Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Eponine1984
#1 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 11:09:04 AM(UTC)
Eponine1984

Are you a quilt rebel? A rule breaker? Do you throw all caution to the wind when it comes to quilting?

Or do you stay inside the lines, follow the rules to the letter, and never step a toe out of line?

Share your confessions here! I'll start: (these are all confessions for my personal sewing, I follow ALL the rules when I swap)

I don't always prewash my fabrics - if I buy a jelly roll or other pre-cuts, I just start sewing. I'll toss a couple color catchers in when I wash the quilt. I'm not super worried about shrinkage because I use quality fabrics and I like the crinkly effect you get anyway.

My 1/4" seam isn't always scant. Or entirely consistent. Sometimes I just want to be finished, and I'm okay with "close enough is good enough" in my own personal quilts. With enough pushing and pulling, my blocks mostly fit together.

I sometimes sew wonky borders and don't fix them. It'll all quilt out, or crinkle up in the wash, and I don't really worry about squaring up - a wonky quilt is just as cuddly as a perfect quilt.

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Dorian
#2 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 11:20:20 AM(UTC)
Dorian

Oh man Heather, you and me both! LOL. For myself, not for swaps...

I, too, don't prewash fabrics. I always buy quality fabrics and have never had them bleed or shrink a whole bunch.

I also don't always use a scant 1/4". Although for the bear paw swap I put a piece of foam tape on my machine to help me keep my seams a straight scant 1/4" and I like it there so will probably continue to use it.

If I am quilting and there is a small tuck here and there, I usually just leave it alone and don't requilt that part.

My quilts will never win at any shows, but thats not why I am making them, so I dont care :)

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
Fabriholic
#3 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 11:40:27 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

Love this!

This is why I like scrappy quilts.  Being able to take out a box of strips, and just start stringing them together, just needing to make sure that your seam is at least a 1/4 inch so none pop.  But they can be bigger.  And then you know what - You can " Cut them to Size" after you are done! 

I don't generally pre-wash either, only for swaps.  

I also combine flannel and cotton  because those are the colors I am looking for.  

Sheila
Today is a new day!
dogsbody
#4 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 12:25:41 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

I never have pre-washed anything in my life. And since it is MY quilt, I WILL do my own thang, whatever that may be, to get the results I want. I have been quilting long enough I know what I can get away with, and what simply won't work. Press to the dark side? Not unless that is the way it works best for the pattern.

cv quilter
#5 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 3:51:20 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I rarely pre wash...except for the QATW swaps.  I find that I have never had shrinkage that is unreasonable.... I use many quilt shop quality fabrics, and have evens found I may a little bit of shrinkage with them.  I have also found this to be true with many of the Joann's fabrics...they are now carrying some much nicer fabrics.  Many of my utility type quilts are made with Joann'sI do use color washers if I have used red or purple or blue fabrics..I do try very hard to maintain a 1/4 inch seam.  I have a 1/4 inch foot that consistently gives me the seam I want.  Quilting...I am learning to get along pretty well with my Tiara machine, but have yet to maintain the consitency in stitching.  It definitely is a learning curve for me.  I spray baste and quilt and for the most part, have very little problem with a wrinkle on the back, but if I do, I have the I don't care attitude, too.  Most of my quilts are gifted or donated, many stay with me.  I have never entered my quilts in a show, they'd laugh me out of there. lol.  I wash my quilts when I have the binding on and can't wait to get them out of the dryer.  The more crinkled/wrinkled they look, the better.  Makes them much more cuddly and loved.  I've never had anyone give me a quilt back because the seams weren't even or because the borders were wonky.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
EvelynB
#6 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 5:39:05 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I am surprised to discover I am a rebel here. I always prewash (except for kaliedoscope quilts). My new fabrics is deposited into the washing machine before I put down my purse. I've entered many quilts into quilt shows. But I don't enter them for their perfection. I enter when I have a unique quilt that I think others might enjoy, even laugh at. Here's a challenge quilted wallhanging that I got a ribbon on. I bought the fabric set from our guild and had a year to make something unique by adding 1-3 fabrics. So many gorgeous, perfect quilts were entered. Mine had the judge and others laughing out loud. The judge wrote on her critique that she had never seen a quilt with actual trash quilted into the top. I had to move furniture in my guest bedroom to find all that trash and even went out into the garden to get bird feathers. The cat enjoyed me brushing her to get more hair to use. It was fun to see the reaction of attendees at the show. I hang it in my entry hall at times with the set of crocheted ugly dust bunnies sitting on my table. I write in the dust (cocoa powder) a message of welcome to guests. 

EvelynB
#7 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 5:41:13 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

My award winning dust bunny quilt with leaves, feathers, cat hair, and real dust bunnies in the quilting.

