Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
loveslife
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:25:49 PM(UTC)
loveslife

I'm getting ready to tackle some clutter, wondering who else is on the team?

Creating Mary's Home Website

I define happiness as a continuous, creative activity.
Chelle
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:26:33 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I am for sure!  I even told DH the house was looking cluttered, and we got rid of so much when we moved!

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
GloBug
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 4:13:29 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Karen, I'm glad you started this thread.  I'm ready to do some decluttering.

Last spring I did major decluttering of my clothing, shoes, purses, fashion jewlry, etc because I no longer needed these items since retiring.  I'm telling you, after delivering 6 large trash bags full to our community donation center, I felt such a lightness and "clean" feeling.  To this date, it's so nice to open my closet and drawers to see only items that I use on a daily basis.

So now I need to tackle my hall closet and kitchen cabinets/drawers that holds household items and such.  There are probably items in there that haven't seen the day of light for over 25 years...I'm not kidding!!  It seems my problem about doing this type of decluttering is climbing up onto a step ladder to reach the top cabinets.  Since my hip replacement surgery, it's been a scary thing to do and I don't feel steady on the step ladder, but I'm determined to get this project done.

And don't get me started on the decluttering process our family will be doing with my in-laws house.  That project is going to take a long, long time as my husband and his siblings have a lot of emotional ties to many of the items in that house.  I don't blame them but then again, stuff needs to be taken by them, upcycled/donated, thrown out, etc.  They want to keep the house in the family because it sits on about an acre of land at the end of a cul-de-sac which is a rarity in our SoCal town.  It's so quiet/peaceful up there, but I digress.  So, yes...I'm glad you started this thread, lol!

~Glo 

loveslife
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 10:12:12 PM(UTC)
loveslife

Great Chelle and Gloria!

I did a lot last year too, but need to do more on the main floor, and I didn't touch our basement area last year, and I need to tackle that for sure. We can cheer each other on. I hope to be done by spring!

How about you?
GardenGal
#5 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 7:52:02 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

I'm not sure how this works but if anyone needs to declutter, I sure do.    My sewing room and the guest room next to it need HELP.  My plans are to use the trading post or freebies tables.

gg

--
Mimi
#6 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 9:04:41 AM(UTC)
Mimi

I've been reading a book entitled, the life-changing magic of tidying up, by Marie Kondo.  Maybe some of you have read it also?  Her premise is if the item doesn't give you joy, upcycle, donate it, or throw it away.  She says it will take 6 months to a year to get your home the way you want it to be.   

We started on the living room and that's now livable. It's so great to recover that room. Wonderful feeling of freedom. Last week after the family left, we purged DH's closet and dresser. Three bags of give aways and lots of trash.  

So I'm right there with all of you, needing a little peace in my home.  I'll be purging from the sewing space, too.  Hope some of you will like my offerings.   

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
Agnes
#7 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 9:18:25 AM(UTC)
Agnes

I like reading of your intentions. Decluttering and sharing is such a freeing experience. It has become a way of life for me so I won't be joining but cheering you on. Go, Girls, Go. 

Glo, take care. Perhaps you need a stepladder with the hoop at the top. I feel so much safer on one of those than the usual style. I lean into the hoop but also have it there for a hand hold as an extra steadying factor. My kitchen cabinets go right to the ceiling and mine lives in the kitchen. I use it almost daily rather than doing the extra stretch like I used to. My fall and fractured wrist a year ago brought me the reality that one can't afford to take chances.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
tracyh
#8 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 9:40:15 AM(UTC)
tracyh

I did some cleaning out this fall - pantry (I have a walk in pantry/closet) that had collected too much stuff and I cleaned it out - some was trash some went to the thrift shops. We have a Goodwill, a Salvation Army and another that works with prison ministry and I made my rounds contributing to each! I also cleaned out our closets in and took bags of clothing that we no longer wear. My next area is probably the attic - well maybe there is no heat up there and it's in single digits right now

It does feel good when I clean up or out different areas. I am now working on my sewing area - purging and rearranging! I find it more difficult to work in clutter. 

Tracy

loveslife
#9 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 11:37:42 AM(UTC)
loveslife

I've added a blog post that Veronica had originally posted and it helped me last year.  I will add her weekly blog posts if anyone wants to use them for motivation, or to organize their organizing!  

I won't be following it as closely as I did last year, as for me, by doing so, I ended up deglecting areas I need to concentrate on for this year.  It really helped,and by doing so, I am still enjoying the benefits of my accomplishments from last year, as others have said.  Most of the areas she lists could use a re-visit, and I will be doing that.  One of my favorite things last year was when I reorganized the storage space under my stairs, which was about the only part I really did in the basement, but to this day, I just love the space I have created, along with the shelves I had DH build.

Thanks for following along and cheering us on Agnes, I know you have mastered this art!  I had no idea about that kind of step ladder, will look into that!

Mimi, I do have that book, I will bring it back up on my kindle, feel free to pass along tips!

For me, it works best to be done in 90 days, as that brings us up to Easter, and that's always a good goal for me, though I know it takes longer, as in my part 2 of the 90 day challenge this year!

Let's encourage each other as we help ourselves feel better as well!

Thanks for joining me!

Karen

loveslife
#10 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 11:41:11 AM(UTC)
loveslife

Week #1 – Laundry Room

Here are the areas to declutter each day to do the laundry room. If you do not have a specific room for laundry, declutter the area where you do the laundry or keep laundry and cleaning supplies.

Monday – upper cabinets and shelves

Tuesday – above and below washer and dryer

Wednesday – drawers

Thursday – lower cabinets

Friday – closet and remaining furniture

Saturday – floor

Sunday – rest for the week ahead

Take the time right now to plan these tasks into your week. Make arrangements and changes to your schedule when necessary. You may have to let go of something to focus on the challenge, but the sacrifice will be worth it in the end!

loveslife
#11 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 11:46:48 AM(UTC)
loveslife

These suggestions are from CreatingMary'sHome.com if you would like to take a look at her products or services.

For me, for this week, I am going to be working on putting Christmas away, a general household clean up, and cleaning my laundry room well!  I will be starting in my sewing room soon!  (yikes)

Veronica
#12 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 12:17:15 PM(UTC)
Veronica

This is great Karen!  I'm glad you're starting this up and can use last year's posts. 

I will actually be doing a year long process of decluttering and cleaning and organizing.  This week my focus is the kitchen counters and sink....which is good since I haven't done dishes for 3 or 4 days and every dish is dirty.  Yikes!

Chelle
#13 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 12:20:59 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Well I threw away the birds of paradise seeds I was trying to get growing- didnt happen.  Those were in the laundry room.  The only other thing I need to get out of there are some jeans, need to see if they fit Christian, if not- toss.  Yesterday I found a home for two sewing machines and I got the Christmas tree stuff taken care of, as well as the little knick knacks.  I did leave my snowman wallhanging up though.  I think a big problem I have is trying to get others to declutter their stuff as well.  All I can do is focus on the kitchen (other than gradpa's stuff), living room, dining room and my part of the bedroom/bathroom LOL.  

mgallardo68
#14 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 12:51:42 PM(UTC)
mgallardo68

I am with Agnes, I try to keep minimalist in my possessions but we are many, and even trying hard, we end the year always with lots of stuff that need decluttering. We give it all away except the damaged things. 

Cleaning up is scheduled and I love the suggestions here so I think I will follow and use your information and tips a guide!!!

Happy New Year everyone!

Agnes
#15 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 3:26:04 PM(UTC)
Agnes

Shortly after my previous post our hydro went out so I started the new year off with a change of plans. Four hours later in an environment with outdoor temps at -30º F or C we have heat again. So instead of sewing I found myself organizing some things for cross stitch and some stations that deal with sewing. Before I can sew I need to get the cross stitch stuff rounded up to further work with it in the evening.

Maria, as I live alone I only have my stuff to deal with. That makes it a lot easier than with a household of many.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
loveslife
#16 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 3:50:17 PM(UTC)
loveslife

Veronica, I actually followed your link from last year, and it took me to 2018 for this year's challenge!

Thanks to whoever created the proper links to Mary's site. I appreciate it!
loveslife
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 3:21:19 PM(UTC)
loveslife

Well I have put Christmas away, and cleaned the house.  Paid extra attention when cleaning the laundry room.  That leaves me with just enough time (hopefully) to baste a Santa lap quilt ufo from 10 years ago that I want to have done by the 12th day of Cmas, (Jan 6) so it is ready for next year..

Karen

Brenda
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:56:40 PM(UTC)
Brenda

I have not finished going thru all of the Christmas boxes.  I desided they needed a declutter too.  I have so many ornaments that I want to  donate.  I figure this is the perfect time to do this before putting them back in the rafters.

My daughter borrowed a lot of them this year since she has a 2 1/2 year old and I will give her most of those for her future Christmas celebrations.

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

loveslife
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 8:51:11 AM(UTC)
loveslife

That sounds like a good plan Brenda!
Chelle
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:44:15 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I decluttered the kitchen counters yesterday and finished the shelf above my washer and dryer.  Living room is decluttered and I have one spot in the dining room that needs attention, so I will get that done today.

GardenGal
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:46:36 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Laundry room cabinets and drawers - DONE.   I had no idea I had that much stuff that needed to be put elsewhere or tossed.  SO VERY glad I read the challenge

left to do are the closet & floors.  

gg

--
Rss Feed  Atom Feed