Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 12:09:07 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Seriously, what quilt have you made that you are so glad you stuck with it and finished it ?  What was the worst quilt you made or possibly just get it started because you never finished it..   All details, links and pics are welcome. 

--
Leslie
#2 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 1:58:38 PM(UTC)
Leslie

OHHH there have been sooo many.  I think the hardest  and what the %#%#%# was I thinking quilt I ever made was a PP cat quilt,   Oh what a nightmare, never had i even tried PPing before.  But I stuck with it and finished it so happy I did.

Leslie
EvelynB
#3 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 6:22:22 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I agree with Leslie. So many good and bad ones. One reason I have so many UFO's is that I was disappointed with the tops. 

My grandson was born in North Pole, Alaska. When a local quilt shop offered the class for the Christmas quilt Welcome to the North Pole I immediately knew it was meant for me. Took months to applique and years to decide on the quilting. I made two at once. One was in blue background and the other done with whites. On the pole I put a stork button for my grandson's benefit. I gave the white one to my daughter-in-law and hang the other every year. One year they drove here from across the country with their dying cat in the back of the SUV. I was horrified to see that sick cat laying on that quilt. Took me months to reconcile the fact that their 13-year old cat was a beloved member of their family and they wanted her to be comfortable and feel loved. I still have the blue version and will gift it to my grandson when he gets married. 

EvelynB
#4 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 6:33:47 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I was so excited to find a pieced wreath block that I quickly made enough blocks for a queen size bed. BUT I really disliked the alternate fabric blocks I put with them. So it sat unquilted for several years.

EvelynB
#5 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 6:36:23 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I finally realized I needed to take the quilt apart and make a pieced alternate block for my wreaths. Took weeks of unsewing to get them apart then lots of time to make the new blocks. It's a favorite of mine now. BUT I still don't have it quilted. It's huge now made to fit my king size bed and I really lack the energy or strength to quilt it. So sad and stupid.

cv quilter
#6 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 6:47:01 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Evelyn, your story of the North Pole Christmas Quilt touches me. I absolutely know where you come from.  I have made quilts, was so excited about them, gifted them and who knows where they ended up. I made a turning 30 quilt (turning 20 but DIL has a King bed) had it professionally quilted (300 dollars),  and, well, I don't think she loved it...don't even think she liked it! Don't even think it ever got on the bed.  We never know what others will think of our work.  On a HAPPY note your loved ones must have loved your quilt to share it with a much loved pet. 

Your quilts are lovely, and I think your re-make is awesome.  

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
EvelynB
#7 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 7:08:52 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Sharon, I'm trying to be smarter about the gifts I give to family and friends. I've given my daughter lots of quilts and finally realized that none were her colors or style. I'm ever so slow at times. So we went to the quilt shop and she picked out fabrics for a new quilt for her home. I found it a horror to sew and quilt because I disliked the colors and combination of designs. But I pushed through and had it finished to take on our next visit. When I got a photo of my sweet grandbaby on it I was converted. Whatever daughter wants, she'll get. Just last weekend she bought a new bed. King size will be much easier with the new twins. So we may have to get new fabrics for another quilt.

Chelle
#8 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 7:27:07 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Ok so the quilt I am so happy I stuck with is this one: 

Needle turn applique and hand quilted.

The worst is one that I REALLY want to have, but there was no way I was going to finish it.  It's Eureka and it is the quilt made me realize I. Hate. Tiny. Pieces. I was going to make it in red cream and blue.  I ended up using the pieces I had got together and made a baby quilt and a wallhanging. http://animasquilts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=454

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
GardenGal
#9 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 7:31:52 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

EB I just how it turned out.  It was well worth your time and effort to replace those blocks.  It looks like it could have been a kit.  

Chelle I love the applique star quilt.  It is beautiful !!!

--
Quiltbaby
#10 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 8:23:18 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Evelyn and Chelle beautiful. I can see why you both stuck with those.
Chelle that Star quilt with applique blocks has always been on my to do list! I have to do it.

Evelyn. I have always wanted a wreath Christmas quilt like that, every year I say I’m going to make one. Especially when all the Xmas shows come on tv. I see do many! Great job!
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
loveslife
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 8:31:10 AM(UTC)
loveslife

Evelyn, love your quilts and your stories. It truly was one hundred percent worth it to redo your wreath quilt. Great job! It's really beautiful! Will you have it quilted in time to enjoy for the holidays? It sounds like this one would be worth sending out to enjoy! Love your story of choosing for your daughter, nice you were able to push through!

Chelle, beautiful! Great that you persevered!

Karen
I define happiness as a continuous, creative activity.
Teatime
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:45:59 AM(UTC)
Teatime

Funny - how emotional we are about our quilts - and the results are sooo beautiful!

This is The Moose on the Porch 2010 Jelly roll BOM. (still on her website) I thought some of the blocks were pretty goofy - but stuck with their plan. I am so glad I did. I gave this quilt to my  brother. I still have blue Batik blocks I have to put together for myself

Marian
Teatime
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:50:09 AM(UTC)
Teatime

EvelynB did you use a pattern for your wreath quilt? It is so beautiful and I just bought  a few christmas fabric FQs. Your pattern would be perfect.   

Marian
Dorian
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 10:23:53 AM(UTC)
Dorian

Chain quilts are my favorites. I love the wreath Evelyn! It was well worth undoing and redoing. I hope you can manage to quilt it or get it quilted.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
Quiltbaby
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:12:41 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Marian that’s a real beauty, Love those colors!!like
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
EvelynB
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 1:43:54 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Love your quilt, Marian. Samplers are one of my favorites. I get bored sewing the same thing over and over and over.

I didn't have a pattern for the wreath block. I drew it out on EQ7 and made a sample. I already had lots of 2" squares cut out so that was nice. On the center I used a 6.5" square of whites and laid a square on each corner to sew diagonally. Wastes a bit of fabric but always works. Here's my diagram. I randomly placed the small red squares on each wreath. I had to use larger squares to make the necessary HST's. 

EvelynB
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 2:14:07 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Looking at my photo I realize that I used 3.5" white squares instead of two 2" squares. I precut my scraps so had stacks of them ready to sew.
GardenGal
#18 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 7:49:50 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

IF I ever finish my Dear Jane it will be my BEST of times quilt... right now, it's listed as my worst of times.  I picked a thick / hard batting and have had the worst time with hand quilting it.   I have maybe 3 rows quilted and still need to quilt 10 more.  I haven't touched it in years ...   I love it but it's almost a stab quilting job.. don't want to take out what I've done.. dont' want to machine quilt the rest..  UGH

--
cv quilter
#19 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 8:23:30 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Golly, ALL THOSE PIECES!!!!  It's sew pretty, it's a shame to never have it finished.  Is there no way to soften the batting, maybe wash it and see if that helps?

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
jcorsbie
#20 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 5:27:37 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

My worse of times was the beautiful latte quilt.  I made it for my sister and when I was   3/4 done with the quilting, my sister was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer.  I did finish it and it is beautiful and was able to gift it to her but a week after she received it she passed it away.  My nieces gave it back to me but I have not been able to even open the box.  

My best of times quilt was an ugly first quilt I made for my DH.  It's ugly army green with fish.  He loves it and always curls up with -- especially if he doesn't feel well.  He says it makes it well faster.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
Teatime
#21 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 5:35:55 PM(UTC)
Teatime

WoW Evelyn! Thank you so much for sharing. I will print this out and see if it fits with my Christmas fabric. And thanks everyone for your kind words about my quilt. 

Marian
Rss Feed  Atom Feed