Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 10:59:51 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

I posed a question about what you'd want to get done if your best friend was coming to visit for a week and many said they'd like help with decluttering and getting organized.   

If you are in need, here is a challenge for YOU!

For 7 days during the remainder of August, I challenge you to go into your sewing room and make progress on a drawer or shelf, basket or bin or even sew (if you haven't been sewing much lately) AND go post about it in your blog or in my blog.   We'd like to know what you are up to AND this can be a gift to yourself.   Time to be your own best friend.   The 7 days can be in a row or just one here and there ( maybe weekends) but make sure to post at least 7 times with what you got done.   Pictures are welcome but not necessary.  You'll see changes and that's what matters most.   No time requirement on the cleaning or sewing, just do something so you see a change happening.   It might just be pinning a row on or refolding 50 f4s, YOU decide what you need help with. 

I'm excited to do this and hope you join me.   I've got a large bag that I'm tossing things in for a freebie table.   Maybe you can do the same if you are in a local group or visit retreats..  

Looking forward to reading your progress. 

--
firesidequilter
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:18:51 AM(UTC)
firesidequilter

I like this idea...

Will be "working on this" later today when I get home from the "office"...

Way to go GG...progress on quilt & "clearing things out"!

Oompa Loompa doompadee doo...
Brenda
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:22:17 AM(UTC)
Brenda

I love this idea too.  Thank you GG.

Perfect timing since I have a stay vacation kid and grandkids free for 10 days.

Starting this today

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

Leslie
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:38:42 AM(UTC)
Leslie

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Leslie
GloBug
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 12:39:40 PM(UTC)
GloBug

I've been decluttering my sewing room since this past Spring.  I've donated a lot of my fabrics to different organizations and I've sold some of my fabrics as well.  My sewing room is looking so much better!  BTW, if you know of an organization that could use free fabric, please send me their contact information and I'll get in touch with them...thanks!

I can't continue working on my sewing room as my time has been spent being on-call for my daughter after she gave birth to our first grandchild and then 2 days later had emergency abdominal surgery for a congential anomaly she's had all her life but presented itself after giving birth.  I wrote about this in my QATW Blog and I know some of you have seen it and know what I'm talking about.  I enjoy helping out my daughter as she recovers over the next 4-5 weeks and being able to hold my new grandson and give him lots of snuggly kisses!!

Anyway, I wish you all well with this fun challenge GG has put in place.  Isn't it nice having her back on the board once again!!  I sure have missed you GG!!

Hugs, Glo

JackieH
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 2:46:07 PM(UTC)
JackieH

I've been pulling fabrics that I've had for years but never used and Natalie (11yrs old) and I have been making pillowcases to donate. We have 11 made so far and 9 more cut out. She's thinking we should make 100  

This is my plan for August and so it works along with this challenge because I hope my shelves will not be so stuffed full by the end of the month. And a little time spent reorganizing would be good too.

Jacy
mimi2jefftye
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 2:58:37 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

I just spent the day reorganizing some totes that are stored in the office storage area.  I rid myself of some "tiny scraps" that I thought I needed.  Gave away some craft supplies that I know I will never use again.  Ended up eliminating 4 totes.  Moved all the totes to a more organized area.  Now the sewing room is ready to be set up for the ladies to use.  Now to work on the "stash" next!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
cv quilter
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:26:51 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Great idea, GG.  I'm in..I have been working, too, to get some UFOs out of here...which will greatly help.  Finished some quilts and gifted them.  Took Jann's MQ to LAQ and when it comes back it will be on a bed in my home.  That freed up some space in my cabinet.  I REALLY want to use up much of what I have and know that organizing and straightening will help me to see AGAIN just what I have.  I did go through lots of patterns and have organized them.  Cutting up some remnants to use as leaders and enders for future quilts.  Just seeing them in useable pieces in plastic storage boxes has helped much.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Chelle
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:59:58 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I went into my closet today and searched for fat quarters for October retreat :D. When doing so I found a baggie I had taken off the freebie table at Smokies retreat... pulled it out and now its divided u and sitting on my ironing board waiting for me to play with it.  So I have a mini project ready to sew, and I have part of what I need for October retreat set aside and ready to pack :). It's not much, but it's what time allowed for :)