EvelynB
#8 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 5:46:03 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Spring in West Texas also gives us some real dust to use so I don't have to add cocoa powder. When the streets look like this, it's impossible to keep out the real thing. Some days you can't see across the street. 

mimi2jefftye
#9 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 5:51:38 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

Well my turn, forgive me for I have sinned.

I sew with straight pins in my mouth.

I tend to start too many projects and finish too few.

I never prewash fabric.  (The only fabric washed is that for our swaps, have been known to take a scrap and wash it in the sink just to be able to meet the requirements for swapping.)

I am obsessive about my seams and points matching.  (I do not care if the rider on a horse galloping by cannot see it, or when I am asleep under the quilt I will not see it.)  Thank you mother (otherwise known as Patty Perfect Points)  LOL

I do not care for CW or 30's.  (although I will join swaps using them and then complain to myself that I have to go buy some because there is not any of those fabrics in my stash)

I do not change my needle until it breaks.  Unless it pulls threads and feels like there is burr on it.

I do not drop my feed dogs when I free motion quilt.

I gotta stop or you all will never allow me to join another swap!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
mimi2jefftye
#10 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 5:52:34 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

Evelyn, I love your dust bunny quilt!!!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
Cosmocat12
#11 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 5:56:49 PM(UTC)
Cosmocat12

I confess to letting a bit of the white selvage into my blocks sometimes if I have cut close to the edge. Also the "bumps" from the selvage make it in too sometimes.

Tracey
EvelynB
#12 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:00:38 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Here's another of my unique quilts. This one was made to hang in my classroom. I made it as a diversion for parents during PTA Open House. If I'm talking to them and standing beside the quilt, they'll be trying to figure out the puzzles. It also won a ribbon and a special $50 silver dollar award for being unqiue. If you can read the top row you can see "three blind mice" and "sit down and shut up". The second row has "middle age spread". The fourth row has "an A for effort". The fifth row has "a panic button" and "Uncle Sam wants you". The bottom row has "partly cloudy" and "scrambled eggs". At the quilt show the attendees had a great time trying to figure out all the sayings. I had dozens of bulletin boards of these puzzles. Many companies use these types of puzzles as a test to determine the intelligence of their job applicants. With practice you get better and better with them. I had many ex-students come back to thank me for the bulletin boards of puzzles. It helped them impress and get jobs. 

EvelynB
#13 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:01:55 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I also confess to using a bit of crayon to color fabrics when I don't have the right one for an applique. I also like to use the back side of a fabric for a more muted choice.

EvelynB
#14 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:34:22 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Last confession: I steal ideas for quilts. It's a major reason I join groups like this and why I attend quilt shows. I saw this cute quilt and plan to make one ASAP just because it's so precious. I might even get it quilted and stash it in my gift closet. I certainly have a bunch of quilt blocks made and saved. The quilt police don't come to my house so I have dozens of sets of swap blocks that would be available to use. This is NOT my idea or my quilt. I have, however, seen many similar quilts over the decades so don't think it's original.

dogsbody
#15 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:54:05 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

The one I am quilting now; the backing is wrong-side fabric, as is the entire background on the front. It just worked better

cv quilter
#16 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:04:23 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

LOVING all of these confessions....stealing some.

Sharon
Dorian
#17 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:28:19 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Originally Posted by: mimi2jefftye Go to Quoted Post

I do not change my needle until it breaks.  Unless it pulls threads and feels like there is burr on it.

I do not drop my feed dogs when I free motion quilt.

Same here Sally!!

And Tracey, I also use a bit of selvedge in my quilts, from time to time.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
quiltertess
#18 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:32:59 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

I don't always wash my fabrics either...I don't always follow the pattern as written, I like to follow my own ideas...I  do not like to machine quilt, I'd much rather hand quilt, but it takes my forever to finish one...I don't always put a label on my finished quilts...I've also used some of the selvedge in my quilts...I change my needle when it breaks too, but usually not before...I have more fabric than I will ever use in my lifetime, but it doesn't stop me from buying more.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
cv quilter
#19 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:37:59 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: Dorian Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: mimi2jefftye Go to Quoted Post

And Tracey, I also use a bit of selvedge in my quilts, from time to time.

I confess...with a 1/4 inch seam...WHO KNOWS..sometimes it justt works and uses the fabric you have on hand.

Sharon
cv quilter
#20 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:39:17 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I feel, FINALLY, that I am not alone

Sharon
dogsbody
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:55:37 AM(UTC)
dogsbody

Originally Posted by: quiltertess Go to Quoted Post

I don't always wash my fabrics either...I don't always follow the pattern as written, I like to follow my own ideas...I  do not like to machine quilt, I'd much rather hand quilt, but it takes my forever to finish one...I don't always put a label on my finished quilts...I've also used some of the selvedge in my quilts...I change my needle when it breaks too, but usually not before...I have more fabric than I will ever use in my lifetime, but it doesn't stop me from buying more.

I change my needle when it starts going 'thunk, thunk' because thats hard on the machine.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed