Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Brigit-Carol
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:56:01 AM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

I'm probably crazy to start this, but I loved the one she did in the fall.  So I pulled fabrics yesterday in one of her alternate colourways and am going to join in.  I don't like Facebook which is where folks post their progress, so decided to see if anyone here wants to sew along?  It's only a 9 week committment, not a mystery so you can work ahead if you want, and an easy pattern.  

Here is the URL:  https://happycloudcreations.com/2018/01/02/aloha-ripple-quilt-along/

I'll be back to post my fabric choices later.  

Here is the Quilt along Schedule!

Starting January 2nd: Download Pattern – Select your fabric and post a photo!
Week 1: January 16th: Cut fabric
Week 2: January 23rd: Make the Flying Geese
Week 3: January 30th: Make the Half Square Triangles
Week 4: February 6th: Make the Center Block (1)
Week 5: February 13th: Make Corner Blocks A (2)
Week 6: February 20th: Make Corner Blocks B (2)
Week 7: February 27th: Make the Stacked Flying Geese blocks (4)
Week 8: March 6th: Assemble your Quilt Top
Week 9: March 13th: Baste, Quilt and Bind your Quilt!

mgallardo68
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:58:29 AM(UTC)
mgallardo68

Will try to follow Carol! Just downloaded the pattern! ♥

Teatime
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:42:59 AM(UTC)
Teatime

I just downloaded the pattern too. This quilt is just my style and just my size. Will follow and see if I can keep up. I'm trying to stay organized this year so I don't have too many UFOs. Hmmm - what kind of fabric. It has to come from my stash.  

Marian
Brigit-Carol
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:59:05 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

I'm glad to see others are interested.  I'll be making the throw size.  For those who are gluttons for punishment, she just posted how to do a king size on her blog -- basically add column to the right and left of the queen size to make it square.  

I'm using an alternate colour arrangement she posted with blue, green, and grey.  The grey is darker than I like but my background is a pale grey and I wanted the contrast. 

GloBug
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:12:27 PM(UTC)
GloBug

I just might join in this QAL.....thinking..... 

Brigit-Carol
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:28:07 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

Thank you GloBug.  I've never learned how to imbed a link on this site, so just copy and paste the URL.  I also wasn't sure if I were allowed to print the schedule here, so thanks again for doing that. 

mgallardo68
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 12:18:45 AM(UTC)
mgallardo68

Do you think is possible doing it just black and white? 

GloBug
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:49:29 AM(UTC)
GloBug

Maria, why don't you print out the "Color Your Own" sheet she's posted on page 2 of the pattern and see if you can make it work with using black and white?

I was thinking of doing the quilt in red, black, gray and white.  I saw that color combo in one of her posted examples and I think my older son would love it in this colorway.

Threadbare
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:32:15 PM(UTC)
Threadbare

I downloaded the pattern but I will have to see if I have fabric to do the throw.  Just what I need is another project.

Ok here are  my fabrics but after I took the pic I realized I had one too many so one of these fabrics will not be in it.

So I posted my choice on FB and people thought I should change the cream.  So I took out the light blue and change the cream to very light green.  What do you think?

FLORENCE
monalee
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:36:43 PM(UTC)
monalee

I got the pattern downloaded and will see if I can keep up. I have a planner I am filling in to try and organize my quilting for better results.
mgallardo68
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:58:28 PM(UTC)
mgallardo68

Let me check it and will come back! Thank you Glo for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by: GloBug Go to Quoted Post

Maria, why don't you print out the "Color Your Own" sheet she's posted on page 2 of the pattern and see if you can make it work with using black and white?

I was thinking of doing the quilt in red, black, gray and white.  I saw that color combo in one of her posted examples and I think my older son would love it in this colorway.

Threadbare
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:56:07 AM(UTC)
Threadbare

i am still not totally sure about my background but I like the rest so I am going to start cutting.

FLORENCE
Brigit-Carol
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:41:16 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

Mgallard,  I thought about doing a black and white one as well.  I have a bunch of patterned b/w fabrics, some more white, and some more black.  I also have a couple with red in them.  I don't think I can do two at this time, but might pull some b/w fabrics to audition for a later quilt.  Some people made 4 or 5 of her fall one.    

Florence, I like your second set of fabrics very much.  That will be a beautiful quilt. 

Well, I decided to see what b/w fabrics might work.  I forgot to turn the flash on, so the pic is a bit yellowish.  The red is a true red, not orangy as shown here.  The white would be the background. I can't believe I'm thinking of doing two!

GloBug
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 11:08:54 PM(UTC)
GloBug

So okay, call me crazy!

I'm going to participate in the QAL and make a red, gray, black and white Queen size quilt for my oldest son.  He graduated from Cornell and loves his red color.  I think he'll like this design.  I will be using Kona solid fabrics.  I already have Kona in white, black and some of the red color.  I found Kona on sale and ordered more of the red color I have on had and also the gray color...should be here by next week.  I'll post a picture once all the fabric is in my sewing room.

~Glo

Threadbare
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 8:11:16 AM(UTC)
Threadbare

Black and white and red BEAUTIFUL.

FLORENCE
mgallardo68
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 9:06:08 AM(UTC)
mgallardo68

Glo, can you tell me where did you get Kona in sale!??
mgallardo68
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 9:27:58 AM(UTC)
mgallardo68

I hope you find the time for the B&W version Carol!! But for now, these fabrics are beautiful and I am sure it will look great. I will pull my fabrics today let's see how they look together!!

Originally Posted by: Brigit-Carol Go to Quoted Post
Mgallard, I thought about doing a black and white one as well. I have a bunch of patterned b/w fabrics, some more white, and some more black. I also have a couple with red in them. I don't think I can do two at this time, but might pull some b/w fabrics to audition for a later quilt. Some people made 4 or 5 of her fall one. Florence, I like your second set of fabrics very much. That will be a beautiful quilt. Well, I decided to see what b/w fabrics might work. I forgot to turn the flash on, so the pic is a bit yellowish. The red is a true red, not orangy as shown here. The white would be the background. I can't believe I'm thinking of doing two!

mgallardo68
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 9:30:11 AM(UTC)
mgallardo68

Pretty combination!!

Originally Posted by: Threadbare Go to Quoted Post
I downloaded the pattern but I will have to see if I have fabric to do the throw. Just what I need is another project.
Ok here are my fabrics but after I took the pic I realized I had one too many so one of these fabrics will not be in it.

So I posted my choice on FB and people thought I should change the cream. So I took out the light blue and change the cream to very light green. What do you think?

GloBug
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:57:37 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Originally Posted by: mgallardo68 Go to Quoted Post

www.fabricshack.com

I just took a peek and their prices for Kona Cotton are no longer on sale BUT...they still have a pretty low price per yard. Do a google search for "Kona fabric on sale" and see what other sites pop up to compare prices.  Good luck!!

mgallardo68
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 11:23:17 PM(UTC)
mgallardo68

♥♥♥

Originally Posted by: GloBug Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: mgallardo68 Go to Quoted Post

www.fabricshack.com

I just took a peek and their prices for Kona Cotton are no longer on sale BUT...they still have a pretty low price per yard. Do a google search for "Kona fabric on sale" and see what other sites pop up to compare prices.  Good luck!!

Brigit-Carol
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:22:06 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

I'm glad there are several of us doing this.  I'll post the link each Tuesday for the next step.  I think I can figure out how to do that.  

The next step is cutting, so I might get a head start on some of it.  I have to decide whether to follow her HST directions or go with the 8 at a time.  She's using the no waste 4 at a time for most of the flying geese.  

And being a glutton for punishment, I'm going to do both of them at the same time.  They will make lovely prayer quilts. 

Rss Feed  Atom Feed