Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages123>»
katiebock
#1 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 8:22:13 AM(UTC)
katiebock

Hi Ladies, Welcome to the Crazy Quilt Along.This is the Special/Secret Project I have been working on which will officially start on September 1,2017. The blocks are all my own designs and it will be approx. a year long project or more to complete the whole wallhanging.You can also choose to just make one block and turn it into a pillow or a small individual wallhanging to hang in your sewing studio,it is all up to you. There are (5) Full 12'' Hexagon blocks with about 6 or 7 patches in each block and (2) Half Hexi's. The finished wallhanging with borders measures approx. 34'' x 24 3/4''. I will be showing you step by step instructions on how to put each one of the blocks together along with having some of my own designs of seam treatments you can use on the blocks as well. I will also post links for supplies,inspiration and so much more.

Requirements:

All Skill Levels are welcome to participate in this quilt along.

If you are interested please sign up below and then send me a pm with your email address that you would like the block instructions and pattern files sent to.Then beginning on September 1,2017 I will send you the pattern and instructions on how to make ''Block # 1''.

Fabric choices: Please post a picture of your fabrics that you will be using in your blocks.You will need approx 1/2 - 3/4 yard of several different fabrics and an additional 3/4 yard for the borders and binding. ( You can use small and medium size prints,solids,etc.)

Bonus: G.G. and Jann have agreed to do a write up of the group QATW in the upcoming Summer/Fall 2018 Issue of Our Quilting Journey Magazine where I will be talking about the Crazy Quilt Along. Those that finish blocks or have blocks that are works in progress and would like to be included in that special section of the issue can send their photos to ourquiltingjourneymagazine@gmail.com or katiebock242@gmail.com

Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

Click here to see an excellent article on what is a crazy quilt and the history of victorian cray quilt-making (jcorsbie)

Note:  Click

Chelle
#2 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 8:28:49 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Sign me up, looking forward to learning some new skills :)

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
patti.cockfield
#3 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 8:40:17 AM(UTC)
patti.cockfield

I have long admired these kind of quilts.  Count me in!

marigold
#4 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 8:56:22 AM(UTC)
marigold

I'm in, too!

I'm not very informed about PMs, but you might get 2 identical ones from me...when your private mailbox has space for it to be delivered. At least I assume it's in line.

mari

Life is short ... buy the fabric!
Agnes
#5 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 9:00:52 AM(UTC)
Agnes

I'll sign up as well. 

Edit:

Katie--I tried to PM you my email. Please empty your mailbox.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
firesidequilter
#6 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 9:08:20 AM(UTC)
firesidequilter

Location: where mother nature turned her head on the Mississippi River

Can you provide more information about fabric needed...

How many 1/2 -3/4 yard pieces...or is it enough fabrics to equal up to 3/4 yard to be used??

should we plan on "each " hexie to be its own "theme" so ...can I do 30's in one hexie & KT in one & batik in another?  Trying to decide if I have fabric before I commit.

THANKS Katie...it is intriging me

I am a creative mess....
Mimi
#7 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 10:03:05 AM(UTC)
Mimi

I'm not quite ready to plunge into this but would love more details on the fabric choices.  There's still too much unknown to make a commitment.  But I'm interested...

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
Teatime
#8 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 11:05:24 AM(UTC)
Teatime

Hi Katie, Thank you so much for leading us on this journey. I am looking forward to learning a new skill (over a year too- that’s my kind of time-frame ) Do you think Christmas fabric or batik would work well? PM on its way! Marian

Marian
stitchintime
#9 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 11:15:01 AM(UTC)
stitchintime

I'm all for giving this a try.  And I agree with Marian, seems like a good time frame.

Barb... The Lion does not turn around when a small dog barks
jcorsbie
#10 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 11:22:47 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Sign-me up, please.  I have some beautiful silk from Honk Kong and Bangkok and cottons from Malayasia I want to use.  It has been sitting in my basket for a long, long time waiting for a special project and I think it is this project.  Thanks for leading us on this wonderful journey.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
patti.cockfield
#11 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 11:34:26 AM(UTC)
patti.cockfield

Katie, your message box is full. 

MargeP
#12 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 11:38:08 AM(UTC)
MargeP

Oh, what the heck!  What is one more project to be working on?  Please sign me up.  Crazy quilts have always intrigued me.  Thanks, Katie.

MargeP
Threadbare
#13 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 11:59:25 AM(UTC)
Threadbare

Sign me up.  I will pm you later when you empty your box.

FLORENCE
Nancy_MN
#14 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 12:24:44 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Hi Katie! Please sign me up. I'll try to keep up the best I can. I think we need to ask GG to increase your mailbox size now that you are hosting an event.

Instead of a message, I'll post my coded email here to fool robo-snoops or whatever they call those email snatchers...

nancywest(dot)evans(at)gmail(dot)com

Does that make sense?
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
GloBug
#15 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 12:38:28 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Hi Katie.  I'm up for a new challange in my quilting world, so please sign me up.

Once you have an expanded IN box here, I'll send you a PM.

Otherwise, my email address is:  egbok77(at)aol(dot)com

Thanks!

Gloria

GloBug - Glo - Gloria
JackieH
#16 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 12:46:37 PM(UTC)
JackieH

Humm...thinking   

I have a collection of items I have been saving to make a low-volume crazy memory quilt. My wedding dress, kids blessing, baptism clothes and baby clothes, some hankies and doilies from my grandmother, and other various trims, lace, buttons etc that I saved from some of the kids clothes.

I wonder if I could incorporated these into this project  

I'll be watching to see more details to see if it's time to start my memory quilt or come up with some other wonderful crazy quilt theme.

Jacy
katiebock
#17 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 2:24:59 PM(UTC)
katiebock

Originally Posted by: firesidequilter Go to Quoted Post

Can you provide more information about fabric needed...

How many 1/2 -3/4 yard pieces...or is it enough fabrics to equal up to 3/4 yard to be used??

should we plan on "each " hexie to be its own "theme" so ...can I do 30's in one hexie & KT in one & batik in another?  Trying to decide if I have fabric before I commit.

THANKS Katie...it is intriging me

Hi Donna, You will need approx 1/2 to 3/4 yard each of several different fabrics plus 3/4 yard of border and binding fabric.I used 4 different fabrics for the first block that has 7 different patches in it.All the blocks could have a theme if you would like for example mine is going to be the Night Before Christmas and all the fabrics that I'm using in my blocks will be in different shades of blue to make it look like it's a nightime/outdoor theme.

You can also do the blocks in different shades of one color such as a cream or off white fabric and do the embroidery and seam treatments in various colors such as yellows,purples greens,etc.Hope this information helps.If you have any more questions feel free to ask.Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

katiebock
#18 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 2:44:08 PM(UTC)
katiebock

Originally Posted by: Mimi Go to Quoted Post

I'm not quite ready to plunge into this but would love more details on the fabric choices.  There's still too much unknown to make a commitment.  But I'm interested...

Hi Mimi,  Below is an example of a few of the fabric choices that I used in another block for one of Kathy Shaw's classes that I took earlier this year to give you an idea on fabric selection. I also included websites for color palette ideas.

http://colorpalettes.net/

https://www.design-seeds.com/

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

katiebock
#19 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 2:46:38 PM(UTC)
katiebock

Originally Posted by: Chelle Go to Quoted Post

Sign me up, looking forward to learning some new skills :)

Hi Chelle, I have you all signed up for the Quilt Along. Looking forward to seeing your fabrics that you be using for this project.Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

katiebock
#20 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 2:51:59 PM(UTC)
katiebock

Originally Posted by: patti.cockfield Go to Quoted Post

I have long admired these kind of quilts.  Count me in!

Hi Patti, I have you all signed up.Looking forward to seeing your fabric selection.Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

katiebock
#21 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 2:53:07 PM(UTC)
katiebock

Originally Posted by: marigold Go to Quoted Post

I'm in, too!

I'm not very informed about PMs, but you might get 2 identical ones from me...when your private mailbox has space for it to be delivered. At least I assume it's in line.

mari

Hi Mari, I have added your name to the list of participants for the Crazy Quilt Along.Looking forward to seeing your fabric selection.Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

Rss Feed  Atom Feed