Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<2021222324>»
JudyT
#442 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 11:22:08 AM(UTC)
JudyT

Originally Posted by: Agnes Go to Quoted Post
Judy--With the total scrappy I'm not sure about the really light sashing. Have you tried a green/aqua or something of a different color that blends for the sashing where you have the light in place? I find the neutral stops my eye completely when I would like it to just rest there for a moment. The cornerstones are a great idea. It's your quilt so do what works for you.......

Thanks Agnes, I think you're right about the gray sashing. Problem is I don't have enough aqua left and I don't want to buy fabric. Especially for a quilt I'm not crazy about. I'll finish the blocks and decide what I'm going to do with construction. Perhaps no sashing, split into two small quilts and use fleece as the backing without batting. Simple finish and donate to charity.

Judy in the Pacific Northwest
Agnes
#443 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 11:53:27 AM(UTC)
Agnes

Judy--When I first donated quilts to Children's Hospital the coordinator told me there was a child for every quilt when I asked her if they had any preferences. Someone will be happy to receive the quilts.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
GardenGal
#444 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 5:02:49 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

I'm not sure if I will add more blocks or what borders I will finish it in but here is the layout that was calling to me.   I had not made the brown flying geese so used that cream and brown fabric as sashing....  I have a boatload of units still made... I think i could double this size if I wanted to but like the idea of it being a lap quilt...  

One more seam and these will be one panel. 

I did not make her block,  I actually made two other blocks and used the aqua as the large triange and not the coral on the unit that I can't think of the name hahahaha.

gg

--
GloBug
#445 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 5:19:24 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Oh gg...I love it!!  What I'm liking best is that the aqua shows through better with your design.

I just might copy you...    I haven't made the brown/cream FG yet.

Glo

cv quilter
#446 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 5:30:25 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

GG, that is gorgeous!  I actually love your layout.  I am really loving the size of this quilt.  And the cream and brown sashing is smashing (ha ha, I rhymed) I love seeing what you all are doing.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
GloBug
#447 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 9:25:18 PM(UTC)
GloBug

I'm baaaack!! 

Today I did some major fabric prepping and cutting of aqua, browns and corals to create the units from Clue 4 & 6 combined....a shadow 4 patch with a piece of coral, then subcutting into the Clue 6 units.  Before cutting, I made a sample and was pleased with this "shortcut".  So now that all the pieces are cut out, I'll be sewing, sewing and more sewing.

I have a Bloc Loc Strip Ruler and it's working wonders on my aqua/brown strip sets....love it!!

I'm still loving the colorways of aqua, creams, browns and corals but I am not liking sewing up all the small units to create the block...but I'll move forwrd.

I'm determined to get this MQ finished by summer of 2018, and not the summer of 2019, lol.  

JackieH
#448 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 9:55:13 PM(UTC)
JackieH

Love seeing photos of everyone progress. I have worked on this bit by bit but I haven't had any time for the past week.

I had enough of each step made to put some blocks together. I don't know if I pressed something wrong but my pieces seemed to match up better if I reversed the corner units so my blocks will look different.  I'm thinking of using those sashing units for a border too, a picket fence kind of thing maybe.

And will I put my blocks on point, or not  sashing or not  I think for now I will just keep making units and blocks and see where it takes me.

Jacy
tracyh
#449 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:41:45 AM(UTC)
tracyh

Everyone's renditions of Bonnie's mystery are beautiful! I have 50 9 patches complete - I have made no progress on this front, but I have a clean and rearranged sewing area! Now if I could just get back in the sewing room - hopefully this week.

Tracy

Agnes
#450 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:47:33 AM(UTC)
Agnes

GG--I like waht you have done. Your design is far more pleasing to me than the original design.

True to me, I fell off the wagon again. There will not be On Ringo Lake. I am working on Flying Geese Over Red Lake. I will be using the few nine patches I have made possibly as border cornerstones or in the backing. I am thoroughly enjoying making the FG units upsized to 4.5 rather than 3" units. I have totally deviated from the original colors as well. 

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
GardenGal
#451 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:12:15 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

My version is finished and tomorrow I will pin baste it.  :D

--
cv quilter
#452 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:11:08 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Awesome, GG.  I love the way you put it all together...the narrow turquoise order is perfect and I really like the outer border.  

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
GloBug
#453 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 1:05:55 AM(UTC)
GloBug

What a sweet looking quilt gg!  What size is your quilt top?

I continue to do the shaded 4-patch with coral rectangle piece, combining Clues 4 & 6.  I've got 100 units trimmed/made and will continue working on these puppies for a few more days.

Angele3
#454 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 8:51:00 AM(UTC)
Angele3

GG I love your version of Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt. I like the way your blocks shine and move
GardenGal
#455 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 12:56:22 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Thanks all.  

Glo it's about 55 x 65"  :)

My mother claimed this one so it's got a home.  :D

gg

--
Quiltbaby
#456 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 12:59:34 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

GG that is so colorful! Love how it turned out.
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Brigit-Carol
#457 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 1:08:19 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

Judy -- I love your blocks, and I'm not a fan of scrappy.  I saw a version on another board that I really liked using very narrow brown sashing -- it cut down on the intense orangyness but didn't take away from the blocks. 

The sashing finishes out at 1/2", so barely there.  I'm also really partial to GG's layout with triple sashing and the nine blocks for corner stones.  

GardenGal
#458 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 3:30:32 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Great job Brigit !!!    That looks so nice!

gg

--
Nancy_MN
#459 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 3:43:45 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

GG, I think Brigit-Carol is saying she saw that on another site. I really like that and may try to duplicate it.

Are you going to post your pretty finish in the "Completed in 2018" discussion? We're hoping to get 365 finishes this year.
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
GardenGal
#460 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 4:05:25 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

got it, missed that part!!   I do like it !!   The sashing makes it a bit earhier and less 'hot' ( to me ).

Nancy, I am expecting 2 finishes in January and will post them for sure!!!  I'm going to be a sewing MACHINE in 2018.

gg

--
Brigit-Carol
#461 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 5:00:01 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

GG -- I am having a hard time deciding between your setting with the triple sashing and the one I just posted.  Although if I use yours I'd go with the parallelogram border as I refuse to make any more FGs.  I would also use both the brown and green (aqua) FGs as I already have them mated.  I guess at this point I just need to get off the computer and back to the sewing machine! 

uspslady
#462 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:26:58 AM(UTC)
uspslady

Sorry I have no where to hang this up so you can actually see it in its entirety, but here is my rendition of "On Ringo Lake".  I gave up after 36 blocks when I ran out of the aqua and brown fabrics for the 2nd time.  I used up my leftover flying geese and some of the 9 patches in the sashing and borders.  Didn't have enough dark brown the sash around the outside, but it is what it is and at least it is a finished top.  I think I'm going to attempt to get the Mystery Flash and this one quilted before I start my class on "Glacier Star" by Judy Neumeyer the end of this month.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed