Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 3:57:35 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Do you have chickens?  

Would you like a place to share stories, pictures, questions and such? 

Well this is the place!!!

--
GardenGal
#2 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 4:39:15 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Here are my 8 girls... if they are all girls...   LOL  Three of them should start laying early next month.  I'm so excited and look forward to gathering and sharing Fresh eggs with my family.

-

Last week at the retreat in PA I found out at least 3 of us had chickens..   I know JackieH and LauraB do as well.  Gail used to but with her move to Mexico she had to find them a home.   Who else has chickens or pets with benefits ??

--
Nancy_MN
#3 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 4:45:25 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I have chicken in the freezer. Does that count? LOL

Seriously, I envy the fresh eggs you must all be enjoying (or will be enjoying, in GG's case).

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Bonita
#4 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 7:01:42 PM(UTC)
Bonita

No chickens allowed in the apt complex. Would be fun to have some though. GG, I love the silvery looking ones. So pretty.

Bonita
Brenda
#5 Posted: : Friday, August 26, 2016 7:19:54 PM(UTC)
Brenda

I do not currently have any chickens I have had them for many years.  I want to get some but hubby just will not go for it.  I know he is right they do require baby sitting when you are gone for a while.

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

GardenGal
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2016 1:32:54 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Thanks Bonita.  I think they are called Lavender Orpingtons.    One of my favorite ones is "Bella" and she eats out of my hand while sitting on my lap.   She often jumps on my lap to see what goodies I might have.  ( oats, mealy worms or cherry tomatoes)    As she grew she started looking more and more like a rooster...   She's soo pretty.. even if she is a rooster.  LOL    I guess if she ends up being " Bela " I will have to find her a home.   We don't want chicks, just the eggs.  

The smaller one is "BoPeep" because she had lost something when I got her.   She didn't have any tail feathers.  LOL    But they have been growing in just fine once she got here and wasn't over crowded..

I love each of them and see how they each have a slightly different personality.  They get out of the run every afternoon for 30-60 minutes

--
Nancy_MN
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2016 7:10:05 AM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

GG, isn't a capon a castrated rooster? Couldn't you have Bela fixed, if it comes to that?
Leslie
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2016 3:48:22 PM(UTC)
Leslie

GG, you can still have a rooster, just don't let the hens sit on the nest, you have to gather your eggs, everyday.  If you are going to let them free range your Rooster, alerts the hens of danger.

Leslie
Topsy
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:11:41 PM(UTC)
Topsy

GG you have 7 hens and a rooster.  The silver-white one on the left is a beautiful rooster.  Your girls should be happy with a fellow so handsome.  

We bought 6 baby black sex link chicks this spring and then a neighbor brought me 2 more(he thought).  As soon as I took them from the box, I knew one was a rooster.  SO cute.  Upon explaning he had brought 1 female and 1 male, he said "I don't think so".  As it turned out, I was right.  I have the most beautiful Sussex rooster I ever have seen.  He takes care of his hens in the yard and shares his evening insects. We let them roam each evening from 6 until they go back to the coup for the night. 

GardenGal
#10 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:45:42 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

I had a feeling Topsy!!   That's my Bella ( now Bela ? )  and I love him.   Hoping he doesn't get mean...   he still allows me to touch him and jumps in my lap if I have a handful of oats.  LOL

We let the kids out about that time but I stay out with them...   we've watched a Great Horned owl hunt our property too many times to trust them to be safe... plus we've seen 2 different fox, a bob cat, a cayote and racoons.  ugh

I am slowly letting Sunshine be around them.    She doesn't care about them in the slightest but she does love me and is jealous ...   so she tries to get next to me and they freak out a bit..   I know with time, they will all be just fine...   Now with Coop, my other dog... he's just too much  of a puppy.  LOL

What do you girls have that live around your chickens ?

--
Nancy_MN
#11 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 11:15:39 AM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Just curious, Topsy... How could you tell that from a photo?  Is it the longer tail feathers?  

Leslie
#12 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 5:39:32 PM(UTC)
Leslie

GG,  I let my chickens out to roam every morning at 7am, they go back in on their own around 7pm, so far I have not had a problem with any other critters, I do know when the Rooster starts making a racket i will see them all run to get under a bush, so I figure a hawk is flying around.

Leslie
GardenGal
#13 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:11:24 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Originally Posted by: Nancy_MN Go to Quoted Post

Just curious, Topsy... How could you tell that from a photo?  Is it the longer tail feathers?  

From what I've read, the tail feathers of a male are typically more narrow and curved where the females have thicker feathers and straight.

--
GardenGal
#14 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:15:27 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Les... I'm such a chicken.   Afraid to let them out without me being outside with them.     Maybe with a little more time, I'll be ready to let them be alone..    maybe. 

gg

--
Leslie
#15 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:23:59 PM(UTC)
Leslie

It took me awhile also

Leslie
GardenGal
#16 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 8:51:42 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

ok, now the feathery kids are going out more and more... 5 hours one day and yesterday about 8 hours.   Today is nice and cool so I let them out very early.   Hubby says they SEEM so happy.  LOL

I know this is dangerous.. but this way they are enjoying LIFE more than staying in the run.  It's big but I'm sure by now, boring.

gg

--
JackieH
#17 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 10:01:23 AM(UTC)
JackieH

Originally Posted by: Nancy_MN Go to Quoted Post

Longer tail feathers, bigger comb, thicker beefier legs.

Jacy
Naida
#18 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 5:49:19 PM(UTC)
Naida

My daughter and son-in-law have a doz. or so chickens and a rooster....best free range eggs ever. I get some for a friend whenever I can.

To quilt or not to quilt
cv quilter
#19 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 6:29:50 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

We raised chickens (and roosters) off and on from 1979 through 1996.  We raised them for eggs and meat, and the hardest part was the butchering when it was time (though the meat was delicious, tender and chemical free).  The eggs were THE BEST!  We would get the chicks in early April (usually the first week) and I think I loved that so much!  Probably the most challenging of this time was that skunks or coyotes would eventually get some of our chickens. That was probably some of our fault, because we didn't keep a rooster after one of ours "Cassius Clay" attacked our daughter, claws out, because she was collecting eggs!!!  His name was appropos!!! But it was a lesson for us about the role of the rooster, and also about whether we wanted to have him around.  We learned to get the chickens in at night (they usually came in on their own) and the value of digging down and reinforcing with chicken wire to keep these predators out.  I do have happy memories of our days/years of raising chickens.  Some of the best eating we ever had (not to mention the fun!)  Now we get our fresh eggs from our son and DIL.  Prettiest yellow yolks you ever saw :)

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
GardenGal
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 7:19:53 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Bela is such a large boy already... He wouldn't fit in the pet carrier that used to pick up 4 chickens in..  I hope he doesn't turn mean but am ready to let him go if he does...

Cooper and Daisy my two dogs have now spent lots of time outside while the chickens were lose.. to the best of my knowledge they've not been interested...  last night it was hard getting them back into the coop.    So today we aren't letting them out as early... hoping they can stay until it's closer to bed time.  

Also, free range - how do you find the eggs ?   LOL   I cant see them running back to the coop just to lay an egg... right now they hang out under a huge set of bushes...  and i don't want to look for eggs there nor do I want little chicks coming  out of them either.  LOL   We're going to plant some bushes closer to the coop/run so they aren't so far from shelter.

gg

--
cv quilter
#21 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 8:33:39 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: GardenGal Go to Quoted Post

Also, free range - how do you find the eggs ?   LOL   I cant see them running back to the coop just to lay an egg... right now they hang out under a huge set of bushes...  and i don't want to look for eggs there nor do I want little chicks coming  out of them either.  LOL   We're going to plant some bushes closer to the coop/run so they aren't so far from shelter.

This reminds me of the time we had chickens while living in Phoenix.  We lived right next to a wash.  We had noticed that we weren't getting as many eggs as we used to.  One day after some heavy rain, the wash filled with water and our son walked down to it and was exploring.  He came back with several eggs, and told us he was finding them under the bushes along the wash.  Not knowing how old they were we had to throw them out.  We had to put some fencing up to keep them closer to home.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Rss Feed  Atom Feed