Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

traildancer
#1 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 3:29:45 PM(UTC)
traildancer

I have been asked to construct a quilt top for the designer of said quilt.  She has been asked by a fabric designer to make the quilt using the fabric designer's fabrics.  The quilt designer wants me to sew the top and she asked how I wanted to be paid.  I don't have any idea!  

One suggestion was to be paid in fabric from the fabric designer (batiks).  Or to be paid in money.  I don't know what to charge.  This is a very involved design and I have made it four times so I am familiar with the pattern. 

Do any of you have any experience with this sort of thing? 

Please let me know your thoughts and/or advice.  Thank you.

The trail is the thing....Louis L'Amour
stitchintime
#2 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 5:42:07 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

IMHO, I think either way you will need to decide what your time is worth.  Since you have made the pattern before, you should have an idea how long it will take.  Multiply that by what you think your hourly time is worth.  Money or fabric equally that just depends on which you need or prefer :)

Barb
Regina
#3 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 9:20:26 PM(UTC)
Regina

I think you should ask to be paid in money, if you are doing this as a professional service. Also, it doesn't matter how familar with the pattern you are. Your time and skill in constructing the quilt are what you are being compensated for. I use to design and draft landscape plans for a living. I charged based on the requirements of the job, not my familarity with drafting. (I actually made more per hour because I was"familar" with that kind of work. That's called experience.) If you are able to complete the quilt in less time then say I might be able to (because you are more familar with the pattern) then good for you. You still should figure the compensation for your time based on the fact that it is a complicated pattern and your materials (thread, use of your machine, ironing, etc., they all cost you something). Don't sell yourself short and accept less than a skilled hourly rate.
Here's a article that might help:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/01/placing-a-value-on-your-quilting/

Gina

If however, all you really want is the fabric, that is up to you. lol

JackieH
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:21:43 AM(UTC)
JackieH

When I sewed for Craftsy they supplied the fabric and I was paid $14/hr plus reimbursed for thread and batting. That was about 4? Years ago. I have also done some work for Quiltmaker where I was paid/thanked with fabric, that's great if you get to pick the fabric, I never got to pick so I didn't always get something I loved, I still have a bunch of it sitting around waiting to get used someday.
Jacy
traildancer
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:52:20 AM(UTC)
traildancer

Wow, ladies, thanks for the responses.  That is what I was hoping for--various experiences.  Thank you.

I talked to the quilt designer last night and the project is on hold until the fabric people decide which fabrics they want to use.  So I'm off the hook for the time being.

I will keep your answers.  They are helpful.

The trail is the thing....Louis L'Amour
Rss Feed  Atom Feed