Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
cv quilter
#1 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 3:24:22 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I remember a while back there was a discussion on bloc lock rulers.  I seem to recall that if I purchase a 6 1/2 inch half square triangle ruler, I can trim all the way down to 1 inch, making it unnecessary to purchase the smaller sizes.  Is that correct?  Also, on the flying geese one, what would be the most popular of the sizes?  I'm not sure what the discussion was.  I cannot buy a whole set, and thinking that the half square triangle and the flying geese would be my best bet.  Any suggestions, please?

Sharon
stitchintime
#2 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 4:45:24 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

I have the 6-1/2" HST ruler, Sharon, and use it for all the smaller sizes as well (tho' I've never gone as small as 1").  It is a good versatile size.  Haven't tried the flying geese ones yet so will leave that size discussion to others.

Barb... The Lion does not turn around when a small dog barks
cv quilter
#3 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 5:29:47 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Barb.  I have that one in my cart with Bloc Loc and am going to order that for sure.  I just finished trimming the 96 hst blocks for the MQ.  Yikes, what a task :)

Sharon
Quiltbaby
#4 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 7:12:00 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Heh CV also get a May that spins if u don't already have one . Makes it fast and so easy.
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
cv quilter
#5 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 8:45:14 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: Quiltbaby Go to Quoted Post
Heh CV also get a May that spins if u don't already have one . Makes it fast and so easy.
QB, Do you mean a rotating cutting board?  Sorry, not sure what you mean.  I am kind of a newbie to some of this. 

Sharon
Nancy_MN
#6 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 9:08:30 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Yes, rotating cutting mat, and yes, one 6 1/2" BlocLoc works for all smaller sizes.

I prefer Deb Tucker's Wing Trimmer for flying geese.  BlocLoc makes you buy a different ruler for each size of unit.  One Wing Trimmer works for multiple sizes.  I do see they have two different Wing Trimmers now to cover lots of sizes of geese.

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
cv quilter
#7 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 9:19:34 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Great, I have a rotating cutting mat...used it today to trim my HSTs.  Nancy, thanks, I'll take a look at the Wing Trimmer.  I really don't want to purchase a different ruler for each size, and If I can buy one for several, that's what I think will work for me.

Sharon
Quiltbaby
#8 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 10:18:52 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Sorry CV oU was on my phone, and didn't have glasses on!😁
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Murffja
#9 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 11:42:59 PM(UTC)
Murffja

I bought my bloc loc 's in a set.  I use them all the time and it was well worth the investment  I have used the tucker trimer too but prefer bloc loc.  they dont slid around once they are anchored on the seam.  When I can't place my hands on them quickly or forget to take I use the small creative grids square since they have the nice stuff on them that helps them stay in place.  I did get a flying geese set but haven't used them much yet.  There are some nice lines on the creative grids 6.5 x 12.5 inch ruler that I have used to trim up flying geese too.

Jessica
Nana bear
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 6:58:52 AM(UTC)
Nana bear

Connecting Threads has a Loc Bloc HST set on sale (2.5, 4.5, & 6.5 Inches) for $50.00USD. Yeaterday I took the plunge and ordered that. I have the Deb Tucker Wing ruler for Flying geese and LOVE it!

Deb

Deb
Quilting and quilt retreats makes me happy!
LauraB
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 8:01:50 AM(UTC)
LauraB

I am in total agreement with Murf on the flying geese rulers. I have both the wing trimmer and the bloc-loc. I prefer the bloc-loc as they do not slip once locked on.
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
Mimi
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 8:47:35 AM(UTC)
Mimi

I don't know how I pieced before I found the Bloc-Loc rulers.  I have them for HST's and flying geese. And the specialty ones that are small for the Jo Morton miniatures I've made.   

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
cv quilter
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 9:08:50 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: Quiltbaby Go to Quoted Post
Sorry CV oU was on my phone, and didn't have glasses on!😁
  You should see some of the stuff I type on my phone with no glasses.  No problem

Sharon
cv quilter
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 9:21:29 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Deb, I just looked at that set you posted about.  But connecting thread doesn't seem to carry the flying geese ones or the deb tucker one.  I think I want to buy from the same place so I pay only one shipping.  Still looking but thanks for all the info.  Sounds like the Bloc Loc ones are easier to use since they don't slide.

Sharon
mimi2jefftye
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 1:12:11 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

For those who do not want to dive in and purchase a rotating mat, I have a suggestion.  Before I had a rotating mat gifted to me I used to have a small (8x10) mat that I used on top of my other mat with a piece of wax paper between them.  Then I could just rotate the small mat and not have to worry about my cutter possibly going off the smaller mat and doing damage to my table.  Worked great!!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
stitchintime
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 1:24:42 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

That is a great idea, Sally.  Love little tricks and tips like that.

cv quilter
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 1:42:03 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Sally.  That's a great tip.  My rotating mat is kind of heavy and it might be easier to carry just two small mats and a couple sheets of wax paper to a retreat...less weight??

Sharon
cv quilter
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 2:14:02 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Looking again at Bloc Loc...at the flying geese ones...they say the 2 x 4 and the 3 x 6 are the most popular.  What size do you use most, if you have them?

Sharon
cv quilter
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 6:22:20 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Just ordered the HST 6 1/2 inch from Bloc Loc and the Deb Tucker flying geese rulers (I and II)  thru Amazon; figured I could do 10 sizes with I and 9 with II).  Don't know if I'll ever need them all, but I'll have them.  No shipping on the Amazon ones and not much shipping on the Bloc Loc one.  Figure (hopefully) I'll have what I need in the future.  HA!!  There will always be something new and improved coming along.

Sharon
stitchintime
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 6:41:42 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

So true, Sharon.  I got one of the 2" x 6" creative grid rulers and I like it so much, I keep toying with the idea of ordering the larger ones to replace my other rulers. 

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

HA!!  There will always be something new and improved coming along.

Nancy_MN
#21 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 8:45:31 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

That's my plan, Barb, as my rulers wear out (and they do!).  I want all Creative Grids.

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Rss Feed  Atom Feed