Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Quiltbaby
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:52:59 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I was curious to know, if you had to pick just one of the Quilts you created as your favorite , which one would it be?

Please tell us about it and a picture would be awesome. Maybe a short story about your creation. thinking
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
dogsbody
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:06:26 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

I'll have to figure out how to post pics here first.

cv quilter
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 8:21:14 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Well, I am having a hard time posting what my favorite quilt ever done is.  I will try but it will take time to think.  I will say that my favorite SWAP quilt is by far the California Dreaming (bento box) done here on QATW.  I loved this quilt..(did not find it the easiest to do) but the colors, fabrics, swap itself, called to me.  I have posted pics of this quilt and REALLY wanted this for ME, and ended up giving it as a wedding gift for my granddaughter and her new husband as a wedding gift.  Unbeknownest to me at the time, It was where this quilt belonged because they love it.  Gonna have to go back through my memory (which is not all that good these days) and pics of quilts made to see if another one comes to the top of list.

Sharon
stitchintime
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:47:30 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Dogsbody, you can find instructions for posting pictures here

Originally Posted by: dogsbody Go to Quoted Post

I'll have to figure out how to post pics here first.

Barb... The Lion does not turn around when a small dog barks
Agnes
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:52:29 PM(UTC)
Agnes

I'll take time in the morning to write my story and post my photo.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
cv quilter
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 7:58:59 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I have been thinking about this.  I think I HAVE to say that my favorite quilt creation is my very first quilt.  It was a Quilt in a Day Log Cabin.  A friend of mine had just gotten into quilting and told me about these quilts.  I bought a book and proceeded to by all the fabrics I needed.  I went to Walmart...and bought the fabrics.  I had no clue how to pick out fabrics..  My fabrics were NOT so pretty (they were all I could afford) but I made this top in one day, just as promised by the pattern.  I used thick polyester batting because I wanted to make it comfy.  I didn't know how to "quilt" so I tied it.  I had a time deciding how to lay out my blocks..so many options with a Log Cabin.  I LOVE this quilt!  Fred made me feel like it was the most special and beautiful quilt!  I guess this is why, of all the quilt patterns  I have made, the Log Cabin will always be my favorite, and this quilt will always be my favorite and special.

Sharon
Quiltbaby
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 8:27:49 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

OH CV, see that's what I wanted to hear and see! Thanks for that story. You actually did a great job for your first quilt! I'm impressed. Log Cabin quilts are very special. Warm and comfy. Thank you for sharing.

Candis
Quiltbaby
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 8:29:10 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

That makes me want to know, what were others first quilt they ever made?

Candis
Agnes
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 9:56:44 PM(UTC)
Agnes

I learned a very valuable lesson with the first quilting project I tackled. I lived in a world of matching. It was a set of four Chevron placemats and a tablerunner for myself. I used them for quite a few years. The fabrics matched so well that it was the most boring project ever. I eventually used them as a teaching aid to not be hung up on matching perfectly with the mantra, matchy matchy is boring, boring. I have since made only one quilt with all fabrics from the same line and that was too boring for my taste. I now try to include a fabric or two in my mix that I refer to as the "disobedient" child and generally that is the fabric that gives it a bit of punch. 

Quiltbaby
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 10:10:26 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

That is a great lesson for me Agnes. Thank you.

Candis
Agnes
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 10:21:31 PM(UTC)
Agnes

My favorite quilt is "Jacob's Toys." I made it with the thought that I would enter it in the local fair for provincial competition. I had previously had a quilt that made it to provincial and used critques from that this time around. They were looking for originality, hand quilting and minimum of 60 x 80". I designed starting with the fan blocks, added one star for the center and used the ladder block or road block. I was short of a block to tie the fans together around the star block and designed a block that I called Arrowhead trying to achieve a flow between it and the fan block. I used a variety of yellow and blue fabrics. The only fabric I purchased specifically was the backing. I pieced it in a couple of weeks time during a heat wave and the air conditioned house was the place to be. By the time I finished the hand quilting I had aggravated my hand tendons so badly that I endured a lot of pain and therapy over the next few years. I was pleased to see it move on to the final competition. My delight was when I was announced as the third place winner. My biggest downfall was one they didn't have to mention. My stitches were not even and the hand stitching of the binding was sloppy. For several years I did not hand stitch bindings at all and avoided general hand stitching of any kind. To this day I have not hand quilted again and rarely do any hand stitching that will offer any resistance. I paid the price with that quilt. That third to me was like a perfect score and 100%. My glory was that originality, use of fabric mix and all facets of the design process were issued a perfect score. I will not part with the quilt and it is now my top quilt on my twin sized bed. Fifteen years later it still gives me more fond memory than many other quilts rolled together do.

cv quilter
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 10:31:49 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Agnes, beautiful!

Sharon
mimi2jefftye
#13 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:44:43 AM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

This is one of my favorite quilts.  As you can see it earned a 1st place ribbon at the Kiamichi Quilt Guild Show in Mcalester, OK.  This quilt was the first time I attempted fabric origami and the first time I quilted an actual design other than a simple meander.  It still is displayed in my home.  Although I have to sew new buttons on the flowers.  (Sandy thought they looked good enough to eat and chewed off five of them.  LOL

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
Quiltbaby
#14 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:50:34 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Agnes, that is so original and a beautiful piece. You should be proud, I love the story and you so deserved that win. Big kudos to you. Thank you for sharing your picture and your wonderful story with us .

Candis
Quiltbaby
#15 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:53:15 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Sally, my gosh! So beautiful. I wish I could see that one close up. I have never seen origami in fabric . I've seen pictures. I love it so much. Thank you for sharing this with us. Oh. Congrats!

Candis
cv quilter
#16 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 9:06:40 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Sally, Wow!  I have never seen fabric origami.  I think this quilt is stunning, and see why it won 1st place.  Love the colors in it.  I'll have to look up how to do Folded Flowers.   Sew beautiful.

Sharon
Nana bear
#17 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 9:29:40 AM(UTC)
Nana bear

Absolutely stunning  Sally

Quilting and quilt retreats makes me happy!
Nana bear
#18 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 9:35:55 AM(UTC)
Nana bear

As most people know I am a sucker for Kansas Troubles  fabric..... So I think my favorite one is the quilt I made for DH to use on the sofa at night in the winter.

Deb

Quilting and quilt retreats makes me happy!
cv quilter
#19 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:04:01 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Deb, that is such a pretty and cozy looking quilt.  I really do like those Kansas Troubles fabrics.  

Sharon
Chelle
#20 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:45:45 AM(UTC)
Chelle

this is my favorite.  The applique and quilting was done by hand.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
Dorian
#21 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:19:17 PM(UTC)
Dorian

What  afun thread Candis!

Sharon, what a great first quilt!! And I love the story that went along with it.

What a pretty, unique quilt Agnes! Congrats on the third place, you deserved it.

Thats a neat quilt Sally, I've never seen the origami close up. Those flowers are really cute.

What a comfy looking quilt Deb!

Oh Chelle, that is really lovely!!

I will have to go thru my blog and get some pictures of mine.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
Rss Feed  Atom Feed