Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chelle
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:00:11 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Hey all :)

So for years I have had this hexie quilt top from my great great aunt or cousin or something.  I told myself I was going to finish it into a quilt and sadly the year has gone by and it hasn't happened.  I have an issue with one hexie and I am hoping for some input.  Nearly all the mulicolored pieces are barely hanging on to the solid blue.  A lot of those edges have frayed and the maker didn't use 1/4 inch seams, but I measured and they did 1/8th inch.  How would you suggest I proceed with fixing this particular block and also, suggestions for quilting once its sandwiched so that the seams done split later?

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
stitchintime
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:34:58 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

You can definitely see the seams pulling apart and fraying.  I would probably start with some fray check to stop the fraying and help stiffen the loose fabric edge. Then tuck the seam back under and press with starch.  You could then use a hand stitch (either invisible or blanket) along the edge to secure the seam down.  It might be possible to use a seam tape along the seams to help hold them.  As for quilting, I would either stitch beside each seam (time consuming) or stipple.  The less those seams move, the more likely they are to hold together.  I think it is great that you will be finishing this project. 

Barb... The Lion does not turn around when a small dog barks
cv quilter
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:45:29 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Chelle, I agree with everything Barb said.  It's going to be difficult to reinforce these seams.  The block is so pretty.  One other suggestion I have...if the fabric is stable enough, maybe some seam embellishment (as in Crazy Quilt stitches/embellishments)??.  I'm really happy to see your post.  I have an OLD scrappy quilt top from my grandmother, which encompasses fabrics from my Mother's and her two sisters dresses.  The fabric is thin, some seams pulling away from each other and actually "just threads".  I will watch this thread and see what others think.  I would love to see you be able to save your family quilt top and make it into something you will treasure in your home.

Sharon
dogsbody
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:09:23 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

A very thin iron-on stabilizer applied to the back before qulting works wonders.

LaDawn
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:10:07 PM(UTC)
LaDawn

I wad going to suggest the stabilizer on the back, too!
Chelle
#6 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 8:54:41 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I was thinking about replacing the pieces that have frayed because as I looked at the piecing they were barely attached to the the other hexagons.  I was surprised that that wasn't suggested by anyone, is there a reason?

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
dogsbody
#7 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:32:43 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

Matching the fabric could be a problem.

Fabriholic
#8 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 1:00:01 PM(UTC)
Fabriholic

If you have a source for that era of fabric - some antique stores have some, you could replace some, doesn't have to be the same shade if you replace the solid and the floral just the same era. 

Sheila
Today is a new day!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed