Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

frankied
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:27:34 PM(UTC)
frankied

I couldnt find that anyone had started a gardening thread for this year so ive started one (if ive missed it i apologise and feel free to delete this one). I know its a bit early for most of you to be out in the garden but im proud that i have made a start. I had ordered 2 gooseberrys, 20 strawberry plants, 2 blueberries, 2 blackcurrants and 10 raspberry canes so in between the rain i have been trying to clear the raised beds of weeds and getting them planted in, today i managed the gooseberries and blackcurrants the other day i managed the raspberries so only have to sort out the strawberries and blueberries no hurry for them and soon i need to clean and clear out the greenhouses.

What plans do you have.

Lots of love

Francesxx

Brenda
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:50:49 PM(UTC)
Brenda

Our garden from last summer needs to be cleaned and tilled under.  My husband and I both have not really felt that good since everything dried up and was ready to go.

We will have a nice size garden it is all fenced sense we have so many rabbits here.  No Winter crops just Spring and Summer.

I hope in the net few weeks my Husband and I can get out there and spend some time getting it ready.

I really just need to get my Husband started and he goes with it.

I do need to cut back my roses real soon.  I should have done them in January but they are still blooming.

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

Nancy_MN
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:12:40 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

My $200 worth of seeds have started arriving in the mail.  It sure seems like the prices were high this year.  I won't start anything until mid- to late-March, and only the hardiest of veggies will go into the garden before the last week of May.

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
quiltertess
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:53:04 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

Mother's Day (2nd Sunday in May) is our go to date for planting summer veggies.  Cool weather crops such as lettuce can go in the garden in April, but tomatoes, zucchini and such need to wait a bit longer.  My daisies and mums need to be cleared of deadwood, but its still too cold outside.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
mimi2jefftye
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 7:01:37 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

I am hoping to get my two tomato plants and the pepper plant this weekend.  I love fresh tomatos and cannot wait to get them planted!!!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
EliQuilts
#6 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 12:27:34 AM(UTC)
EliQuilts

My little Kerry is saving apple seeds to plant.  Actually, he wants to plant them now, mommy, but it's not best to do when there's snow on the ground and ice on the Lake.  Lake is such a small word for the Great Lakes.

Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
Chelle
#7 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 9:33:18 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I would love to be a gardener, however it doesn't work out well.  We do have a lime tree and a lemon tree, and they each have a fruit on it :). Will feel better when more fruit show up as we had a freeze in December and I am worried about my trees.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
jcorsbie
#8 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 5:18:14 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

DH built me 3 raised garden boxes, each 4 ft high for gardening this year.  My neighbor had them last year and they worked so well for her I thought I would try it.  Our soil is nothing but sand and even when we augment it, the sand always comes to the top.  It is great for melons but not much else.  According to the Almanac I can plant after Feb 9th so I am going to try their schedule.  I am always late her because I am still on an Iowa schedule.  

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
GardenGal
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 4:02:47 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

All the Spring flowering bulbs are starting to come up so thinking I'll have some blooms in March.    I just found out that honeybees love 'snowdrops' and I believe I have loads of them in the front yard.  I'll be moving most of them closer to my hives so my girls won't have far to go.  

Hoping the blue berry bushes I planted last year put on fruit and that I can get to it before the chickens do.  ha!

Still a couple of months before I'll plant any veggies... but I'm going to start weeding my beds soon.  

gg

--
GardenGal
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:11:44 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

My main raised veggie patch has been modified to keep the chickens out and I've got a few plants in and added some extra garden soil to the bed.  I still need more plants but the ones I saw at lowes were pititul.. squash and cucumber 'plants' only had 2 seed leaves.  

Many flowers put in last weekend and even some seeds sewn.   Excited for blooms and veggies. 

gg

--
cv quilter
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:23:16 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Fred's greenhouse has been very prolific!  He started seedlings in the house in end o January/middle of February...flowers, veggies, herbs.  Tomatoes galore, petunia's, pansies, ((impatiens ( not doing well yet!)), lettuce, peppers, cilantro, peppers, ((neither doing well yet/still)), and OH MY, he placed them all in his greenhouse with a heater and growlights by end of February.  He has now transplanted almost all of his original seedlings....we have foot and a half high tomato plants with blossoms, petunias blooming, pansies and johnny jump ups blooming, lettuce we have been cutting and eating, radishes he harvested today, basil we have used in my spaghetti sauce and salads, wild flowers that we've just sprinkled the seeds in various pots and bowls around the yard that are starting to form little plants.  I know I'm forgetting some of what is growing and being transplanted, but he has now gone to using the evap cooler during the day to keep the heat down in the greenhouse (it's getting up to high 80s/low 90s here during the day) and has turned the grow lights out!  What a fun time he has had.  Loving all the beautiful plants and flowers he has in pots around our yard.  We haven't bought one single plant this year, flowers or veggies, and it's going to be a beautiful spring and summer here.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
quiltertess
#12 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 7:42:34 AM(UTC)
quiltertess

Since we are back from vacation, its time to put the plants in! I'm going to the garden center today to pick some tomato, pepper and zucchini plants, and what ever else catches my fancy.  I'm going to do container gardening this year. The veggie garden needs a complete overhaul and with the colder weather lingering this year, we could not get to it.  Now it just needs to stop raining for a few days...

GardenGal
#13 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 8:16:11 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Sounds sooo wonderful Sharon..  WOW !!!

Good luck on plant hunting Tess.  When you find nice ones, you get so many more veggies than these little seedlings I'm finding here.  :(

Speaking of seedlings, I had to go to Lowes yesterday and while there I got a pot of yellow squash ( 1.98 ) and once again, the plants only have the seed leaves... this frustrates me to pay 2.00 for a seed.    But this one pot had  3 in it so I got it and will get those planted today.

So hubby worked hard this weekend digging at the spillway for our pond and came out with nearly 2 pick up truck loads of dirt.  We and I mean we, filled in our worst  2 spots in the yard where water cuts through and makes it impossible to mow...   after all that hard work, I did NOT want to have the next rain wash the dirt away so I called all over town and found some one that still had sod.   This place JUST got the order in when I called.     Long story shortened a bit, they used to sell Irises but decided it was too much work and let the weeds take over thier beds.. she told me I could dig up as much as I wanted.  GADZOOKS   I took a shovel and I ended up with 65 starts..   Hubby built a raised bed and I'll get them planted late this afternoon.     So happy!   Irises are one of my favorite flowers...  Once I get over this session.. I might go back in a month... might... neck hurts soo much.  but that might be all the shoveling.  ha ha ha

--
patti.cockfield
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 12:15:26 AM(UTC)
patti.cockfield

The scarlet runner beans are planted, as well as beets, sugar snap peas, pak joy (not bok but related? Friend gave me some seeds), and parsley.  Brother-in-law said he would give me some tomato plants. Will wait another week or two for those.  Cleaned up the black berries and raspberries.  Darn mice/voles girded about half the canes.

Now to start on the corner garden which we are going to change to have a deck and pergola. Nice view from there.  Which means I will have to move my rocks that I have collected.  Rocks that I look at now and wonder how I ever picked them up and moved them before. 

quiltertess
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 11:50:52 AM(UTC)
quiltertess

Charlie and I went on a Gardens around the world tour at Epcot last week(in the rain!).  I picked up some good ideas for my gardens here at home, so I went to the garden store yesterday and bought a bunch of plants - some perennials and some annuals.  I like to have a variety.  Now it just needs to stop raining so I can plant them.

Dorian
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 3:00:42 PM(UTC)
Dorian

I do not have much of a green thumb, but thankfully my dh and dd do. They have a cold frame with heating pads in it, that they start their seeds in. We've been eating lettuces and spinach, we have some baby tomato plants just been put in the ground. The strawberries are just now starting to produce . All of the fruit trees have bloomed and fruit is starting on them. I don't think the almond and peach are going to do any fruiting this year though, as they bloomed and then we had a few nights of frost which killed all the blooms. My eldest son has gotten interested in 'farming' this year too. He has been making a bunch of beds/berms for the fruit trees and bushes that we planted this year. He's also been helping with the green beans and potato beds.

GG, just curious, if you are frustrated with buying plants at the store, why not just buy a bag of seeds and start your own plants? You'll pay a lot less that way.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
cv quilter
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 6:58:04 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Fred's greenhouse is AWESOME...tomato plants of various kinds with blossoms...TOO MANY.  He is now trying to find homes for them.  Basil, cilantro, peppers (green bell, jalapeno, yellow sweet) garlic, onions, radishes (several kinds), cucumbers, zuchinni, eggplant, flowers (pansies, petunias, violas, wild flowers galore)....ALL FROM SEED.  He has checked and watched u tube videos galore of all the ways to use the greenhouse and how to plant and grow. Lettuce, I forgot to mention...also beets and turnips...they are all coming up and for now, they all look fantastic.  Have eaten some of the lettuce and radishes.  So fun to eat what Fred grows.  This year no Garden Plot, just the greenhouse and transplanting to larger pots.  What a fun and delicious project this has been.  Delphiniums and snap draggons, alyssum, rosemary, oregano, all coming up and blooming.  

Sharon
jcorsbie
#18 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 9:01:39 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

I am so sad.  I have a 50 foot tall camilla "bush". I t has bloomed every year since we moved out here about 3-1/2 years ago.  It has beautiful pink flowers.  Suddenly, I mean almost like overnight, the entire 50 foot has turned brown.  I cannot figure out why.  It was not caused by frost as they grow all over GA where it gets much colder; plus, I have 7 other, smaller, bushes and they are all ok.  I did not fertilize it nor spray it.  I took a leaf up to the UF ag extension office and they have no idea.  If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate your ideas.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
stitchintime
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 10:44:41 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Jann, my first guess would be root rot or a fungus.  You might try a fungicide and check that the area is draining probably.

Barb
Brenda
#20 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 11:29:20 PM(UTC)
Brenda

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

Fred's greenhouse is AWESOME...tomato plants of various kinds with blossoms...TOO MANY.  He is now trying to find homes for them.  Basil, cilantro, peppers (green bell, jalapeno, yellow sweet) garlic, onions, radishes (several kinds), cucumbers, zuchinni, eggplant, flowers (pansies, petunias, violas, wild flowers galore)....ALL FROM SEED.  He has checked and watched u tube videos galore of all the ways to use the greenhouse and how to plant and grow. Lettuce, I forgot to mention...also beets and turnips...they are all coming up and for now, they all look fantastic.  Have eaten some of the lettuce and radishes.  So fun to eat what Fred grows.  This year no Garden Plot, just the greenhouse and transplanting to larger pots.  What a fun and delicious project this has been.  Delphiniums and snap draggons, alyssum, rosemary, oregano, all coming up and blooming.  

What brand and style of greenhouse does he have?  I would like to get my husband started using one

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

cv quilter
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2018 9:32:22 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

We bought a Palram 6 ft x 8 ft two years ago.  It's not large, but he has put some metal shelving in and he actually gets a lot of plants in there.

Sharon
Rss Feed  Atom Feed