Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
jcorsbie
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 8:31:07 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

I often wondered if you could ever have too many quilts.  Yesterday, I found out the answer.  I was facetiming with my granddaughter, Willow, 7+ (her words).  She had received a special award at school for being the kindest student in the elementary school.  I was telling her how very proud of her grampy and mimi were and we would like to give her a special gift for always being nice to everyone and especially helping those who were having a hard time.  She has such a sweet heart.  And she said thank you mimi.  I like everyone but I really already have too many quilts!!!!  What sweet heart.  But I guess I won't be sending a quilt for awhile.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
Teatime
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 8:38:40 AM(UTC)
Teatime

Oh - that does hurt the heart that a loved one does not want another quilt. My favorite thing is to make a quilt for someone I love. 

My son told me (when I gave him 2 mug rugs) "Mom- I only have a small appartment". I already gave him 2 throws and 2 other mug rugs. 

Marian
Chelle
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 9:39:23 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Aw congratulations to Willow for her special award.  

I was taking to my mom one day a few years ago and I said I suppose at some point people can receive too many quilts huh, and she said yes.  LOL its ok though.  It hurt a bit to hear it, but I would rather know.  Plus they have a LOT of stuff in thier house so I understand.  

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
stitchintime
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 11:52:12 AM(UTC)
stitchintime

I suppose it might be possible to have too many quilts.  But if I make it smaller and put a sleeve on the back, I can call it a wallhanging and not a quilt   And I like being able to swap them out at different times of the year.  Congrats to sweet Willow on her award.

Barb
Fabriholic
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 3:36:05 PM(UTC)
Fabriholic

My daughter always tells me that.  But she does have the most quilts.  I did get her to agree that the kids need a couple they can drag all over outside.  Have a plan for those. 

I do need to catch up my son and his wife.  Just got their wedding quilt done.  Their 2 kids each have one.  Kevin has a couple of others. They need more. 

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Quiltbaby
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 10:27:51 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I asked my sister what she thought of this question today. I have made her probably 9 quilts. The most any one person has. Her answer was , I Quote, “OH HELL NO!!!”
Unquote. bigGrin like it’s nice to be appreciated.
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Cosmocat12
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 2:59:14 AM(UTC)
Cosmocat12

Candice - I love your sisters reply. 

Jann - how lovely and honest kids are. Willow is a total sweetie, and super kind as well. How awesome that her kindness has been acknowledged.

Many years back I decided that I had too many quilts, and not enough family members. That was when I started making donation quilts. I find that a tremendously satifying way of constantly quilting and (hopefully) giving comfort to a stranger. Look out when I get grandkids! I will probably make too many for them, and be in your siutation. But as my eldest is only 9, I still have a while.

Tracey
cv quilter
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 8:51:05 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Too many quilts???...I don't know.   I have made many, given many away, and really haven't kept many for myself.  I've never had anyone say they don't want the one I am giving them, but maybe I need to ask them if they have too many. lol  I think my daughter has the most I've made and will ask her what she thinks.

Willow, Congrats for your award.  Jann, that's precious her telling you she has too many quilts. :)

Tracey, I love the idea of making and donating, too.  I have every intention of doing more of that.

Candis, love your sister's answer.  It is gratifying to know your talents are appreciated!

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Bonita
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 11:03:09 AM(UTC)
Bonita

I have made and given most of the quilts to my DD and DGD's. I asked her today if she had enough and how many would be enough and she said keep them coming. She will pass them on to her girls and they in turn can pass them on to theirs. It will be a way of remembering how much I loved them long after I'm gone. Darned if she didn't make me cry.

Bonita
frankied
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 11:20:01 AM(UTC)
frankied

Originally Posted by: Bonita Go to Quoted Post

I have made and given most of the quilts to my DD and DGD's. I asked her today if she had enough and how many would be enough and she said keep them coming. She will pass them on to her girls and they in turn can pass them on to theirs. It will be a way of remembering how much I loved them long after I'm gone. Darned if she didn't make me cry.

Bonita, your DD is definately a keeper that is the right answer. I have always thought quilts are to be used, loved and kept (if possible although if they are worn out thats not always possible).

lots of love

Francesxx

Nancy_MN
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 12:12:09 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I don't have grandchildren, but I have 3 grand-nephews (5 & under) who I enjoy making fun children's quilts for, thinking, like Sheila, that they might like to drag them around while playing, watching TV, or camping indoors (you know, a quilt over a card table makes a great tent), but when I recently sent the churn dash I Spy quilt made from swap blocks, I didn't hear boo from the family, so probably they have reached their saturation point.

On another note, I visited a quilty friend's home a while back, and she has table toppers and runners on every horizontal surface in her house, and I thought "Wow, what a good way to get out of dusting furniture," so my new plan is to make a bunch of smaller projects for me!
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Quiltbaby
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 1:36:56 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Bonita, that touched my heart! Almost me cry to. I’m hoping that’s what my children will cherish too!!
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
jcorsbie
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 5:51:06 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: Bonita Go to Quoted Post

so touching, Bonita.  I hope Willow will feel that way when I am gone.  Of course, in the next breath, she said I love you and how about another American Girl doll.  

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
Teatime
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:00:18 PM(UTC)
Teatime

Does the American Girl doll need a quilt?

Marian
cv quilter
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:25:21 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Marian, I KNOW that American Girl Dolls need more quilts....genius!!!

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
EliQuilts
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 8:10:50 PM(UTC)
EliQuilts

What is this activity called "dusting?"

Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
Nancy_MN
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 9:51:46 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

LOL Eliquilts!
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Agnes
#18 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2018 8:48:52 AM(UTC)
Agnes

I learned the trick of using runners as furniture toppers to cut down on dusting time in my childhood. In those days it was embrodered runners on flour or sugar sacks mostly but if pressed for time a quick swipe on the little bit of wood showing speeded up the weekly cleaning greatly yet gave a very presentable front. Did you know that the apron that many women wore at all times in those days came in very handy on your way to answer the door if you had unexpected company? That was one of my Mother's tricks. Over the years my toppers and runners have all become quilted items. They are also a great avenue to test a design making a few blocks but not have to commit to full size quilts.

I recently brought my quilt rack to the living room and though by choice I now have few large size quilts it has become a great way to sisplay quite a variety of the runners. 

Definitely you can have too many quilts unless you enjoy hoarding them in a closet. 

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
jw3280
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 4:48:22 AM(UTC)
jw3280

I don't think 'I' can have too many quilts, as I keep most of mine until someones says they would like a quilt. Had a bad experience giving one to someone, so now I don't just hand them out.... I wait till they say they want one..... When they do I tell them go pick one out.....There's only one they can't have...........

Oh, sometimes I do get request for quilts, mostly from my grandson..He loves them, he had taken several  home with him.... now wants a fire theme one as he became a firefighter a couple of months ago....

Jann, Congrautlations to Willow!!

jean/tn
nothing better than sleeping under a quilt...
Fernie
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:36:02 AM(UTC)
Fernie

I can’t make quilts fast enough to please my (large) family. Everyone has at least a couple. Will and Jill love them the most, and Jill’s girls are always using a “Nonnie blanket” one way or another. I have a bunch of tops I need to finish and hand out! Zach just asked for a new one yesterday!

Willow is amazing, Jann! What a wonderful thing to be rewarded for.
JudyT
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:05:08 AM(UTC)
JudyT

At a family gathering last year, my grandson-in-law whispered to my granddaughter, "I think I'm the only family member who hasn't received a quilt". When I was told this I was horrified that I'd forgotten that lovely boy. Guess what he got for Christmas and wrapped himself in the whole evening!

Otherwise, I'm selective who I give quilts to. Immediate family all have at least one. Daughter has a pile and always wants more. Eldest son and wife have one each but they are never displayed or used. They won't get more. I keep making quilts and more quilts. Every now and then someone is in need; a neighbors husband died, another is fighting cancer, one in early stages of Alzheimers. They have all been so appreciative of the gift of a quilt. 

I've had to slow down, waay down, in recent months but have a queen size in progress for middle son's wedding quilt and hope to complete by Christmas. He and his wife both already have lap size quilts I made but they wanted a bed quilt. I'm happy to comply.

Judy in the Pacific Northwest
Rss Feed  Atom Feed