Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages123>»
jcorsbie
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:23:03 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

This has been a lot  chatter about doing something with machine embroidery and we have the go ahead to explore what we want to do for our first project.

So I have a list of questions below and ask just those that are wanting to do a project to answer these questions. 

• Name
  • Do you want to do a Quilt-Along or a Sampler-Type Block Swap? 
  • If we do a Quilt-Along, should everyone do the same project (we each would have to purchase the pattern) or would we each do our own thing and post our progress.
  • If we do a Sampler-Type Block Swap, should it be strictly an embroidered block or a machine appliqued block that uses machine embroidery to cover the raw edges and do embellishment
  • Do you want to do a quilt, a mini-quilt, a table topper or table runner?

If there is enough interested party, I wil tabulate the results and determine how and with what we proceed.  I am exicited -- hope you are too!

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
jcorsbie
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:24:02 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

No       SWAPPER QUIL-ALONG BLOCK SWAP EMBROIDER ONLY APPLIQUE & EMBROIDERY TYPE OF PROJECT
 01  jcorsbie/jann  No  Yes  No  Yes Quilt
 02  Quiltbaby  Yes  Yes  No  Yes  All
 03  NanaBear  Yes  No  No  Yes  All
 04  Regina  Yes  No  Yes  Yes  All
 05  ladysaint  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  All
 06  Kathryn  Yes   yes  Yes  Yes  All
 07  Brenda  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  All
 08  Tess  Yes  NA  NA  NA  NA
 09  DonnaB  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Smaller
 10  MelissaLH  Yes   Yes  Yes  Yes  All
 11  pbadder  Yes   No  Yes  No  Small
12 murffja  Yes  No  Yes  No  Small
 13  hairystitches  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  All
14  Mawlinda  Yes  Yes  Yes  No Small
TOTALS      

jann

Quiltbaby
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:49:08 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

JANN, I guess I am fickle, I will be semi new to Embroidery, I have done it but it was some time ago. Will this group be kind of like our Wooly Booger Group?
Right now we are just doing Quilt alongs, but hopefully we can advance to swaps someday.

If this group is like that, can't we do it all? Just inquiring. I love it all.
If not here are my answers,
quilt along- yes
Block swap- yes
Embroider only - no ,but if it was also with a pieced project then yes..
Applique and embroidery - yes.
Type of project- all of them
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
Nana bear
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:19:33 AM(UTC)
Nana bear

My thoughts: I am also semi new to machine embroidery and want to improve my skills.

quilt along- yes
Block swap- No, not confident in my embroidery skills yet.
Embroider only - no , use it in a pieced quilt project
Applique and embroidery - yes.
Type of project- quilting related (not clothing)

Deb

Deb
Quilting and quilt retreats makes me happy!
Regina
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:51:51 AM(UTC)
Regina

This is a timely topic for me, since I have a machine embroidery project in the works.  SO this would be great for me if...

quilt along - yes
block swap - probably not unless we are paired with one other person not a group
embroidery only - yes
applique & embroidery - yes 
group purchase pattern - no, I've got plenty Laughing
project type - quilt related not clothing, etc. but anything where the embroidery is patch/es in the finished piece

Regina

EvelynB
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:39:44 AM(UTC)
EvelynB

Wow, lots of options! I'm in a group that swaps machine embroidery blocks. Depending on the number of swappers that sign up, we do 3-5 for each member. We always use Kona cotton since that can be found everywhere. Sometimes we use one color like Bone and sometimes we do a variety. I chose butter yellow the last time we did baby themed blocks. I was just looking in my stash yesterday and found a bunch of Easter blocks ready to sew together. I may make some tablerunners for gifts from them. We like to chose a theme, holiday or spring or baby. I had two sets of Halloween themed blocks and finally got them together this year. Right now I have the spring block wallhanging hanging in my den (wishing for spring). It has 25 blocks and I love the variety. Here's a small portion of the wallhanging.

http://www.quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=472&pid=24999

EvelynB
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:50:39 AM(UTC)
EvelynB

Here's one of the Halloween wallhangings I made from embroidered swap blocks. We each chose a color of Kona and made 3 different designs for each person. So easy once you make the decision on the design. It's amazing the variety we get plus it gives you ideas of designs to buy that stitch out beautifully. Some designers are awesome and some are worthless.

http://www.quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=472&pid=25000

EvelynB
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:56:10 AM(UTC)
EvelynB

Just trying to inspire. I used some designs for postcards.

http://www.quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=472&pid=25001

ladysaint
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:17:08 PM(UTC)
ladysaint

Beautiful Evelyn!! I just love that Halloween one, but I am attracted to brights!  But I love the postcards as well.  where are those designs from?  And I agree, some designers are wonderful and there are some out there, just stay away from.  The ones I really watch are on Etsy.  I have had problems with some of those designers, not all.

Jann:

quilt along- yes
Block swap- yes
Embroider only - yes, but do enjoy combining with quilting/piecing
Applique and embroidery - yes
Type of project - anything but clothing.  Not a fan of making clothing at all.  I do enjoy in-the-hoop projects quite a bit!

Toni Ann
EvelynB
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:33:39 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

The scripture designs are lovely stitch outs plus they're free.
http://sewbird.webs.com/biblepromisespage6.htm
I didn't use the border since I put them on postcards.
EvelynB
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:41:07 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

I love and prefer block swaps so I can do my own sampler. I tend to get behind on quilt alongs. Applique is okay but I have gotten some that fell apart when washed. Either the designer or the swapper didn't get the fabrics stitched down well. This is going to be fun!

We should do small blocks 6" squares or 8" max because some people have only 4" machines. Stitch outs take less time too.
Brenda
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:03:21 PM(UTC)
Brenda

I am brand new so all of the above would be ok with me.  As long as people remember a lot of us are new to this.

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

quiltertess
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:48:41 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

I'd prefer a quilt along

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
DonnaB
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:38:58 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

I've been almost absent on QATW for the last 6 weeks due to family "traumas"...sigh, but things are improving and I hope I will be able to participate with the Machine Embroidery Group...whatever it is.

Jann, before I answer your questions, I would like to make three comments:  

1)  It seems like there are quite a few "newbies" to machine embroidery that may not be ready for a swap right away.  Maybe 2 to 3 months of "quilt-alongs" first - just to get everyone comfortable first would be a good idea.

2) Personally, I'm not wild about machine embroidered blocks with heavy stitch density for quilt blocks.  (Plus, high stitch density may be overwhelming for new machine-embroiderers.) If we have a block swap, I would suggest a limit be set on the stitches per design...something like 1 to 2,000 (max 3,000?)...to keep the designs "light" weight and reasonably quick and easy for newbies.

3)  I agree with Evelyn on the 6" (max 8") block size and establishing a common Kona background fabric.

Now my responses:

quilt along - yes (if it starts after April 1 and first 1-3 months)  (This could still be working on the blocks planned for the block swap for later.)

block swap - yes (only if after April 1) - keeping the volume down on a 1st swap

Embroidery only - If this is referring to the blocks specifically, yes (but not excluding applique in the embroidery hoop - next question)  (I'm assuming we each can use our creativity to combine these blocks with pieced blocks, piecing, etc. to make our individual projects.)

Applique and Embroidery - I assume this is applique in the embroidery hoop, if so, my answer is yes.

Type of Project - For a First Project, lets keep it small. (I agree, quilt related only.)  Even swapping 1 block per person would give plenty of blocks for a table topper, small lap quilt, wall-hanging, etc.  (I like Evelyn's idea of a theme...maybe spring flowers for this one?)

I'll shut up now...lol!

db:)

Donna B from North Central Washington State
Murffja
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:56:20 AM(UTC)
Murffja

Well I have been eyeing this quilt along.  I want to join to learn more about my machine and how to embroider. I don't use it much because it has gotten intimidating and cumbersome to get set up and do anything with.  My space is really limited.  I would really like to use it more and learn what I am doing.  I have spent many $$ on supplies etc. 

Swaps I am not interesting in at this time.  I am not interested in appliques but have to say I did a fabric embroidery applique on a onsies. and it was kind of fun.  The onsie was a bear to get in the hoop but I did it.

Jessica
ladysaint
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:22:52 AM(UTC)
ladysaint

Originally Posted by: DonnaB Go to Quoted Post

2) Personally, I'm not wild about machine embroidered blocks with heavy stitch density for quilt blocks.  (Plus, high stitch density may be overwhelming for new machine-embroiderers.) If we have a block swap, I would suggest a limit be set on the stitches per design...something like 1 to 2,000 (max 3,000?)...to keep the designs "light" weight and reasonably quick and easy for newbies.

3)  I agree with Evelyn on the 6" (max 8") block size and establishing a common Kona background fabric.

Totally agree on stitch count.  If going into a quilt, lightweight designs are best.  I do leave my fabric larger than needed for the block and after I stitch out my design, then I go and cut my block to correct size needed for quilt.  If you embroider on a set block size, your block will most likely NOT be the correct size when you are done embroidering just due to pull compensation. 

Toni Ann
EvelynB
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 2:56:25 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Good points, ladies. High thread count designs sometimes look horrible after being washed and dried. Also I've had some that stitch for 45 minutes and then burp and I have to start over. Very, VERY frustrating!
Evelyn
pbadder
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:37:35 PM(UTC)
pbadder

I am also semi new to machine embroidery.

quilt along - yes 

block swap = no

embroidery - yes

applique - No

small project to start

MelissaLH
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:28:15 PM(UTC)
MelissaLH

I would love to join the group and anything would be OK with me. This is kind of stupid but I'm not real sure what quilt along is. Anyway, I'd love to quilt along or anything on the group.

Aunt Missy's Attic - Melissa
jcorsbie
#20 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 2:38:16 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: MelissaLH Go to Quoted Post

I would love to join the group and anything would be OK with me. This is kind of stupid but I'm not real sure what quilt along is. Anyway, I'd love to quilt along or anything on the group.

Melissa:  A quilt-along is where everyone does their own thing, at their own pace, and posts their progress in the string.   No swapping.

jann

Bonita
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 4:19:12 PM(UTC)
Bonita

I have a brand new e. machine I bought last year and have never set up. So I am a complete newbie. But I spent all that money on the thing I need to learn how to use it. If there will be something for Embroidery For Dummies count me in.

Bonita
Rss Feed  Atom Feed