using batiks since that is what I have most of in my stash.  Do I need to use as many different fabrics as you show in your example above?  Or can it be just the 4 different fabric colors/hues?

I am doing the controlled scrappy with Kansas Troubles because I love them and have so many.  Batiks would be lovely.  And four different fabrics work perfectly; add a border fabric and you are ready to go for the top.

jann

Rss Feed  Atom Feed