Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

44 Pages123>»
GardenGal
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:42:51 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

This thread is for messages dealing with wool applique and projects.   

This was made by our very own LauraB!

It seems many folks are wondering where they might find some wool so thinking this first message might be a good place for folks to come to if they are thinking about ordering some

member Likes link to wool source
 LauraB  x  Primative Gatherings
 LauraB  x  WinterBerry Cabins

From LB: Here are some places I have tried and am going to try. 

(I think High priced) Blackberry Primitives - http://www.bHelackberryprimitives.com/

The next two appear to have great prices by the yard.  I will be ordering from them soon to see what kind of service we get 

Dorr Mill Store - https://dorrmillstore.com/

Heavens To Betsy - http://www.heavens-to-be...category_1/SHOP-WOOL.htm

--
GardenGal
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:46:10 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

At the retreat in Oregon,  Gini taught a class on wool applique and I am hooked.   I even bought my first piece of wool as I was leaving town.

I can really see this in FALL projects.  As instructed, I've washed it twice and it's at least 1/3 smaller than when I bought it.  LOL

Today I ran by the local thrift shop and lucked up on 2 jackets... one was a PLUS size so I will get lots of wool from it.  ( cranberry )   The smaller one was a pale pink.     Those have been washed ONCE.   I'm going back tomorrow because all clothing is 50% off tomorrow and I saw  beige, tan and green jackets.  

Looking forward to hearing, seeing and learning MORE about wool. 

gg

--
DonnaB
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:47:44 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

That thread title is just too funny "Wooly Boogers"...LOL!  

But Thanks GG for starting the thread.  It just so happens I do have some questions today...

When you buy these patches of wool fabric at the quilt stores, do they need to be double washed in hot water too?

What about the construction remnants I bought at Pendleton?  I have one piece that is pretty loosely woven so I know I will do that one, but what about the others?  And, what about the blanket binding strips...I'm thinking not on those...they are more like felt already.

Donna B from North Central Washington State
patti.cockfield
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:04:55 PM(UTC)
patti.cockfield

I'd wash them all.  Not just to felt, but some of the bright colored wools from clothing do bleed.   They weren't constructed to keep color in the wash. 

Leslie
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:36:04 PM(UTC)
Leslie

GG, your on a roll.  My local  goodwill,  sometimes I can get  wool jackets for a dime  apiece.  I come across alot of purple,  green, red and black.  other colors are hard to find.  I brought my big tub of wool,  to Branson, with me last year to share with Gini.

Leslie
GardenGal
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:43:18 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

I didn't do nearly that well Les.   I got these two at half price (were 7.99 and had a yellow tag)  so 4.00 each.    The cranberry was was a really good deal because it was a plus size with lots of fabric....   I saw at least 3 more that I want to pick up tomorrow.

gg

--
crzyquilter
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:19:01 PM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Location: In The Land of the Lost, being held captive by the AZ Fabric Monster

VBG... that thread title got my attention.  I used to do a little wool applique.  One thing I did learn is that before you wash cut yardage, stitch around all edges to prevent a lot of fraying.

Question; do any of you use fusible to help keep the wool in place?  

Deanne
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
gini
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:03:24 AM(UTC)
gini

i don't use fusibles, but sometimes i use the wool garments that i can't get the fusibles off of.  as long as i stitch around the piece close enough so it doesn't show.

gini
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:05:42 AM(UTC)
gini

the pretty pieces you get in the quilt shop are already felted, but as patti said, they might run, most of these are hand dyed.  yardage is not felted and they will sell 1/4 1nd 1/2 yd pieces of this so you need to watch.

LauraB
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:52:31 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Originally Posted by: crzyquilter Go to Quoted Post

Question; do any of you use fusible to help keep the wool in place?  

I use fusible when doing a piece that will be handled a lot.  Especially if it has tiny pieces, that can not be blanket stitched.  Say for instance the cover of the needle books I make and the leather lined scissor case that is on the inside.  I give them as gifts and would hate for all that work to fall off.  I know they say you don't have to I just feel safer doing it.  It doesn't show and as I said is only on the areas of the piece that need a little extra hold.  This one isn't done, but you can see how tiny some of the pieces are, without measuring I believe they are right around a 1/4". 

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
DonnaB
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:03:28 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

That is just darling Laura!!! 

Do you mind if I copy some of the features in your design?  Love those boots!!!

DonnaB
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:06:28 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

Laura, if you are using fusible with the wool (I've never thought of doing that before), what heat setting for the Iron?  I've also never looked on the Steam-a-Seam products to see what they recommend for wool.

LauraB
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:49:23 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Originally Posted by: DonnaB Go to Quoted Post

That is just darling Laura!!! 

Do you mind if I copy some of the features in your design?  Love those boots!!!

I don't mind at all Donna.....use away.  If you don't draw, I can scan and send you my original drawing, just let me know.

I use both steam a seam lite and I can't think of the name of the other lite weight stuff I use........goodness it is a brand that is old as the hills too.  I use either the hotest setting or one click down on my iron and use steam.  Oh and a pressing cloth, I started using this after almost melting my project.  If you are quick about it you can get away with out the pressing cloth.  Like I said I only use it on the parts that get lots of handling or wear.  I am sure you know this but don't buy.......I repeat don't buy the heavy weight or the no sew.........made that mistake once, I manged to finish the project with a pliers and lots of needles and frayed thread:(  Live and learn:) 

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
monalee
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:59:47 PM(UTC)
monalee

That is lovely Laura!  I missed the wool applique class--sad face--but all my 4H girls sew with Pendleton wool for our Make it with Wool contest every year.  So I have alot of scraps to use whenever I finally learn it.  One good thing about teaching sewing.

JackieH
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:07:29 PM(UTC)
JackieH

Here's a tutorial for wool applique using fusible.  Quiltmaker blog

(While you are there type "Jackie Hughes" in their search, not wool related but some fun quilts to look at)

Jacy
JackieH
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:09:51 PM(UTC)
JackieH

That is beautiful Laura.

Is it Heat n'Bond Lite that you are thinking of?

Jacy
LauraB
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:47:59 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Originally Posted by: JackieH Go to Quoted Post

That is beautiful Laura.

Is it Heat n'Bond Lite that you are thinking of?

That is it Jackie.......Thank you so much!

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
GloBug
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:57:16 PM(UTC)
GloBug

(While you are there type "Jackie Hughes" in their search, not wool related but some fun quilts to look at)

Jackie, thank you for sharing your AWESOME quilts as a member of the Quiltmaker Scrap Squad!!  You are so talented and I congratulate you on being selected as a QM Scrap Squad Member!!!  Woo Hooo!!! 

Gloria

LauraB
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:57:48 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Thank you my scrap master friend.........at least I know I was doing it somewhat right:)  Love all the quilts you have done and posted over there as well.

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
GardenGal
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:00:53 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Gini I just bought one piece that had a lot of a FUSED product on the edges of the coat.  I cut that off to be thrown out.   Are you saying it's good and I can wash it and use it ??

OMG  What a day ..  I went to 2 thrift shops and bought so much I couldn't carry it in the house in one bag...   Lots of pretty colors.  

How do you guys STORE your wools ?

gg

--
DonnaB
#21 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:25:34 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

I found another article on Quiltmaker about washing/felting wool - and what to look for when purchasing used wool clothing.       Go HERE   Good info!

There is a link on the page, entitled "More on felting wool", but it's a dead-end.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed