Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jcorsbie
#1 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 4:33:52 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Many of you already are aware of this information but Bernina posted this information in their monthly newsletter and I thought it was a great reminder.  Especially with the newer machines which tend to be a little more particular.

"Most spools of thread are wound one of two ways, cross-wound or stacked. The thread will come off of each type of spool differently. These tips can help if your sewing machine has both vertical and horizontal spool pins.

Cross-wound spools: The thread has been wound on the spool in a criss-cross way, resulting in a pattern of “X’s” on the spool. Cross-wound spools work best on a horizontal spool pin to allow the thread to evenly feed off of the spool. The thread should come off the top of the spool. Use the spool along with a foam pad and spool cap to help keep the thread from wrapping around the pin.

Stacked Spool: The thread has been wound on the spool to stack one row above the other, resulting in a pattern of straight lines on the spool. Stacked spools work best on a vertical spool pin to allow the thread to evenly feed off of the spool. Use the spool along with a foam pad to help keep the thread from wrapping around the pin.

(Bernina Newsletter). 

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
cv quilter
#2 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 5:08:48 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Jann, thank you.  I am always challenged by this issue.  I am printing your post and will keep it where I can see it.  I get so confused and want to "do it right" every time, but I know I get too haphazard in my thinking and make mistakes.  I just had a BIG issue with my little BL Elizabeth and wonder if it was because of the thread/thread wind I was using.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Quiltbaby
#3 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 8:08:25 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I always read the great info on Superior Threads web site. They have several tutorials on threads, and tensions. Take a look. It can answer any questions you may have.
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
monalee
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:30:18 AM(UTC)
monalee

Thanks for the info! So many embroidery machine users-small single needle—have thread issues and it’s usually because of the way it feeds into the machine
Cosmocat12
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:23:23 PM(UTC)
Cosmocat12

That's really interesting, I never knew.

Tracey
Rss Feed  Atom Feed