Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GardenGal
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:25:29 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

I've been quilting a long time..

over 15 years and some things have changed and some have not.

How has time changed your quilting habits? 

--
GardenGal
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:27:51 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

1.  the scraps I keep are BIGGER, no more keeping bits ( unless it's cwr )

2.  I am finally serious about finishing so many of my UFOs

3.  I don't feel the need to increase my stash... not even a f4. 

Are you sewing differently?  stashing differently ??  do tell!

--
Quiltbaby
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:09:49 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I have also been Quilting for over 15 to 20 years. Dang, time does fly when Your loving what you do!
1. My skills have sharpened, I fear no pattern or design. I take my own creative license with anything I do now. I also love trying new things . bigGrin

2. I only buy fabric when I want it for a specific project now if needed. Shopping my large stash first.

3. I have started purging fabrics in my stash that I know I will never use. I use to keep everything .
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
cv quilter
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:15:47 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

I have been quilting for 30 years.  I didn't realize it was that long!!!

Unfortunately, my stash has grown beyond what I ever thought it would. 

I never shopped at a quilt store or shopped online for fabric.  Now I do,  For years all I ever knew was Walmart fabric department.  

I try different patterns and techniques.  I've gained confidence in what I do, but still have a ways to go

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
EliQuilts
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:37:15 AM(UTC)
EliQuilts

I've been quilting for 28 years. Everything's changed, lol. I "borrowed" Mom's thread, needles, and scissors, begged Dad to buy a sampler quilt book, and cut up clothes I thought weren't wanted anymore.  My sister later informed me of my error.

Now I have my own fabric and tools

Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
EliQuilts
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:38:41 AM(UTC)
EliQuilts

Hey, I -was- only 13

Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
dogsbody
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 11:47:31 AM(UTC)
dogsbody

Haha, 45 years of quilting, and I haven't changed much, since I'm happy with what I do. Although I do sometimes use a rotary cutter and mat now. Still hand quilt the heck out of things though.

Fernie
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 12:13:50 PM(UTC)
Fernie

I’ve been quilting for 33 years with a lot of extended breaks due to life! Things I’m noticing now: my taste in quilts, fabric, even machines has changed. I used to love black and brights especially. Now I’m tending toward lighter brights, some more muted colors and I love 30s when I disliked the years ago. I’m enjoying some really scrappy, busy quilts which I disliked in the past. It’s fun to just go with the flow and let myself change!

I also developed a deep love of intricate paper-piecing. I’d rather do that than anything!
LaDawn
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:40:00 PM(UTC)
LaDawn

Let's see; I made my first tied quilt with two bedsheets when I was 14. I made a huge and heavy patchwork quilt with scraps of Ultra-suede from my mom's business when I was around 16, and then a huge and heavy patchwork quilt out of wool scraps when I got married at 24. After that, life got really hectic for awhile and I didn't get back to quilting until I was pregnant with my first child in 1992. Since then, quilting has been my way of relaxing and having something stay done!

I've seen so many changes in the business (rotary cutters and quality and variety of cotton fabric being the biggest, I guess!) Also, I think there is a change in the younger quilters just learning these days. I can't tell how many times I've see a beautiful, but simple, quilt online somewhere, and commenters are asking for a pattern. Even for simple nine-patch quilts. 

As for me, the biggest change is probably my taste in fabric and patterns. I have always loved scrappy and bright, and I still do, but over the years I've also found myself loving reproduction prints, and "romantic" fabrics. I also did not like all the "modern" quilts that came out about 5-10 years ago that were solids and grays. I still don't like the grays, but I do like the modern fabrics when they are paired with white. 

Some of my quilting friends have transitioned out of quilting and onto knitting or weaving. I tried weaving and loved it, but with my fibromyalgia, it was too difficult to dress the loom.

I can't see ever getting tired of quilting!

Dorian
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:19:04 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Hmm, I've been quilting for 25 yrs now. Started when I was pregnant with my first child. My Grandmom and Great Grandmom both quilted, but they lived too far for me to get any knowledge from them. So I learned everything from books. I look back at my first quilt and laugh now. So many mistakes! After I quilted and bound this first quilt, I decided it needed a ruffle around it, instead of normal binding. So I took the binding off and added a ruffle. LOL

I've learned to take my time and do things right the first time. If a seam is off, I will pick it out and redo it...usually ;) My tastes in colors and patterns haven't changed much. I am not into 'modern' quilts usually. But like the older, time tested patterns... and change them just enough to make it mine.

I've never been afraid of doing new things, like learning Y seams or putting in zippers. I taught myself how to make bags, and they are still one of my favorite things to make.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
GardenGal
#11 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 7:53:06 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

LaDawn, I had soo much fabric I couldnt even think about bring in another hobby.    Still can't.. I will be working from my stash for many years to come. 

--
Cosmocat12
#12 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 8:08:12 AM(UTC)
Cosmocat12

I have been quilting for about 20 years now - all on the one sewing machine. But some things have changed for me over time

I make more precise blocks now. I can draft most patterns from looking at a picture.  I finish so many more quilts now and have less UFO's. I mostly make childrens quilts now. I mostly give away what I make now. I have less quilting time now. I no longer buy expensive fabric, or online fabric - I have a great local quilt store that has very cheap prices. I have more stash than ever.

I still have the same creative passion though.

Tracey
Agnes
#13 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 10:25:18 AM(UTC)
Agnes

After over 20 years of my spare time revolving around quilting I started moving back to a much earlier hobby. I have fallen totally in love with counted cross stitch again and it has become my passion. My newest series of designs all feature quilts in nostaligic settings. 

As far as actual quilting I have become much more precise in my workmanship. When I first started I really feared no design but now in my golden years of quilting I am happy to be making simple, few triangle blocks to whittle down my much reduced stash even further.

I no longer feel the need to follow forums, etc. It's becoming largely a been there, done that kind of feeling. 

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
LaDawn
#14 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 11:11:50 AM(UTC)
LaDawn

Agnes, I, too, love cross-stitching. I started when I was just 11 years old. I cross-stitched even in my busy college days. I continued with it after my kids were born, but found it was too hard to keep count of stitches with toddlers around, so I pretty much quit until just a few years ago, then I picked up some really complicated pieces to do and loved them. Recently, however, I am thinking I'd better go back to more simple patterns since my eyes really struggle to see those 28 count threads! 

Agnes
#15 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 2:20:41 PM(UTC)
Agnes

LaDawn--My very first counted cross stitch was before I went to school. My Grandmother taught me using waste canvas for the grid basted to a piece of flour sack, pattern was following a flower she had previously stitched. From there I went to stamped cross stitch before I followed charts and used Aida cloth. When I picked it up again a few years ago I made concessions. I only stitch on 11 ct Aida and I enlarge all my charts with the printer. My most recent designs are edownloads and I immediately print them in the enlarged form. Hand wise I have also made concessions and I use scroll frames on a lap stand. I have no problem stitching for hours at a time. My problem is pushing myself to sew, even if the only sewing I want to do is to make the stitching into a quilted wall hanging.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
carolracicot
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:58:02 PM(UTC)
carolracicot

I have been quilting for 14 years.  

1.  The first few months all my fabric came from the Goodwill store, now it is quilt shop only

2.  Cutting at first with scissors, progressed to rotary cutter and mat

3.  Junky old sewing machine that barely worked to my Janome Professional

4.  Directions and patterns are actually useful now

5.  Quilting started out as something to do for a year while I was out of work sick and has progressed to my passion

6.  I still like making tops better than making quilts (more UFO's)

7.  My sewing room went from the corner of a room to two full rooms and a closet now

8.  I really miss quilt shops, since we moved to Virginia the closest one is almost 2 hours away.  Most shopping is online.

My doctor said I need more fiber, so I went to the fabric shop.
Leslie
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:14:48 PM(UTC)
Leslie

I started quilting in 2004, with a local quilt shop.  For the first couple of years she made a good living off of me, because she sold me everything,  lol

Now I'm more selective and my poor quilt shop owner,is not getting as rich off of me.

Leslie
Fabriholic
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:03:19 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

I have been quilting for about 25 years.  Started in my 20's and was the youngest in the guild.  When I was little my mom sewed all my clothes.  But I never had an interest untill I was older.  I actually started crocheting first,  selling items at a craft coop, and then was introduced to quilting from there.

I still have my little singer, with a dial button for the different zig zag stiches, and the feed dog cover for free motion quilting.  Moved on up to my Elna, with the automatic tension and electronic stitches, and had my first mid arm -and sold it.  Went from 1 machine to 5 - still counting the treadle even though I have not went through it yet to clean it up and use it. 

My first quilt was a sampler with templates.  Now, unless it is applique, I hardly ever use templates.  My points on those first few quilts,  my seam allowance,    .  No wonder nothing ever fit. 

Alco was our big fabric shopping place way back when.  We would make runs to other Alcos in the plains when they got certain fabrics in for our "stash"  That was before we ever had a Walmart.  Or a LQS. 

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed