Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages123>»
Veronica
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 4:46:49 AM(UTC)
Veronica

Many quilters own one or more older sewing machines which have been around for 50 years or more.  Tell us about your older machine.  When did you buy it, what is her (or his) name?  What is the story behind this machine coming to live with you.  And don't forget to post pictures!  We want to drool over your machine - from a distance, of course!  We can't let these beauties rust!

LauraB
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 6:50:51 AM(UTC)
LauraB

This is going to be a fun thread.  To see and read about everyones new to me sewing machines. 

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
Chelle
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:00:19 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I have a 1912 White treadle machine and cabinet.  I saw her on craigslist and then she wasn't listed anymore.  A few weeks later I was talking to my aunt about treadles and thought I would look again, and the treadle was posted.  I told my husband about it and approx an hour later he called and told me he would be home for lunch.  He had called the guy and said he needed to buy the treadle for my birthday present, she was $75.00.  Her name is Ruby, after my grandmother, and while I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with her I have had fun with her.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
LauraB
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:15:37 AM(UTC)
LauraB

Here is my vintage find.  This morning I dubbed her "Jade" Queen of the Vikings.  That is unless anyone has a better name.  I found her at a sale and I thought I paid $5 for her.  DH says it was more, either way she was very inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap) wouldn't want her thinking she was cheap.  She sews a beautiful straight stitch, but has some issues winding a bobbin and doesn't reverse.  So while in chat last night we were all looking at vintage machines and discussing them.  I stated her issues and most think she will just need a good cleaning.  While thinking this morning and looking at vintage machine, I have decided to take her in for repairs and get her all fixed up.  After all I really do like green and my dad's brother was for as long as I can remember a Viking sales and repair man.  So when using her she will remind me of my dad, who I miss dearly each and every day.  While she is out for repairs I will modify my sewing table to fit her perfectly and she will be my machine of choice:) 

Isn't she beautiful

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
Quiltbaby
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:25:40 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Oh my Laura, I am a viking girl all the way!! She is sleek and Oh so Beautiful! What a spectacular find!! Just gorgeous!
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
GloBug
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:35:11 AM(UTC)
GloBug

V.  Where's your picture and story of Turk? :P

This is a fun thread and I look forward to hearing all the fun stories and seeing the pictures of these beauties!!

GloBug

GloBug - Glo - Gloria
GloBug
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:39:01 AM(UTC)
GloBug

Chelle, I loved your post about Ruby!!  I sort of remember you posting about a treadle machine when you lived in Sunnyvale.  Am I right?  Anyway...picture please.

LauraB, Jade is beautiful and so clean!!!  Yes, get her serviced so you can fully enjoy your time with her!

Hugs, BugGlo

GloBug - Glo - Gloria
Veronica
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 12:45:14 PM(UTC)
Veronica

About 11 years ago, an older friend gave me this machine:

It is a Necchi Supernova Ultra.  I have all the original things that came with the machine: instruction manuals, accessory box with all the accessories, cams, original sales card.  The sales card says the machine was purchase in Januray, 1949, so I am asuming the machine was made in 1948.  This has been my main sewing machine for 10 years.  Sadly, I have never named her.  I will have to think on that and see what name comes to me.  It sews beautifully and is so very sturdy.  I have done all my free motion quilting on this machine up to a 99"x99" quilt.  It developed a problem which I sent to a repair guy to fix last year.  The reverse button began popping out too far which caused the stitch length gears to disengage and go to the highest stitch length at all times.  He fixed it, but the problem has come back.  My solution is to get in there and try to fix it myself (which I really am not sure how to do, but my repair guy kept the machine for 2 months last time and probably won't fix it again) or get a new machine.

So, I introduce you to...

...the newest addition to our family.  This little blue boy I found on Craigslist last week during some online chatting about vintage sewing machines.  When my Necchi began breathing her last I was strongly encouraged by my fellow chatters to check out this machine.  The woman who owned it didn't like it.  Someone who used to live with her actually stole a nicer machine that used to belong to the woman's mother and left her this.  She sewed so seldom that she didn't even know until a couple years later.  There is no manual or accessories and the woman had no clue how to wind the bobbin, thread the machine, or change the stitces.  Thankfully, with my years of working with another older machine, I was able to figure everything out to get the machine running for a test drive.  He (Yes, HE) runs beautifully and the tension is pretty good.  I need to spend more time cleaning and oiling to get him to tip top shape.  I may even take him in for a tune up, but I think I will wait until after Christmas to deal with that.  He currently has no name but I'm thinking on it.  Also, I have scoured the internet to find information on the machine, but there really isn't much.  Someone in chat found a link to a blog that has a machine almost identical to mine, only the nameplate or badge is Wizard instead of Brother.  The best guess anyone can come up with is that it was made in the 50's or 60's.  It was made in Japan and is another great, sturdy machine weighing quite a bit.

