Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<11121314>
Krazymama
#253 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:09:57 AM(UTC)
Krazymama

Everyone's blocks are so very pretty! My book came a few days after I ordered it, but I won't have time to get to it for quite a while. I'm working on a couple big projects and I really need to finish my flower candle mat which should have been finished several summer's ago.
Once I find time to go thru all my containers of wool and find my brights, that should inspire me!
I also need to buy my background fabric!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain.
Quiltbaby
#254 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 11:02:06 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Hi Woolies. Anybody working on this at this time. I slacked off to finish projects. Prepping number 4 block now. Fishies here I come.
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Bonita
#255 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 11:51:50 AM(UTC)
Bonita

I'm working on mine kinda hit and miss. Other things took over. Still have the lttle berries and the embroidery to do. have #2 traced but that's it.

Bonita
JackieH
#256 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 12:45:26 PM(UTC)
JackieH

block 2 is almost done but other projects have stalled it. I need to get it out and get it finished up.

Jacy
Mimi
#257 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 3:44:59 PM(UTC)
Mimi

I'm half done #4 but have been busy with other projects so not a lot of progress being made. All those details on the fishies' tails are time consuming. Hope to get back to it soon.  

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
Quiltbaby
#258 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 4:15:59 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

All that detail on fishies is why I haven’t started yet😳 but at least all of us are thinking about it!bigGrin

Candis
loveslife
#259 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 10:47:06 PM(UTC)
loveslife

I'm hoping to get my first block finished with the prepping soon, but also have stalled progress with other projects.  Still anxious to get it going.  At least I'm finding sewing time these days!  

Karen

I define happiness as a continuous, creative activity.
cv quilter
#260 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:05:08 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: loveslife Go to Quoted Post

I'm hoping to get my first block finished with the prepping soon, but also have stalled progress with other projects.  Still anxious to get it going.  At least I'm finding sewing time these days!  

Karen

Ditto!  Fred was in my sewing room the other day and said "you have a lot of wool".  He knows how much I've ordered and received and knows I plan on making these blocks.  I'm stalled with everything since I am making this memory quilt.  I'll get to this.  I've promised myself I will.  Karen, so glad you are able to sew again.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
loveslife
#261 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 10:06:10 PM(UTC)
loveslife

Well I did take this to one of my ufo groups and worked on it for a bit today. I have come to two conclusions.

1) I am going to switch to heat n bond lite

and

2) I shouldn't have reversed traced.

I think these are the reasons for my frustration and resulting abandonment of the project and hopefully I can be stitching soon...

Karen
cv quilter
#262 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:11:44 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Karen, May I ask why you concluded to NOT reverse trace?  I have to say that I reverse traced my first "want to do" block, and had  heck of a time.  I don't have a light box, so I put the pattern on my Sew Steady extension and placed a light underneath, but it was difficult for me to see it clearly.

Sharon
Quiltbaby
#263 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:42:14 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I don’t reverse trace ever. Not with wool I trace on freezer paper as it’s pictured. I then cut out and iron onto my wool. Cut out and staple or glue to my wool, or background of choice. The freezer paper is on top. With wool usually there is no front or back. So I guess I’m not understanding why you are reversing.

Candis
loveslife
#264 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:53:38 PM(UTC)
loveslife

I don't usually reverse either, but I saw on this thread that someone said they reversed, and then I changed to that, and was using the Steam A seam as others also said.

Then apparently I traced on the proper side for the fusible, but that made my pieces backwards. It was okay for some of the pieces, but others are just wrong and I didn't like them. I guess I should have traced on the other, or wrong side, of the fusible. So I redid some of them. In the past, I used freezer paper as well, but being my first wool project, I was following the advice here pretty faithfully. I don't even like the Steam a seam product, I'm having trouble getting it to stick well to the background.

At this point, I would like to get one block prepped and ready for hand stitching. At this ufo group, there are some gals who have done a lot of wool work, so I sought their help. The one lady who has done so many wool projects said she used heatnbond, didn't reverse, and prepped all 12 blocks at once for this summertime sampler. She had also purchased a kit for it, but it would be really nice to be able to have all that hand work at the ready!

I am still working to salvage my first block, but going forward, I will use either freezer paper or heatnbond....

wink Karen
Quiltbaby
#265 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:26:32 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I see. I understand now. I found fusible was just another step, I didn’t like it. I now staple my pieces. If I need extra stability I us my glue stick on some parts after stapling. Staples don’t leave marks in wool. It’s fast and easy. Perfect for me.

Candis
cv quilter
#266 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:27:15 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Karen, I think I saw the same post/info you did and I reverse traced the patterns for the first block I was prepping.  I actually printed them on Steam a Seam 2 printer sheets.  I have gotten stalled on my wool, and am almost caught up on the projects I have been working on.  I have LOTS of freezer paper and think I'll start prepping the block again using the freezer paper.

Sharon
loveslife
#267 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:36:20 PM(UTC)
loveslife

I'm glad that made sense. Candis, is it hard to remove the staples? I'm tempted to go the freezer paper route.

I need to confess that I just ordered the complete, hand dyed wool kit for the summertime sampler the ladies told me about yesterday. They said it was a generous amount of wool. It was $55 for the kit plus shipping. I knew I wasn't going to have enough, especially with extra patterns I have downloaded, including the Garden mystery and Laura B' s. Shhh, don't tell DH yet.....

Anyway, the kit is from Wild Hare Fiber online. Now I really need to get this going, but they had ordered the kit years ago, and I wanted to get one while they were still available.

nervous Karen
Quiltbaby
#268 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:05:42 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I use the freezer paper just to cut out my wool pieces. It makes it easier. Then I staple my pieces to my background. The staples are easy to remove. Just flip over and bend the tines up. Easy peasy. Glad you got a collection of wool. Makes creating these blocks really fun.

Candis
loveslife
#269 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 8:48:45 PM(UTC)
loveslife

Me too! Thanks Candis bigGrin
Chelle
#270 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 12:37:56 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I may try using staples on my next projects.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
loveslife
#271 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 12:00:58 AM(UTC)
loveslife

Let us know Chelle!
Quiltbaby
#272 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 12:36:56 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

So much quicker Chelle.

Candis
loveslife
#273 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 6:12:42 PM(UTC)
loveslife

I received my wool kit today for this! It seemed like it took a long time, but I guess it wasn't that bad.... Anyway I've only had time for a quick peek, but it's really going to add a lot for me!

Karen
Rss Feed  Atom Feed