Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 8:26:39 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

Some of our members came to QATW with experience with wool and have a lot of knowledge to share.  Others recently picked up wool and started creating wonderful blocks.  There are also members that have yet to attempt / try wool work.  

For several months, there have been good questions posted and have gotten some really good answers but they have gotten lost in long threads.   This thread/post is just to hold any questions you might have on wool.   It's not for sharing photos or updates but just for SHEEPISH wooly boogers to find out information.   

If you have a question, PLEASE post it!  Some sweet & fuzzy quilter will try to help! 

--
Nancy_MN
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 12:57:35 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

There seems to be many options for thread to use with wool applique.  What do the experienced woolie boogers like to work with best?  I have LOTS of DMC embroidery floss that comes as 6-strands.  Can I use that, or would it be better to invest in something new? 

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Leslie
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 1:45:08 PM(UTC)
Leslie

Nancy, that's what i use

Leslie
Mimi
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 2:25:31 PM(UTC)
Mimi

I use Valdani threads.  Others use DMC.  I don't think it matters.  It's all up to what YOU want for your finished product.  

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
mimi2jefftye
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 2:30:20 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

When buying wool, how do I know I am not getting "Wool Hand Flannel"?  I saw some wool and was ready to buy when I read the description and it said it was wool hand flannel.  Is there a way to tell between the two?

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
Nancy_MN
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 4:28:53 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Originally Posted by: Leslie Go to Quoted Post

Nancy, that's what i use

Two strands, Leslie?

stitchintime
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 4:35:18 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Nancy, I use two threads and I believe GG said she uses three.  Up to you and the look you want. 

Barb... The Lion does not turn around when a small dog barks
LauraB
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 8:39:51 PM(UTC)
LauraB

I use as many threads as it takes, depending on the size of the piece. From one stranded to pearl cotton. I have lots of different brands of thread and use them all. Silks are my favorite.
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
Nancy_MN
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 9:50:10 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I imagine silk stitches disappear.  Isn't most wool applique done with the buttonhole stitch in a contrasting color, or not always?

JackieH
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 11:09:53 PM(UTC)
JackieH

I use DMC, usually 2 strands but if it's a teeny piece I would use just 1. I use matching or contrasting thread depending on the look I want. Generally buttonhole stitch but sometimes just an overcast stitch. I also have some Aurifil Lana wool thread that I like but I don't have it in as many shades as DMC.

Jacy
pbadder
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 11:20:46 PM(UTC)
pbadder

I am getting ready to do a wool candle mat kit that I purchased it basically calls for the overcast stitch. What is the buttonhole stitch? never heard of that one. I plan on using DMC threads as I have a whole box full. I just order some bundles os felt wool to have some for projects. The candle mat I plan on working is the one with chicks all around, everything is cut just to sew it on.

LauraB
#12 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 4:39:01 AM(UTC)
LauraB

Nancy you can use contrast or matching thread. Depends on the look you want. Most pieces I do, I match the thread as close as possible. Your needle book is done I believe with 1 strand of almost matching thread on the cover pieces and a pearl cotton around the pocket flap and needle cover.

Technically it is the blanket stitch we use when stitching down our pieces. However anything goes now days. I recently did a crazy patch pumpkin and used the fly stitch to stitch some of the edges down. I have also seen where they go around the pieces with them stem stitch. About 15 years ago took some classes on bead embroidery and in those classes we had a series using wool appliqué with beads. This is one piece (I haven't finished) she had us do with bead embroidery done as the edge treatment.
http://www.quiltingaroun...px?aid=777&pid=26859

Pbadder - Here is a tutorial on the blanket stitch

http://m.wikihow.com/Blanket-Stitch-an-Applique
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
LauraB
#13 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 6:09:16 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Sally I haven't every heard of Wool Hand Flannel.  If you are unsure of where to buy from I would buy from someplace the rest of us has tried.  I put a list of places at the bottom of this post. When I first started buying online, I searched for Hand Dyed, Wool Applique and/or Wool rug hooking and then just watched that I was buying 100% wool. 

Here is a post from Mimi - Erica's Craft and Sewing Center has 100% wool in lots of different sizes and colors if anyone out there is interested.  And they are very fast to ship.  I don't trust kits B/C you can't see if it's wool or wool felt. Attic Heirlooms only deals with all wool as does Primitive Gatherings but the candle mat kits are either too small or too large for this swap.

Some of my favorites are Primitive Gatherings, Winterberry Cabin, Blackberry Primitives (high price).  Two places I am going to try next are Heavens To Betsy and Dorr Mill Store, they appear to have a large selection and good price by the yard.  Another I have looked at and haven't tried is Bird Brain Designs.

I hope this helps you.  Maybe someone else knows about the Wool Hand Flannel

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
JackieH
#14 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 8:14:33 PM(UTC)
JackieH

Sally, I think THIS is what you are talking about, it is flannel, but fabric that looks similar to wool. I've never bought any but have seen some in the store. As far as I know it is 100% cotton.

Jacy
LauraB
#15 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 9:19:42 PM(UTC)
LauraB

I wondered if that wasn't what she was talking about too Jackie.  It is 100% cotton, just flannel.  They made it look like wool to keep your background costs down.

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
mimi2jefftye
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:03:22 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

That is exactly where I was looking when I found that term.  Thanks ladies.  I have looked at some of the sites you have suggested.  Thank you again!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
stitchintime
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:27:21 AM(UTC)
stitchintime

If you are looking for a good stitch guide, Windflower Embroidery has a free PDF that includes the common stitches plus some great variations.  I couldn't get the actual link to post properly but this link will bring up the search and the pdf is the first search result.  Go here

Barb... The Lion does not turn around when a small dog barks
Bonita
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:43:23 AM(UTC)
Bonita

Thanks Barb, there were some stitches there I'd never seen. I saved it. to many pages to print (24).

Bonita
GardenGal
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2015 8:00:39 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

As promised, here is the link to directions on using food coloring gels to dye wool.   I had amazing success with it.  :)

http://materialgirlsidaho.blogspot.com/2012/02/wool-dying-tutorial.html

--
Quiltbaby
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2015 8:53:26 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Great tutorial! Thanks. I love dying and over dying wool!
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Bonita
#21 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2015 9:12:58 PM(UTC)
Bonita

Thanks GG, this is just in time. On Fri I went up to a quilt shop in Boca Raton the city of the well to do...that's why I live in Pompano Beach....any way on the way back I found a Goodwill. I now know where to find a fair share of wool items of clothing. The well to do snowbirds bring their woolies down with them and then donate them before heading back up north. I was lucky enough to find 3 ankle length wool skirts 1 reg skirt and a lovely bright red sweater all of it felted up so nice. One of the long skirts was light gray and now ready for the dye pot.

Bonita
Rss Feed  Atom Feed