My last machine is a treadle.

I didn't even know I wanted a treadle, but a woman posted that she was selling one on a local homeschool group.  Someone beat me to it when I contacted her, so I put it out of my mind.  Then a few days later she contacted me saying she never heard from the first person and would I be interested?  YES!  There were a few things "wrong" with the machine: the tension wire was all bent out of shape, screws holding the metal cover on the side were gone, the belt was really loose.  After $35 I brought her home and started to play.  The tension wire was just turned around the dial and easily put back into position.  I found the missing screws in one of the drawers.  In another drawer I found the original leather belt and replaced the stretched out rubber belt.  I carefully oiled and worked with it and soon she was running smoothly.  It took about a day or two for me to figure out how to get the treadle action to work properly.  But this machine is gorgeous and in excellent condition!  Especially when you realize it was made in April 1910.  I love it!  And yes, this is yet another machine with no name.

stitchintime
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 2:05:41 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

Oh what fun seeing all these beautiful old machines!

Barb... The Lion does not turn around when a small dog barks
DonnaB
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 2:32:24 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

I have 2 vintage sewing machines:  a 1948 Singer Featherweight and a 1910 White FR Treadle...both purchased in 2013.

Introducing Garnet, my 1948 FW that was my 70th birthday present!  She's named after my DMIL who was a wonderful seamstress and taught me so much about sewing and fabrics. (BTW, she has the scroll plate.)

1948 Singer Featherweight

Garnet was purchased on EBay by my DH...after much searching, comparisons, and bidding.  She had already been cleaned, serviced and had many extra pressure feet with her. The case was intact, but not in the best of condition (I don't trust the handle).  I have since purchased extra bobbins, lightbulbs, a seam guide, etc. plus have sewn a cloth carrier for the FW and it's case.  She is really a joy to sew on!!!  Here's a picture of the case:

Featherweight Carrying Case

My second machine is a 1910 White FR (Family Rotary) Treadle.  On the way back from the 2013 Oregon Coast Retreat, DH and I were stopping at antique shops along the way, just taking our time driving back to my sister's house in the Portland OR area.  In one shop, I noticed (through the doorway into the backroom) what appeared to be a treadle base under a stack of junk.  I asked the owner if that was a sewing machine in the back.  She frowned, remarking "oh that ol' thing...it hasn't sold all summer and we are planning to haul it to the dump next week."  OMG!!!

Anyway, we checked her out.  The cabinet was in terrible shape with the top badly water damaged, but the machine itself moved freely and was not all that bad.  We bought her for $35.00!  Then, had to figure out how to get her home in a car already full to capacity from a quilting retreat...lol!!!  DH works magic when packing things! We actually drove to my sisters to unload and back to the antique store to pick up the treadle.  These things are heavy and awkward.  I had thought the treadle would be left at DS's house for the winter, but DH managed to get everything packed in & around that machine in our Subaru.

I decided to name my White treadle "Wilhemina" in honor of my grandmother who was born in Wilhelmina, OR...just a few miles from where we found this machine. And here she is:

1910 White FR Treadle

This is a picture taken in the antique store.  Since then I have done quite a bit of clean-up on the machine and cabinet (that drawer-front has been fixed - the pieces were all inside the drawer).  One drawer was locked, but DH was able to get it open and waa-laa, the bobbin-case was inside the drawer!  The top is still unfinished.  DH planned to work on it this last summer, but the wild-fires in our area came first.  You might notice the missing decal in the center of the machine bed.  It is covered with paint or enamal. I haven't attempted to remove it.  My guess is the decal was pretty badly damaged or a person wouldn't have attempted to cover it.  For now, it's staying as it is!

Donna B from North Central Washington State
quiltertess
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:15:21 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

This was the first antique machine I bought.  I found it on ebay for $75 including shipping.  It is a 1925 Singer portable with a round wooden case and a knee control.  It is in excellent condition.  The original sales receipt came packaged with it.  I bought this machine because it is just like the one my grandmother owned and the one I first learned to sew on.  Sadly, my grandmother's machine was lost in a flood during Hurricane Agnes back in the 1970s.  I have named her Pauline, after my grandmother.

Since then I have bought a 1950s Featherweight, a Minnesota treadle (precursor to the Sears Kenmore brand) and I was given a 1920's era Singer treadle in a beautiful cabinet.  I can't find pictures of them, so I guess I will have to take some.

The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
GardenGal
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 4:22:13 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Loving all the pictures and stories.

I found ROSIE on craigslist last week as we chatting about machines in chat.   Went to go see her and she sewed very smooth!   She's still youngish.. she was built in the 80s.  :D

--
MargeP
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 5:20:29 PM(UTC)
MargeP

LauraB- you have one of the greatest machines made by Viking.  The picture doesn't do justice to the wonderful shade of green.  I bought one new in 1960 - sewed on it for probably 20 years and just had to get a computerized Viking.  Eventually I gave my daughter my green beauty (bad mistake) - probably in 1995 or so.  She had three little girls and I knew she could use it.  They moved to the coast along about 2000 and a couple years later my DH was cleaning out a storage shed where two of my kids had stored stuff.  He came in and told me he had found my green machine.  I would not believe him at all.  He was right!  I don't know when the kids put the machine in the storage unit, no heat in the winter and too much heat in the summer.

We did clean it up and sold it to a fellow on eBay and he was pleased.  We ended up buying two more on eBay, sold one to a good friend and I still have the third one but it does need some work.

I also have a Singer Featherweight from the late 40's, need to check her exact birthdate but her name is "Queenie."  I had sewn as a teenager on one just like her that my Mom traded in for a Singer Slant-o-matic shortly after I got my first green Viking.  She has the Egyptian Scroll Face plate.  Also have a New Home Rotary treadle- just for looks!  Have never sewn on it.  I need to take some pictures and will post later.  Oh yes, also have a Singer 301 and it has a few problems.

We also have several boxes in our computer room that have Singer Featherweights that we bought on eBay.  There are some hulks, a couple that need some work - DH was going to repair them and then re=sell but that hasn't happened. 

Quiltertess - I think the replica Singer I have is like yours - DH bought it at Costco about 20 years ago but I haven't used it.  I guess we really need to take some time and use what we have around this place.

DonnaB - love the case you have for Garnet.  We bought a black case on eBay like the original ones for the FW but it does not have the tray in the top of it like the original ones had.

MargeP
LauraB
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 6:24:21 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Thanks Marge, I can guess then that Jade is from the 60's sometime. 

I should have added that I have a Singer 201 and a Singer Treadle too.  I will need to take some pictures to add later.

I love reading about everyones machines and love seeing the pictures of them.  They are all so beautiful.

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
DonnaB
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:24:04 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

Originally Posted by: Chelle Go to Quoted Post

I have a 1912 White treadle machine and cabinet.  I saw her on craigslist and then she wasn't listed anymore.  A few weeks later I was talking to my aunt about treadles and thought I would look again, and the treadle was posted.  I told my husband about it and approx an hour later he called and told me he would be home for lunch.  He had called the guy and said he needed to buy the treadle for my birthday present, she was $75.00.  Her name is Ruby, after my grandmother, and while I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with her I have had fun with her.

Chelle, I bet your 1912 & my 1910 White treadle machines are very similar.  We'll have to keep in touch as we try to use these beautiful old machines!

monalee
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:27:35 PM(UTC)
monalee

Chelle,

I have a Ruby machine too and a grandma named Ruby.  Its a treadle I bought this summer and it sits in my sewing room. 

DonnaB
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:40:15 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

Mona, is that a hand-crank machine?  I don't see a belt on it...

Edit:  OK, I see now, it is a treadle machine, but it doesn't have the belt on it right now.  Have fun with that! They are all such wonderful ol' machines!!!   

Beautiful decals!!!

quiltertess
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:53:48 PM(UTC)
quiltertess

I have been kicking myself mentally for several years now for passing up a hand-crank Singer that I saw at the Portabello outdoor flea market in London.   I don't even know what the asking price was, but I was more concerned about how I would get it home that I didn't even ask.  I keep thinking about it though....

DonnaB
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:10:27 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

Tess, you might be interested in this artlcle from our local paper.  This woman has had a booth at our Saturday Farmer's Market for several years...with her hand-crank Singer machine.  At the market, her grand-daughter is usually sewing on the hand-crank while she man's the booth.  There is a beautiful picture of her machine with the article!

Singer Hand-Crank Machine

quiltertess
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:59:32 AM(UTC)
quiltertess

Thanks for the link Donna!

DonnaB
#21 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:53:53 AM(UTC)
DonnaB

Veronica, thanks for starting this thread!  It's really fun to see the pictures of the beautiful old machines and their stories are wonderful.     

Rss Feed  Atom Feed