Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages123>»
mimi2jefftye
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:46:29 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

I have decided that there is no better time to be a better me than now.  My plan is not to set resolutions, unrealistic goals and major unattainable life changes; it is going to be made up of little changes, tiny attainable goals and eventual changes that will lead (I hope) to healthier life style habits.

A few of my changes are to eat healthier, walk a bit more, smile more, and let stress affect me less.  If any of these ideas sound like something you would like to also do, then please join me this year.  We are not going to chart anything, no one is required to check in regularly, all we are looking for is your input.

Some of us will occasionally be having a rough time getting over a plateau, or just not able to get the motivation to move, maybe we will be looking for some ideas for recipes for healthier options.  Maybe some of you have already attained a Better You and you could offer encouragement or tell us what worked (or did not work) for you.  

What I am hoping this thread will result in is a place where we can ask questions, get suggestions, offer encouragement, hear ideas for improvements.  This is not just for weight loss, although most of us would agree that our weight is one of the areas we all want to improve.  Some may just need to improve in movement (excercise) to keep their weight at the healthy level they are at.  Some may want to hear how to stress less.  What ever you think you need to do to attain a better you, please post about it.  I will start.

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
mimi2jefftye
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:01:34 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

I asked for and received a Fitbit for Christmas.  Still learning all the bells and whistles.  Hoping it will help me stay more aware of moving all day long!

Planning to make food changes to make meals a bit more healthy......more turkey, chicken, fish and seafood and less red meat.

Going to start walking once or twice a day out in the park, but I will admit I am a fair weather girl.  I will be waiting a couple of days until the temps are warmer.

Not sure how to actually set up a real walking regime, but hoping to see ideas here.  

What is your favorite healthy meal?

Chelle
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:51:02 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Oh I am so in, and truly want to be better to myself than last year.  

I have to start cooking healthy again.  Max says he wants to learn to cook, and he is focused on getting all of us to eat healthier.  I need to find recipes that basically are meat and veggie and spices.  I want to get away from flour and sugar again.

I have decided that when Max goes back to school next week, I will go for a walk right after I drop him off.  The amount of walking I get done each day will be based on how my body is feeling.  I have to be better about listening to my body.  If my feet or ankle are acting up, I may have to just walk to the corner and back- but I will improve my steps.

I posted in my blog that my mom encouraged me to do a quote journal, and I feel this will help fight the negative self talk, so I need to make sure I work on my journal regularly.  As far as stress goes, I know we can't get away from it completely, however, I can control how I deal with the stress.  I don't need to eat to feel better, I can go for a walk instead, or find a quote to write down and doodle around it.

I need to not take on other people's stress as well as other people's moods.  Anyone else like that, if someone close to me is having a bad day- somehow a cloud is suddenly over me- that has to stop.  Any suggestions on how to do that?

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
jcorsbie
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:57:44 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Count me in.  This is 2018 plan

Do one good deed everyday.

Bite my tongue in political discussions.

Ditch the carbs.

Drink more water

Practice the piano at least 30 minutes per day and be able to play at least one Sonata by the end of the year at the level I attained in college.

Work out in the yard at least 30 minutes per day.

Work in the garage reorganizing my cedar fabric room and craft room until they are complete.

Get the office caught up and get taxes done this year with no extension.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
GardenGal
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:59:54 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

more steps, less 'wrong' foods and lose more weight and keep it off.

gg

--
mgallardo68
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:57:50 PM(UTC)
mgallardo68

Organize my ideas, use more my stash, quilt more

mimi2jefftye
#7 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 8:26:38 AM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

Ladies it looks like we are all making the first steps to becoming a "Better Your".  We have set our plans, now we just need to act on those plans.  We are going to always be available to encourage each other!  So if your motivation is lacking, let us know.  If your current plan is not working, ask for suggestions and ideas.  If you are succeeding, even if it is a small success to you, post it and let us cheer you on.  

Those of you who are lurking, that is okay too.  Maybe you will find ideas and suggestions that might work for you.  Someday, if you feel comfortable jot a note and let us know that you are here.

Remember there is no pressure, except for the pressure we place on ourselves!  

Time to get moving!

Leslie
#8 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 9:37:08 AM(UTC)
Leslie

I find meal prepping works the best for me.
I like the prepare my meals on Sunday, I place all my meals for the week into individual containers, that is all my lunches and dinners for my work week. This method has worked great for me, keeps me from over eating.bigGrin
Leslie
monalee
#9 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 9:44:05 AM(UTC)
monalee

I have lost 35 lbs since changing careers and moving to my daughters. I follow the keto plan and it works for me. I am continuing the lifestyle, made it thru the holidays and vacation without increasing my weight. My plan is to lose another 30 lbs, get more exercise and do more traveling, it’s good for my soul.
Leslie
#10 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 6:28:07 PM(UTC)
Leslie

Mona, that's awesomeclap
Leslie
Agnes
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:09:54 AM(UTC)
Agnes

In discussion I see many saying the weather is interfering with exercise. Winter is in serious deep freeze mode. I have spent a few days trying to find an exercise video on You Tube. Ten years ago I was involved in a group that followed the original VHS tape. I found that very helpful though it was once a week. You might want to check out Jane Fonda's Youtube video. It is the same program. If you move at her pace you will be "walking" a 20 minute mile meanwhile also doing routines to work the upper body. If this is too slow for you go to Level 2 which steps it up. www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UabUNrjSE4

Meanwhile I am watching more diligently what is going into my mouth. My first happy place goal is to lose 10 lbs. This weight has slowly crept onto me when I was living in more stressful surroundings. 

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
GardenGal
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:23:11 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

confessing... not having a great start to the new year... still trying to empty the wrong foods from the cabinets...  next trip to grocery store - NO wrong foods will come home.  

Later today, I'll sneak into the kitchen and toss out a few carbs that no one needs or will miss ( bottom of the bag chips and such )

gg

--
mimi2jefftye
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:18:35 AM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

Love idea of you tube videos for exercising indoors, only issue for me......need to find a routine that takes little room and not too much jumping and such. Living in an rv limits some of the basic exercise routines, but i will be looking!!!
Leslie
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:43:14 AM(UTC)
Leslie

Originally Posted by: mimi2jefftye Go to Quoted Post
Love idea of you tube videos for exercising indoors, only issue for me......need to find a routine that takes little room and not too much jumping and such. Living in an rv limits some of the basic exercise routines, but i will be looking!!!

Yoga, is greatbigGrin
Leslie
Agnes
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 11:17:24 AM(UTC)
Agnes

Originally Posted by: mimi2jefftye Go to Quoted Post

There are many you tube videos that need minamal space. I do my exercises in an area no more than 8 x 8 ft. It is not a kitchen but think galley kitchen layout where I am following the Jane Fonda video without problem. I have to get more coordinated and comfortable in keeping upper and lower body doing separate workouts at the same time. 

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
Chelle
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 2:33:59 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I would love to do yoga.  I had a dvd years ago that I followed, just some basic stuff.  I also need to get back to the hula dvd.  Today DH and I went out to breakfast and then got some steps in. :)

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
empeywl
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:43:29 PM(UTC)
empeywl

Location: at the foot of the rocky mountains along the Wasatch front range

My year and a half sevadical is over. I start training for the Ogden Half Marathon on Wednesday. This will be  my 7th one in Five years.

Blood work did not come back so good

My better life style will be:

more sleep ( no staying up late)

No sugar

eating healthy

physical training 

walking

tracking food

Wendy Empey
Eponine1984
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 5:52:31 PM(UTC)
Eponine1984

The last few months of 2017, I started tracking food and exercise and had great results.  I lost about 30 lbs and ran a 5k.

In 2018, I will continue tracking my food (I use MyFitnessPal - it's a free website/app that's super easy to use and is the main secret to my success) and will continue running.  After my 5k, I continued running, gradually adding longer runs.  I've started a half marathon training plan and although I haven't registered, there's a half at the end of April that I'm looking at running.

I got a Garmin watch for Christmas which tracks my runs, steps, calories burned, heart rate, and a zillion other things.  On the days that I run - I'm great!  But I've never realized how sedentary I can be otherwise until my watch started yelling at me to "move!"

So my main 2018 goals are:

• continue tracking food
  • train and run a half marathon
  • increase daily activity level - 10k steps

I think that's all for me for now.

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Nancy_MN
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 8:33:32 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I'm so disappointed that I've slowly let 10 pounds creep back on, so it's back to the Cooking Light online diet plan for me. Both DH and I did very well on this two years ago and learned a lot about portion control, but after we reached our goal, we dropped the plan, and I guess we let portion sizes increase again. I don't need to lose as much this time, but I do best under the structure of the plan. I guess I've always known I have no will power. Thankfully, I like to cook because these recipes require on average 45-60 minutes to prepare.

For exercise, I attend an hour long yoga class twice a week. I should do more sessions on my own at home between those. Hopefully lengthy dog walks will resume when the temps moderate.
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
LaDawn
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 10:57:37 PM(UTC)
LaDawn

Since October, I have been following Bright Line Eating. It has been very good for more, but I kind of lost some momentum over Christmas, so that is my first goal: get back to it and lose 10 more pounds.

Second, more scripture study and writing in my gratitude journal daily.

Third, go to bed earlier (as I write this at 11:00 pm!), And get up earlier

Fourth, become a first time grandma in July! (That one will be easy! dance)
mimi2jefftye
#21 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 6:19:14 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

Would love to hear more about the journal writing that Chelle and LaDawn are doing.  I am thinking that Chelle's idea of writing when we get the urge to snack is a great idea.

So ladies would you share with us what your journaling is all about?  Please!!!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed