Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
lttlmllr
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 10:28:44 AM(UTC)
lttlmllr

Are you tired of the same old thing? Do you need new ideas to add to your menu? This would be the place to talk about your favorite dishes to cook and just maybe you might find a new idea to add to your menu. Do you use a slow cooker or an insta pot? Best thing to cook and reheat (leave more time to sew )? lets have it ladies...

Leah

Never underestimate the power of a woman with a sewing machine
lttlmllr
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 10:43:34 AM(UTC)
lttlmllr

I love to make beef stew. This is my way...

1 pound of stew meat cut into small bite size pieces

1 small bag of frozen mixed veggies

5-7 small-med red potatoes cut into small bite size pieces

1 large spoon full of beef bouillon (Better than Bouillon is brand I use)

salt and pepper

2-3 cups of flour

4+ cups of water

First mix salt and pepper into flour and coat the stew meat. Pan fry the meat in stew pot until browned using small batches. Set aside beef and used flour (you will use this later). Leave cooked on bits at the bottom of the pot. Add 2 cups of water, with a wooden spoon scrape the bits off the bottom and add bouillon. In a cup, mix 2 cups of water and 1/2 the remaining flour, slowly wisk this mix into the pot to thicken to desired thickness, you can add more water if desired. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes, veggies, and beef into pot. Cook until potatoes are soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy. You can also exchange potatoes for barley, just as yummy!

Leah

Never underestimate the power of a woman with a sewing machine
Dorian
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 11:45:27 AM(UTC)
Dorian

Great idea!

I just had stew last night Leah! I use a chuck roast, cook it in the crock pot for 3 hrs, then add cut up potatoes and veggies, cut up the meat and add it back to the cp for a few more hrs.

Homemade maccaroni and cheese is a favorite here:

Bring a pot of water to boil. Add 3 cups of maccaroni noodles and simmer till soft.

Drain the noodles and add to the pot 1/4 c of butter, melt that and add 2 tsp flour, mix together into a rue. Add one can of evaporated milk, stirring all the while. Add about 1 tsp All seasoning (brand name), and a dash of mustard. Mix, then add about 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use medium cheddar). Mix and add the noodles. Mix thoroughly and simmer till the cheese sauce thickens up.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
EvelynB
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 11:57:05 AM(UTC)
EvelynB

I fixed taco soup. Easy with taco mix and ranch dressing packets. Love putting it into the slow cooker when I get up. Hamburger meat, onions, seasonings, cans of pinto beans or white northern beans, and hominy. Yum! Perfect as leftovers in rainy cold weather.

cv quilter
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:37:55 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Well, Leah and all, this will be a great resource.  Leah, your stew sounds yummy.  Dorian, we just had almost the same meal....used a boneless chuck, cooked it in the crock pot with veggies, just like stew when we cut the meat up, and next day had noodles with leftover meat in gravy!   OH MY, so good.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
monalee
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:04:40 PM(UTC)
monalee

I am fighting a sinus infection, got meds Yesterday, so I threw cooked chicken thighs, pasta and Alfredo sauce in my instant pot. 10 minutes later it was ready and yummy.
cv quilter
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:14:59 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

We still don't have an Instapot...thinking we need one.

Sharon
EvelynB
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:39:12 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Ask Santa for the Instapot. My son happily got me one and we took turns cooking with it while he visited. Plan to buy one for my grandson this Christmas. I hated my pressure cooker but this is so much easier and efficient.
GardenGal
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:41:00 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Tonight I'm going to make Taco meat and it will be eaten in Hard shells, soft shells and I'll put mine over shredded lettuce.   It's an easy dish that everyone can eat it the way they like it best.

--
gailb
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 4:16:21 PM(UTC)
gailb

We went out and picked a ton of peppers from the garden yesterday. Tonight we're having stuffed peppers. I made enough to be able to freeze some. We also froze several bags of sliced green peppers.  I dehydrated 2 big batches of jalepnos, too.  We have some more to pick in a few days, and I will finally be done with them.  We had a great crop!

I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.
Dorian
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:27:38 PM(UTC)
Dorian

GG, I do the same thing on taco night. With 6 of us, there is always someone who doesn't like something, so I make both the hard shells and soft shells and then people have it the way they want it.

Tonight I made salsibury steak, mushroom gravy and regular gravy, mashed tators and salad.

cv quilter
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:30:51 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Gail, stuffed peppers sound wonderful.  Do you bake them or crock pot them?  My Mom made the BEST, and I've tried to copy, but mine never taste as good as hers.  Mine are OK, but Mom's were best.

Sharon
jcorsbie
#13 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 11:46:49 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Our youngest son is coming for the weekend so we went to the butcher shop at the School of Agriculture at the University of Florida and purchased 30-day aged filets.  They are so delicious and tender and grass fed.  (and best yet -- half the price of the grocery stores).  Will also fix twice basked potatoes for the guys and some baked cauliflower. 

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
cv quilter
#14 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 12:26:12 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I'm coming to your house for dinner....what time will it be ready?  Can I help?

Sharon
gailb
#15 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 9:56:55 PM(UTC)
gailb

Sharon, I do mine in the crockpot. I like the peppers really soft.
I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.
cv quilter
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 7:30:08 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Gail, that's how I do mine, in the crock pot.  I know I used to do them in the oven and they never really got soft, even though I would parboil them.  Love the flavors that develop as they cook slowly.  I think I have to go buy some peppers...I'm getting hungry.

I must have been hungry when I went out....I ended up coming home with an instant pot and think I'll make stuffed peppers on Monday.

Sharon
Dorian
#17 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 6:12:55 PM(UTC)
Dorian

I did steak, sauteed it in a bit of butter and olive oil; baked potatoes and salad... One of my very favorite meals 

EvelynB
#18 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 7:06:37 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

We also had steak, thinly sliced and sauteed with lots of onions and bell peppers. Put it on top of our salads with avocado and cheese. Yummy!

dogsbody
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 8:00:51 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

I made chicken fried rice. Chicken breast, cut in cubes, rolled in cornstarch with a little ginger mixed in, then browned well in oil. Remove when brown and tender, set aside. To the hot oil I add a coarsely diced onion and bellpepper strips, some frozen mixed veggies, saute til getting tender, add some pepper to taste. Push aside and quickly scramble a couple of eggs, then stir them in, adding the chicken back in. Add cooked rice, stir in with some soy sauce, and its done. Portions depend on how much you need. You can substitute pork loin for the chicken, or even shrimp.

EvelynB
#20 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 8:32:51 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

You make it sound easy, dogsbody, and yummy. I have veggies and chicken. Need some ginger to try it. TFS
Quiltbaby
#21 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 9:06:27 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Jann, what a yummy meal, that beef sounds amazing! Yummy
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Rss Feed  Atom Feed