Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Eponine1984
#1 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 7:33:43 PM(UTC)
Eponine1984

I've just placed my order for a longarm quilting machine - a Nolting Fun Quilter 23. Does anyone here longarm? I've got a couple weeks before delivery to do my research (and I've been researching for awhile before placing the order), but I wanted to ask some questions to ladies I know.

What thread do you use? Any you recommend to absolutely try or to absolutely avoid? It seems like a lot of longarmers use polyester thread and I'm used to hearing the "only cotton" mantra.

What are your favorite resources for learning? I read a bunch of blogs and follow some fabulous professional longarmers on instagram...but that feels a bit like trying to enter the Olympics 100-meter freestyle and only knowing how to doggy paddle.

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
cv quilter
#2 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 7:37:56 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

This is exciting!!!!  Just last week I read about the Nolting LA.  Looks like an awesome machine.   I do have a BabyLock Tiara III LA quilt machine, but your machine is exciting and I can't wait to hear/see about what your experience is with the Nolting.  I don't think the knowledge I have with the BL would help you any.  But, how fun for you!!!!  Congratulations. 

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Quiltbaby
#3 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 7:40:29 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I have a long arm, my machine responds best to king tut. I use prewounds in my bobbin from Superior. I have had such luck with these two , that I rarely change it up. I just hate tension problems. Seems like if I switch I have to mess with my tension a lot. I had to get used to mine, I just practiced a lot. You may find classes in yours helpful. Utube videos too. Just learning your machine inside and out and your frame. This helps the most. Oh and Congrats, very exciting. I love mine!
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
stitchintime
#4 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 8:06:52 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

What fun for you, Heather.  Congratulations.  I don't have a LA so I'm no help but super excited for you.  I do keep entering the APQS contest to try to win one, though...lol.

Barb
GloBug
#5 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 9:45:33 PM(UTC)
GloBug

. . . . running to the APQS contest to try and win Barb's LA....lol!! 

Heather, congratulations on your new LA!!  I'm sorry, I do not know anything about LA's but I wanted to send you congrats!!

cv quilter
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:24:49 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: stitchintime Go to Quoted Post

What fun for you, Heather.  Congratulations.  I don't have a LA so I'm no help but super excited for you.  I do keep entering the APQS contest to try to win one, though...lol.

Barb, I've been entering that contest, too, EVERY day!  What a dream, huh?

Sharon
LauraB
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:15:16 PM(UTC)
LauraB

I have yet to do a quilt per say on my long arm, so probably not a lot help either. I purchased a King Quilter and have practiced on sheets a lot. While they sent King tut with my machine, I went with Glide thread for two reasons. I stopped in to see Karen McTavish and that is what she uses and sells. So I can get it easily if I need it. What she said was find a thread you like and stick with it. So to speak. It is about getting the feel of your machine with any given thread and how it runs and the tension with said thread. I have had very little issues with it. The issue I have is the learning curve for running a long arm versus sitting at my machine doing FMQ. Once you and your machine are in sync with the thread you pick, you will be able to grab that thread and set up and run with very little tension issues. If you continually switch thread you are going to have to continually fiddle with the tension.

I am still nervous about putting a quilt on and just doing it. I did have one on and then took it iff and put a sheet on for more practice 🤣😂🤣🤣😂
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
stitchintime
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:57:14 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Laura, I have plenty of tops for you to practice on.....  and I promise I wouldn't be nearly as particular as you are yourself.....lol

Barb
stitchintime
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:58:33 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

Barb, I've been entering that contest, too, EVERY day!  What a dream, huh?

It is a dream, Sharon, though where I would put it if I won is anyone's guess.  

Barb
LauraB
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:17:00 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Originally Posted by: stitchintime Go to Quoted Post
Laura, I have plenty of tops for you to practice on..... and I promise I wouldn't be nearly as particular as you are yourself.....lol

Someone else offered me theirs too. Seriously you would be disappointed. As soon as I feel I can do anything other than squigglies I may take you up on that offer.
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
monalee
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:09:04 PM(UTC)
monalee

You sound like me Laura! I bought a used Bailey and keep looking for lessons to take. I still haven’t done a whole quilt on the frame, just the table. At my daughter’s I haven’t tried to move the frame here. I have faith I will get to take lessons and rent a machine go get going.
Eponine1984
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:50:37 PM(UTC)
Eponine1984

Thank you for all the help! My machine arrives next Wednesday at 9am. Eek!

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
LauraB
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:06:38 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Wishing you all the best with your new machine.
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
cv quilter
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:13:45 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: Eponine1984 Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for all the help! My machine arrives next Wednesday at 9am. Eek!

I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear/read what your next post is after you receive your new machine.  

Sharon
uandiquilt
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:30:02 PM(UTC)
uandiquilt

Heather,
Congrats on getting a longarm. I hope you love it!! Don’t be intimidated. Just jump in and use it. Practice, practice, practice.
Cotton thread is fine. I have used Connecting Thread’s Essential Cotton with good results. I prefer it over Signature cotton. The drawback is that cotton thread is so linty compared to polyester thread. You really need to clean the bobbin are to get the lint out. I have had good results using Sew Fine by Superior Threads and find that I can get more yards of polyester thread on a bobbin so I don’t run out as often. I have also used Fantastico, Rainbow and Glide - am happy with all of them. Sometimes I like the shiny thread and other times I want the matte finish. Feel free to experiment.
There are good U-Tube videos demonstrating quilting design how tos. The APQS web site also has some great videos. You can also find used pantographs for sale on the APQS Forum.
Good luck and happy quilting!!
Chris
Rss Feed  Atom Feed