Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

cv quilter
#1 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 4:54:37 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I have been experimenting today with HSTs.  I found a tutorial online that indicates that if you take the desired FINISHED size of a HST, add 7/8 inch to that, then multiply x 2, draw the two diagonal lines corner to corner in both directions, sew 1/4 inch on either side of line (both directions), cut on diagonal lines, then again in between both ways and you have 8 HSTs, SUPPOSEDLY 2 1/2 inch square.  I took 2 1/2 inches, added 7/8 inches (now 3 3/8 inches)  and multiplied x 2..came out to 6 6/8 (6 3/4 inches) square.  After sewing the diagonals and cutting..my HSTs come out about 3 inches give or take a bit (close to 1/4 inch or less larger), so I trimmed to 2 1/2 inches. Almost seems like a lot of trimming, but maybe bigger is better before trimming?   Has anyone had experience with this.  I almost think there was some discussion in another post some time ago, but don't remember what it was.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
stitchintime
#2 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 6:11:14 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

I know Nancy had a thread on this somewhere but I couldn't find it so I checked my chart.  6 3/4 is correct for a 2 1/2 finished HST.  However, the question I have is whether you truly wanted it to finish at 2-1/2 since you stated that you trimmed to 2 -1/2 which means that when sewn into the block (or quilt), it will finish at 2". 

Barb
cv quilter
#3 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 6:18:50 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Barb...Thanks...I knew I was missing something. I played around with this three times and kept coming up too big!  I GET IT!!  I was not thinking of the size now versus FINISHED size.  Will try again tomorrow. :)  Just an off day. 

Sharon
stitchintime
#4 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 6:25:30 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

I know that feeling Sharon.  There is a chart here if you want - it helps me remember to account for the finished size. 

Barb
cv quilter
#5 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 7:28:43 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thank you again, Barb.  I'm saving this link and will print tomorrow. Funny how the OBVIOUS can be so NOT:)

Sharon
Brigit-Carol
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:33:07 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

The magic 8 method is my absolute favourite way of making HSTs, and I rarely have to trim unless the ruler moves when I'm cutting into fourths.  

Rss Feed  Atom Feed