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
Annette
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:18:59 PM(UTC)
Annette

Boy, do I need this.    My 'sewing room' to-be is a junk room right now.   My husband has put new sheetrock up along one wall and a door to the furance area, but its my turn next with the cleaning/painting (water sealing type - cement walls) the walls in the closet and the plastering of the walls he put up.   I really need a kick-in-the-pants to get started (once my current company leaves), and this might be it.

Annette-IA
Brenda
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:50:51 PM(UTC)
Brenda

Originally Posted by: JackieH Go to Quoted Post

I've been pulling fabrics that I've had for years but never used and Natalie (11yrs old) and I have been making pillowcases to donate. We have 11 made so far and 9 more cut out. She's thinking we should make 100  

This is my plan for August and so it works along with this challenge because I hope my shelves will not be so stuffed full by the end of the month. And a little time spent reorganizing would be good too.

What a great idea for fabric and donating pillow cases too 

A few years ago I made 50 pillow cases and donated them, now I have enough extra kids fabric I might do this again.

Brenda

Chelle
#12 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 3:06:58 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Today I got 3 sections of paper pieced block done.

dogsbody
#13 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 6:18:29 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

Could have sworn I posted here.....

cindynvb
#14 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 6:21:13 PM(UTC)
cindynvb

Great Idea!  Decluttering is my #2 goal for this year. I highly recommend "Decluttering at the Speed of Life" by Dana K White. I listen to it on my ride home from work, and most nights I get right to getting rid of something!

Today I worked on a VERY old UFO, it needs to be finished, it's taking up too much space.  My 6 yr old grandaughter already claimed it for her little sister. 

GardenGal
#15 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 8:23:37 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

--
JudyT
#16 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 9:31:15 PM(UTC)
JudyT

Today, August 10th, I fniished pinning a quilt top I completed ages ago, a modification of Loyal Union Soldier. Anxious to get the UFO off my to do list.

Judy in the Pacific Northwest
Brenda
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 12:18:02 AM(UTC)
Brenda

Day 2 Decluttered sewing room 1 hour, still many hours left.

Sewed with a friend and taught her to use a serger, she loved it.

Brenda

GardenGal
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 9:23:09 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Originally Posted by: JudyT Go to Quoted Post

Today, August 10th, I fniished pinning a quilt top I completed ages ago, a modification of Loyal Union Soldier. Anxious to get the UFO off my to do list.

Is this your DAY ONE ?   I hope you get much done with your 7 days.  :D

--
cv quilter
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 9:40:45 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Day 2 of my decluttering challenge was yesterday.  Though I thought I had the top for my August UFO challenge finished, I've decided to add one more border to it. 

Day 3: Aug UFO is on my wall and I've cut the borders and today will put them on.  I also am going through some patterns I have printed and am sorting them into piles: keep or toss.  I've got to stop printing patterns that I'll never make.!

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Chelle
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 12:19:55 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Oh Sharon I understand the pattern collecting- I really need to sort through the files on my computer and backup drive guess I can add that to the list lol. Maybe it’s something I can do while watching tv or something. Then I could organize folders by subject.
Brenda
#21 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 2:15:38 PM(UTC)
Brenda

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

Day 2 of my decluttering challenge was yesterday.  Though I thought I had the top for my August UFO challenge finished, I've decided to add one more border to it. 

Day 3: Aug UFO is on my wall and I've cut the borders and today will put them on.  I also am going through some patterns I have printed and am sorting them into piles: keep or toss.  I've got to stop printing patterns that I'll never make.!

Sharon Have you thought about putting them on a stick and saving them so you will have them ready to load and print when ready??

Brenda

Rss Feed  Atom Feed