Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1920212223>»
stitchintime
#421 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 6:11:07 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

I'm with Wendy, love the first one!

Barb
NanaTubby
#422 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 6:13:18 PM(UTC)
NanaTubby

Yes, first one. The pattern stands out better.
Happy Quilting.

Missie
"To quilt is human - to finish divine."
empeywl
#423 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 6:13:46 PM(UTC)
empeywl

Location: at the foot of the rocky mountains along the Wasatch front range

Steps 1,2,and 3 complete. Moving on to step 4 now

Wendy Empey
JudyT
#424 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 6:21:55 PM(UTC)
JudyT

Wendy, your fabrics are gorgeous!

Here is what my actual blocks would look like with the pieced sashing. I am of such two minds. Too busy but I rather like the pattern. I'll cut some strips of gray and see how I like it. 

Judy in the Pacific Northwest
GloBug
#425 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 8:23:15 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Judy, I'm also liking the first layout as well.  It's very striking and pops.

JudyT
#426 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 8:27:13 PM(UTC)
JudyT

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the gray sashing and put the pieced blocks in the border. I decreased the sashing strips to finished 1/2" wide. I've never been a fan of wide sashing.

Still playing with it.

Chelle
#427 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 8:33:01 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I know Im late but I like the first one Judy :)  For me personally it's just easier on my eyes.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
quiltertess
#428 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 9:27:25 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

I agree with Chelle.  The first layout is much easier on the eyes and I love the ribbon border.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
Nancy_MN
#429 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 10:31:18 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I will say that with the pieced sashing, the quilt screams "Bonnie Hunter!" It's the first of her mysteries that I've done, so I should stick to her design, but I do like that Judy's plain sashing gives the eye a place to rest.

Judy, I haven't counted the pieces on your EQ drawing... do we currently have enough of the units to make the ribbon border, or do we have to make more?
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Agnes
#430 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 9:28:16 AM(UTC)
Agnes

Judy, #1. As already pointed out the eyes get to rest. That's a much less dense ribbon border than I have ever made. I like it very much.

Though the BH mystery has been a follow along here for a long time this was the first year I actually followed the activity.

Wendy, thank you for the name of the block. Most blocks get variations over time. Sometimes the name changes, sometimes it doesn't.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
Fabriholic
#431 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:38:49 PM(UTC)
Fabriholic

I have my 50 9 patches complete. Have cut bunches of 2 inch background strips. Cut my coral 2 inch strips and 3.5 inch strips.(since they were out). Starting step 2.
Sheila
Today is a new day!
GloBug
#432 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:01:45 AM(UTC)
GloBug

Sheila, good to hear you moving along on Bonnie's latest MQ clue!!   

Keep in mind you still need to finish my Grand Illusion, lol!!  (just kidding of course...but OH!, how I love to kid you!!)

Agnes
#433 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:47:25 AM(UTC)
Agnes

Thankfully I hadn't cut anything yet so I don't need to do damage control. I will not be making On Ringo Lake. Sanity prevailed and after reorganizing and cleaning up my sewing areas I have decided the 4 tops I have to quilt are going to be priority.

I'm poking at the size conversion for the design. I will concentrate on the block to start with. 

cv quilter
#434 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:19:16 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Agnes, I think I have decided the same thing.  I went in to town today with Fred and I looked at some fabrics...thinking of more Aqua,Coral,Brown for On Ringo Lake since I only have the F/Qs I purchased.  As I stood there I was thinking about how much more I would need of each and also thinking about the fact that I (my eye) still am not near ready to begin this journey.  Don't know when I will be.  I still would love to see your math and possibly in time be able to work on a larger version of the block.  I think maybe my cabilities are just not up to BH designs.  Still watching.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Brigit-Carol
#435 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:44:14 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

I am enjoying seeing people's blocks and different arrangements/colourways.  

I will be finishing this, but probably will use a single colour sashing in green (aqua).  I want to tone down the coral.  I've decided this is the last BH mystery I do where she uses 3-1/2" components.  I really enjoyed last year's using 4-1/2" even though the pattern was more difficult than this year (those darn tri-recs).  This year not so much. I don't like dealing with tiny pieces. 

GardenGal
#436 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:22:36 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Still sewing daily on my version of this mystery.  Soo many little pieces all over my sewing room. Tis driving MAD. 

gg

--
Brigit-Carol
#437 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:41:55 PM(UTC)
Brigit-Carol

Two different people on the Facebook page posted their design using no sashing at all between the blocks and various border designs with the parallelogram blocks.  All I can say is "wow!".  The aqua (green for me) is much more pronouced without the sashing and a secondary pattern emerges. Both are on point settings.  I really need to get my blocks done and play with arrangement, but right now I'm leaning towards no sashing and a larger border.  

Here is one:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2021779167832307&set=gm.1026951314120836&type=3&theater&ifg=1

And the other: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1521134254673208&set=gm.1026742160808418&type=3&theater&ifg=1

JudyT
#438 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:28:12 PM(UTC)
JudyT

Brigit-Carol. I was also thinking about no sashing. I put one corner together with narrow sashing but not sure I like the look. My blocks are so scrappy that I'm afraid the pattern is just mushy if I leave out the sashing. I'm gonna have to decide. Pictures below of both looks. Whatever I do, I'll use those scrappy sashings we made in step 3 floating in the outer border.

JudyT
#439 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:44:25 PM(UTC)
JudyT

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post
Agnes, I think I have decided the same thing.  I went in to town today with Fred and I looked at some fabrics...thinking of more Aqua,Coral,Brown for On Ringo Lake since I only have the F/Qs I purchased.  As I stood there I was thinking about how much more I would need of each and also thinking about the fact that I (my eye) still am not near ready to begin this journey.  Don't know when I will be.  I still would love to see your math and possibly in time be able to work on a larger version of the block.  I think maybe my cabilities are just not up to BH designs.  Still watching.

Sharon, I'm actually a bit sorry I'm taking this journey but do want to finish it. I really love the non scrappy versions I've been seeing. But there was no way I was going to buy fabric. I managed to use everything out of my scrappy bins. We have a new dog, bet he'll love it no matter how it turns out!  Both dogs usually find a quilt to curl up on.

Agnes
#440 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 9:19:10 AM(UTC)
Agnes

Judy--With the total scrappy I'm not sure about the really light sashing. Have you tried a green/aqua or something of a different color that blends for the sashing where you have the light in place? I find the neutral stops my eye completely when I would like it to just rest there for a moment. The cornerstones are a great idea. It's your quilt so do what works for you.

I had slung a yard of fabric, opened up, over my big ironing board while it was standing on end. This has been a thorn in my side since I got it from online ordering and it is too short to cover the board. Walking up to it I thought I could actually use it for piecing the enlarged ORL block I am working on. I am ready to start piecing so the next color decision can talk to me. My sewing room is totally cleaned up so I have a clear mind to do so. 

cv quilter
#441 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 10:25:50 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Judy, your blocks are beautiful!  It's amazing that you are working with your stash and coming up with such a pleasant blend of colors and fabrics. 

I'm going to begin the journey of using up my stash, and completing UFOs and kits that need to be brought out and made.  I have a wonderful Thimbleberries BOM (12 blocks with all the fabrics for each month) that I have had since 1998 and never even started.  That is going to be a priority for me.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Rss Feed  Atom Feed