Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

firesidequilter
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:42:17 PM(UTC)
firesidequilter

WOW...I just saw this...3 days (no bed) and 5 meals for almost $58/day!

One of my LQS's just offered $10/day for a 8am-9pm sew-in!!!

Most of our QATW retreats are Sunday afternoon-Saturday morning plus 6 nights (bed included)  and 3 meals a day (M-F) plus Sunday dinner & Saturday breakfast for around $250 to $300/week...thats about $40-50/day!

It is hard work for Retreat Coordinators to research and find places to stay within a reasonable budget, location and provide many comforts. 

I do have a few questions:

1.  Is a week preferred? Sunday-Saturday or Saturday-Friday?  Would you be interested in a "extended weekend...Friday-Monday"?

2.  What is your primary reason to attend retreats? a. Time to sew  b. Time/break from family & work  c. Time with friends & sewing not important  d. Food  e.  Time to get advice/help from other quilters

3.  Why do you not attend retreats? a. Cost  b. Can not take vacation time  c. Don't like people  d.  Never been, not sure what to expect  e.  Location - too far to travel...if this is answer what is reasonable distance for you to travel?

I am just looking for information to help those of us who "plan retreats".  If you would rather not post your responses here on forum...you can PM me...

Oompa Loompa doompadee doo...
Brenda
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:24:17 PM(UTC)
Brenda

Because I fly to the location a longer retreat like a week is preferred. I do enjoy a nice bed and shower and meals cooked but our group.

I enjoy the time away from the craziness of home and the laughter of all the great friends I have met.  I am always surprised at how nice our quilting group is and how they seem to welcome all those who have not attended a retreat before.

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

Nana bear
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:30:55 PM(UTC)
Nana bear

Sunday to Saturday is preferable since I drive to retreats. Reasons for attending: time to sew; a break from family; Time for help from other quilters; and socializing with fellow quilters. Cost of our retreats is very reasonable and I hope they will continue.

Deb whistle
Deb
Quilting and quilt retreats makes me happy!
Nancy_MN
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:57:02 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I like both short & long retreats, BUT if I'm going to travel a distance to get there, I want to stay 6 or 7 days.

I don't like to drive more than 500 miles a day - it's just too hard on my body. If I have a travel partner, I don't mind making it a 2-day drive with a motel stay.

I don't fly to retreats because there isn't an airport near home, and a flight is generally expensive, uncomfortable, stressful, and limiting of what I can take. I would make an exception for a winter get-away to a warm climate retreat - i would just bring hand projects.

After having to cancel from a couple of retreats (which I hate to do because i know that's hard on the host), I've learned that I can't attend long summer retreats due to gardening demands. I have to stick to short local retreats during July and August when I'm anxious to escape the heat and biting deer flies.

I don't mind spending a bit more money to attend a retreat at a hotel with comfortable sleeping arrangements. I would give up the expense of games and exchange gifts for a good bed and private bathroom!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE retreats equally for the uninterrupted sewing time that I just can't seem to get at home as well as the chance to hang out with my wonderful quilty friends!
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
quiltertess
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:13:18 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

I prefer a longer retreat within a reasonable driving distance - mainly because I currently have to take vacation to attend. I flew once to a retreat but its just too hard to winnow down what I can bring - LOL.  

I just enjoy spending time with quilting friends. Time to sew is an added bonus.

I think the cost of our retreats have been reasonable.  I've been searching for a place anywhere close to me, but most are either Friday to Sunday, or Sunday to Friday and usually start at $50 a night - which does not include meals.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
Quiltingbeachy
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:23:17 PM(UTC)
Quiltingbeachy

Originally Posted by: firesidequilter Go to Quoted Post

1.  Is a week preferred? Sunday-Saturday or Saturday-Friday?  Would you be interested in a "extended weekend...Friday-Monday"?  any and all?

2.  What is your primary reason to attend retreats? a. Time to sew  b. Time/break from family & work  c. Time with friends & sewing not important  d. Food  e.  Time to get advice/help from other quilters All of the above

3.  Why do you not attend retreats? a. Cost  b. Can not take vacation time  c. Don't like people  d.  Never been, not sure what to expect  e.  Location - too far to travel...if this is answer what is reasonable distance for you to travel? Often fills fast and I missed.....location may become as factor as I get 'older.' Long long drives having to 'room' overnight adds expense and those on 'fixed' incomes may not be able to afford the added expense or, not be able to do any stash enhancement 

I am just looking for information to help those of us who "plan retreats".  If you would rather not post your responses here on forum...you can PM me... I know what's involved inplanning retreats and I personally think ALL OF YOU are doing a fantastic job!! Thank you!

mimi2jefftye
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:50:13 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

Originally Posted by: firesidequilter Go to Quoted Post

WOW...I just saw this...3 days (no bed) and 5 meals for almost $58/day!

One of my LQS's just offered $10/day for a 8am-9pm sew-in!!!

Most of our QATW retreats are Sunday afternoon-Saturday morning plus 6 nights (bed included)  and 3 meals a day (M-F) plus Sunday dinner & Saturday breakfast for around $250 to $300/week...thats about $40-50/day!

It is hard work for Retreat Coordinators to research and find places to stay within a reasonable budget, location and provide many comforts. 

1.  Is a week preferred? Sunday-Saturday or Saturday-Friday?  Would you be interested in a "extended weekend...Friday-Monday"?  I love the full week retreats but also enjoy the extended weekend retreats also!

2.  What is your primary reason to attend retreats? a. Time to sew  b. Time/break from family & work  c. Time with friends & sewing not important  d. Food  e.  Time to get advice/help from other quilters  f.  all the before mentioned reasons

3.  Why do you not attend retreats? a. Cost  b. Can not take vacation time  c. Don't like people  d.  Never been, not sure what to expect  e.  Location - too far to travel...if this is answer what is reasonable distance for you to travel?  The only reason I do not attend all the retreats I want is because of work interference.

I am just looking for information to help those of us who "plan retreats".  If you would rather not post your responses here on forum...you can PM me...

I so enjoy retreat and have hosted and planned many retreats, they are a great deal of work!  I so appreciate all the work that our retreat hosts and co-hosts put into making them so enjoyable for the attendees!!!  Thank you!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
Chelle
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:55:02 PM(UTC)
Chelle

1.  Is a week preferred? Sunday-Saturday or Saturday-Friday?  Would you be interested in a "extended weekend...Friday-Monday"? I can't complain about the amount of time retreats last, glad to get to attend, I have convinced my family that they will mostly survive while I am gone for a week.

2.  What is your primary reason to attend retreats? a. Time to sew  b. Time/break from family & work  c. Time with friends & sewing not important  d. Food  e.  Time to get advice/help from other quilters. Getting to see and laugh with my friends - its a bonus to make progress on projects 

3.  Why do you not attend retreats? a. Cost  b. Can not take vacation time  c. Don't like people  d.  Never been, not sure what to expect  e.  Location - too far to travel...if this is answer what is reasonable distance for you to travel?  I do attend but A. B. & E  DH and I have an agreement that we could open the school if I can go to two retreats a year if financially possible. 

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
dogsbody
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:08:02 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

There is no way, short of winning the lottery I could ever go to a retreat

nanaB
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:36:04 PM(UTC)
nanaB

i have only been to 2 retreats and they were held by  a member of the local guild.. held at a church camp with 2 ppl to a room and you could get a meal ticket or go into town. 

we dont smoke so not sure how other retreats are but that is a consideration for us.. 

looking forward to a retreat and meeting new people !  the dates dont matter to us as we are retired - we bought a really old motor home that we would be traveling in cuz we have two mutts - lol 

Sometimes people are complicated, we can't help it...
cv quilter
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:09:14 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: nanaB Go to Quoted Post

i have only been to 2 retreats and they were held by  a member of the local guild.. held at a church camp with 2 ppl to a room and you could get a meal ticket or go into town. 

we dont smoke so not sure how other retreats are but that is a consideration for us.. 

looking forward to a retreat and meeting new people !  the dates dont matter to us as we are retired - we bought a really old motor home that we would be traveling in cuz we have two mutts - lol 

I hope you are able to attend one of QATW retreats.  I have only been to one,  actually in Smokies lTN Fall of 2017.  What a beautiful place!!! I was actually so happy to secure a spot for that Retreat.  No one smoked, I believe all of the people to be kind, helpful, friendly.  I will always be thankful for the opportunity.  Wish I had another op to attend another, ( I had health issues through the whole time and missed home and my hubby) but I do hope you are able to attend one.  I can't say a bad thing about my experience except that I actually was sick through most of it.

Love that you are an RVer.  We are, too!  Have a 5th wheel now, but previously had a MH which we loved.  

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Rss Feed  Atom Feed