Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

cv quilter
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:35:06 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

SEW today, while in my sewing room, working on a charm quilt I am making for a friend who is starting over, I was trying to put together a list of 12 UFOs I want to see finished in 2018.  2018..OMG, how did that happen?  I was also trying to figure how to re vamp my sewing room and wondring what I could get rid of..make more room for NEW.Anyway, I looked at my long unused Kenmore sewing machine..the one I made maternity clothes, baby clothes, blankets, curtains for our humble homes...I have thought about selling or donating (not worth much $) BUT, somehow I cannot do it.  I remember when I first got this machine...I had previously done hand sewing, hand gathering of yards of ruffles to make (what I thought was) a  beautiful cover/liner for a handled wicker laundry basket "remember those" for my first born...a son to be born not long after I had completed what I thought a beautiful welcome for our son.  I also had handmade my own maternity clothes.  Remember the skirts/pants with ONLY a hole for the belly?  Anyway, I then thought about the "luxury" of having this beautiful, state of the art machine to machine sew my FIRST anything.  I loved it, fell in love with sewing and there was no stopping me.  My Kenmore had CAMS//omg I could sew beautiful stitches on my curtains, pillows, and whatever I made.  I looked at my old Kenmore and, as in the past, thought about selling/donating it...Not many will want it...it is passe.  Not modern.  Funny, I have been trying to find room in my already crouded room (how blessed I am to have this beautiful space) for another old machinie, a Singer 90-15 in cabinet that I purchased and had serviced to "purr" and sew beautifully.  I thought I would be able to part with my old Kenmore..How to do it???  This Kenmore was my friend...made many fun things, baby clothes, maternity clothes...HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE YOUR "OLD FRIEND" of a sewing machine and just can't think of parting with it?

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Brenda
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:46:17 PM(UTC)
Brenda

I have my Grandmother's machine the first one she had ever received.  She bought it brand new from Sears and has sewed so many baby clothes for all generations.  She had a large family so there are a lot of us Grandkids around.  She has now passed on and I could never get rid of it.  It still sews beautifully.  

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

Chelle
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:49:08 PM(UTC)
Chelle

aww.  I dont have one that holds such wonderful memories.  I have a treadle that I have yet to make anything on that I named Ruby after my grandmother.  It sat in the garage in Sunnyvale where I played with it a little. It sat in the mud room in Gallatin where it held other items and we moved here and was in the garage.  All three times I thought well, I suppose I should find it a new home and just couldn't do it.  I am grateful to my husband because it was his idea to move it into the house here.  I have yet to use it, as I think it was just last week that I moved it but I can't let her go.  I do want to think of an easy small project so I can learn her quirks.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
cv quilter
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:36:51 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Chelle, use Ruby.  Funny, that is my mom's name...and she taught me to sew and to love sewing.  I hope you are able to make something on her, fall in love with her, and really appreciate the charm she holds for you.  

Sharon
cv quilter
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:41:10 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Brenda, hold on to the Kenmore and to the memories, even if you were not a part of them directly.  I always loved my Kenmore...feel like it is an old friend, and I honestly don't know how I will ever be without her.  I don't think my daughter, daughter in law, granddaughteers will ever want her.  I don't use her anymore, but my sewing room will have a BIG hole in it without her.

Sharon
Brenda
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:47:54 PM(UTC)
Brenda

Sharon I still remember standing near her and watching her sew when I was little.  

Chelle I have a treadle too that I have never even put the belt on and I have had since 1978.

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

Nancy_MN
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:33:17 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I learned to sew clothes in 7th grade home ec, and I loved it and wanted to buy a machine for home use with my babysitting money. I didn't have enough, so Mom said she would split the cost with me if I would teach her to sew, so together we got a Singer Touch 'n Sew.

That machine served me well for many years. When my husband and I built our first home, he installed the machine into a countertop in my sewing/laundry room. I continued using it there for another 25 years.

I was sad to have to leave that machine behind when we moved from that home. The realtor explained that once it was built in that way, it became part of the house. I didn't take up quilting until 2009. The old a Touch 'n Sew would have been an excellent machine to learn piecing on and to learn what features I needed in a new machine instead of buying "blind" as I did.
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Agnes
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:37:35 AM(UTC)
Agnes

I bought my first machine, in 1965 during my second year of teaching so I could build up my wardrobe during spare time in the evenings and not leave the sewing till I went home on weekends or "borrow" time at someone else's house during the week. It was a Viking, not to be confused with the brand name most know. As Kenmore was to Sears, Viking was to Eaton's, a Canadian counterpart. It had the cams though I never did much with them. I choose it as a cabinet model. I was so proud of it and it sewed fine and served me well.

In 1992 when I went for my first quilting class I needed a portable machine. My intent always was to use the portable for class and the Viking at home. I soon found that was a hassle and used the portable for all my sewing. By this time other than perhaps making simple curtains for privacy reasons I rarely sewed. Just a year or two later a local family with three or four daughters lost their house in a fire. They received many furniture donations but no sewing machine which was what one of the girls missed most so I passed my first machine on to her. Though there were times I missed the machine I have never regretted giving the machine to a girl that needed it.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
mimi2jefftye
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:26:08 AM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

My mom's treadle is with my cousin, who I know will cherish and use it.  He quilts now too.  Her Kenmore with all the cams is at my sister's home.  We were just saying the other day that we need to take it out and see if we can remember how to use the cams.

I love how we all have those memories, some may not have the machines but those memories are still strong in our minds.  I remember my mom teaching me to make my first quilt.  A nine patch with sashing and cornerstones.  I had to cut out cardboard template from a cereal box and trace my pieces.  Then cut them all out individually with scissors.  I sewed the nine patches by hand and then the sashing, cornerstones and blocks into a top on the sewing machine.  I was 8 at the time.  I had that quilt clear up until my divorce and I guess my ex needed it more than me.  

Oh how quilting has changed since then.  Thank you for the walk down memory lane.  I really needed it today!!!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
Dorian
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:34:02 PM(UTC)
Dorian

What a wonderful post! I love all the stories. Keep your Kenmore Sharon!

I have a treadle that my honey bought me when we were first married (24 yrs ago). We made payments on it, buying it at an antique store. I was so excited when we made the final payment and brought it home! I learned how to sew in 7th grade home ec too Nancy :) But after that, I didn't touch a machine till we brought the treadle home. I taught myself how to quilt on that machine, and I still love to use it for piecing. But it's gathering dust right now, as it needs an uptake lever... sigh~

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
dogsbody
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:47:59 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

I still prefer scissors for most cutting. Can't seem to get the hang of that rotary thing, always tracking off the path.

Agnes
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:35:43 AM(UTC)
Agnes

Originally Posted by: dogsbody Go to Quoted Post

I still prefer scissors for most cutting. Can't seem to get the hang of that rotary thing, always tracking off the path.

How we all differ. If it weren't for the rotary cutter I wouldn't have become a quilter.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
jcorsbie
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:18:01 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

I have two hideous shocking pink, crushed velvet stuffed chairs.  When we first got married we rented an apartment furnished.  We decided we wanted to start buying furniture so we could lower our rent.  So we took the twenty $25 savings bonds my grandmother gave me at every birthday and bought two army cots and these two chairs.  I thought they were the most beautiful chairs in the world and so happy my wonderful DH didn't feel strongly about the color.  I have never been able to get rid of them or even recover them.  One is in my sewing room and the other in my DGD's room here at our house.  It still is the most comfortable chair I have.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
cv quilter
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:36:00 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Amazing how we get attached and fall in love with something that has brought us happiness and comfort.  I love your story, Jann, and can certainly relate.

Sharon
Rss Feed  Atom Feed