Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fabriholic
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:22:19 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

The time for the Bonnie Hunter 2018 Leader-Ender Challenge has arrived!

Based off of a quilt top she found in Asheville,  It is a type of a Jewel Box pattern, but placed to make stars!

She gives 2 different sizes, 12.5 and 16.5 (unfinished) in her pattern to make this block.  

The link to the PDF patter is here

This is a Leader-Ender Challange - that means, unless you want to make the quilt fast, that you use the pieces as your leader-enders in between your other sewing.  Thereby, making 2 quilts at once! 

This is a great project to use up your scraps.  Or, to step out of your comfort zone and mix up some of those lights and darks you have stocked up. 

Visit the link, and Come on over and share your progress!

IMG_20180702_080038_568000JBS2

Sheila
Today is a new day!
cv quilter
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 6:53:20 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Sheila, I just got back from vaca and saw this on Bonnie's blog.  Saved it and will look at it tomorrow.  Haven't followed her L&Es before.  Will watch.  gonna take a while before I'm "back in the saddle".  

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Bonita
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:41:39 PM(UTC)
Bonita

Sharon, welcome back, missed you. Like Sharon I've never followed ,or ever heard of it for that matter of Bonnie's L-E. Will have to go check it out. I've already started sewing a bunch of 2 1/2 sqs together. Thanks, Sheila for bringing this to our attention.

Bonita
Dorian
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 7:08:26 AM(UTC)
Dorian

Hmm, I just might have to join you all. I've seen this before, but have only gotten as far as cutting up scraps and put into piles. Maybe now would be a good time to put them together.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
Agnes
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 9:41:44 AM(UTC)
Agnes

I make sure I always have a second batch of blocks, scraps, etc cut and at the ready. They may be for a planned design or just blocks to eventually work up into a top of some nature. 

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
Fabriholic
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 10:06:12 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

Welcome Back Sharon!   Agnes, you already have a great plan going.  This nice thing about this, is it is not hurry up and go type of thing.  Dorian, cut the size block you decide to make, and put them in a small box.  Keep it beside your sewing machine.  We have all year to work as we go. 

Just like Bonita has all those 2 1/2 squares already put together.  Just keep a pile of light/dark 2 1/2 squares by your machine and at the end of what you are sewing on, instead of running a scrap through, or just cutting off the thread, run a pair of squares through.   Looking forward to see how our piles of 4 patches and 1/2 square triangles grow. 

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Bonita
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:23:45 AM(UTC)
Bonita

I spent some time sorting through my 2 1/2 squares yesterday and apparently I don't use a lot of light colors. Going to have to check out some of the charm packs and steal some lights from those.

Bonita
Threadbare
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 4:15:43 PM(UTC)
Threadbare

I am so into this.  I am trying mightly to get rid of my scraps and I  have a ton of 5" squares so I  will be making the larger block.  Yay.

FLORENCE
Dorian
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 4:17:12 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Yah, I'll sort thru my squares and triangles and get them into light and dark piles. Right now I am quilting on my quilt, so I'll just get these ready for when I am piecing again.

cv quilter
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 6:55:37 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I've printed all of Bonnie's instructions...Now I have to read them and I have to get all of my scraps cut and organized and THEN I have to remember to use all these little scraps as I am piecing the quilts I want to make.  I have been running out of room for all my scraps.  Hoping I can get organized.  Just thinking of all the various fabrics I have pieces of, I can only imagine what a pretty scrap quilt (Leaders and Enders) I could have.  Better than sending and giving all of my scraps away.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Threadbare
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 9:31:53 AM(UTC)
Threadbare

Here are the 5" and 2 1/2" squares I have to start with.  My problem is deciding whether to make all my lights the same or try to get scrappy with those too. Usually when I do scrappy quilts i make all the lights the same so not sure.  Depends on how many I already have cut I guess.

FLORENCE
Fabriholic
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 11:46:02 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

Florence, you have a great stack to start with!

Sharon - You can do it!!  Dorian and Bonita - Way to get them sorted!  I am going to get out my 2 inch squares tomorrow and see what I need to add.  Going to start on 4 patches.

Sheila
Today is a new day!
elliebell650
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 10:02:08 PM(UTC)
elliebell650

This is my kinda block but we have just moved into our new apartment and I am swamped with unpacking but I will keep my eyes on this for progress and maybe join in at some point.
Marg
Fabriholic
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:39:25 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

Awesome - It goes on for a year at least, or how ever long you need!  

She puts one out every July.  

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Dorian
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:43:10 AM(UTC)
Dorian

http://www.quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=11322&pid=86485

My box of scraps. I am going with the smaller size. I hemmed and hawed as I have both 2" and 2.5" squares, but it seems I had more 4" squares that were a mix of light and dark, then 5".

Since I started going thru my scraps again, it has made me want to work with them more! As soon as I'm done quilting my top, I am going to dive into these scraps, plus other ones. This one will be my leader/ender, but I'll be working on another scrappy quilt top, YAH!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed