Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages123>»
Veronica
#1 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:08:11 PM(UTC)
Veronica

http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=141&pid=8367

Bookcase Quilt Along

How would you like to have your own Bookcase Quilt hanging on your wall?  Or perhaps you know a teacher or librarian that would love to have a special quilt like this.  Maybe you could even make one for your special reading spot on those cool, relaxing evenings when you curl up with a good book.

Now is the time to make your own Bookcase Quilt.  This quilt is unusual in that it doesn't have specific blocks, but more of a guidline in how to make the rows.  You can work at your own pace and put as much detail in your "books" as you would like.

I am here to be your mentor and guide.  I'll explain how to make the books and we can work together on finding the perfect knicknacks for your shelves.

Who is going to join me?

Construction Crew Progress
Veronica  beginning fabrics chosen
Dee  looking for shelving
Christine09  has awesome shelving fabric
upirygirl  
chicki86 - Stacey  
brownquilting - Lorraine  tangled mess of scraps
GloBug - Gloria  found stash fabric
MissSadie - Lori  
crzyquilter - Deanne  still deciding on background
Arizona - Lynne  
auroraqu - Sherry  
PeaceLovePugs - Donna  searching, possibly shopping
Krazymama - Pam  looking for fabrics
Joy-n-quilting "stashing this away"
Terra  

YOU??  

Here is an album for you to put your pictures.

...hanging on to the threads of life.
Veronica
#2 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:11:49 PM(UTC)
Veronica

Your first step in making this quilt is deciding what color you want the back of you book shelves to be.  In my example above I chose black.  Think about the look you want for your bookcase.  Do you want dark wood for the shelves and black for the back?  Maybe you want light blond wood with a burgandy or brown for the background?

Let me know if you're joining the quilt along and if you have any questions.  I'll do my best to no confuse anyone.

Threadbare
#3 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:17:03 PM(UTC)
Threadbare

I'm in.  Can you tell us how much fabric we need for  the shelves and background.

FLORENCE
upirygirl
#4 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:58:40 PM(UTC)
upirygirl

Threadbare wrote:

I'm in.  Can you tell us how much fabric we need for  the shelves and background.

i second that! i might have something in my stash that would work, but not sure i have enough.

ps. totally want to play along.

christine09 wrote:

I would love to play along with you all, as a new member though I feel like I am all at sea, so hope I can manage it.

don't be nervous. none of us bite (hard ). the nice thing about quilt alongs is there are no deadlines. you go at your own pace. the next step will be here for you when you are ready!

~ Christy
chicki86
#5 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 8:02:14 PM(UTC)
chicki86

I will be peeking in for the steps, but I am currently in the process of moving and will be packing my sewing stuff in the near future. I saved this photo on pinterest as something I wanted to create- I'm so excited to have the opportunity to do it!
Stacey (chicki86)
brownquilting
#6 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 8:45:24 PM(UTC)
brownquilting

I'm in
Lorraine
Lorraine
Deep in the heart of .....
GloBug
#7 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 9:12:26 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Veronica, thank you for being our mentor and guide on this QAL.  I'm willing to give it a try because of your willingness to work with us and help answer our questions that come up.  Thank you so much for this great opportunity!

Gloria/GloBug

crzyquilter
#8 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 11:40:07 PM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Location: In The Land of the Lost, being held captive by the AZ Fabric Monster

I'm in. I love to 'read'. Thank you V for starting this up for our group.
Deanne
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
Veronica
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:29:29 AM(UTC)
Veronica

Yay!  We have several that want to play!

The first question about yardage:  That is a really tough one to answer ... it really depends on how big you want your quilt and how much empty space you are going to have on your shelves.  I think 1 - 1 1/2 yards of the background will be enough.  The wood for the bookcase will depend on how many shelves you make and how long those shelves are.

So, clear as mud?

Secondly: Don't feel intimidated by this quilt.  It really is quite easy.  We will be basically sewing strips together.  Your books can be any scrap strip of fabric.  I used solids, marbles, stripes, small prints, florals, batiks, etc. 

I'll be gathering my materials and posting some photos later in the week of how to make a simple book block.

upirygirl
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:02:44 PM(UTC)
upirygirl

Veronica wrote:

The first question about yardage:  That is a really tough one to answer ... it really depends on how big you want your quilt and how much empty space you are going to have on your shelves.  I think 1 - 1 1/2 yards of the background will be enough.  The wood for the bookcase will depend on how many shelves you make and how long those shelves are.

So, clear as mud?

hahaha. yes. clear as mud. makes sense though.

so i'm thinking i should either 1. just use something i have a lot of and stop whenever i run out *OR* 2. use something that i can easily get more of if i run out and i want the quilt to be larger.

i'm excited about this QAL. i added "bookcase quilt" to my 2013 list during the contest. and i'm 99% sure of which of my friends is going to say she wants this quilt when it's done.

~ Christy
Veronica
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:05:02 AM(UTC)
Veronica

Good morning, ladies!  How is the fabric selection going?  I have chosen a dark blue for my background fabric.  I'll be waiting until I'm done making shelves before finding shelving fabric.  I've also started pulling fabric for the book spines.  Here is what I have so far.

http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16419

I am going to need a lot more fabric to build books, but this is a start. 

Don't worry about the length of your strips, yet.  All sizes will be used.  Right now you just want to gather together as much fabric as you can.  And anything can be used!

Okay, Go!  Gather!  You may want to get a small box or tub to put everything for the bookcase quilt into.

Dee
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:36:29 AM(UTC)
Dee

I think I will use kona black for the background. I can start with what I have and can get more as I build my bookcase.  I need to find some wood next. 

crzyquilter
#13 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2013 10:15:28 AM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Location: In The Land of the Lost, being held captive by the AZ Fabric Monster

I'm still trying to decide on the background, and am stash busting for some letter fabric.

Deanne
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
brownquilting
#14 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2013 7:57:17 PM(UTC)
brownquilting

scraps for my bookcase quilt. Tangled mess, but will separate and iron.

Lorraine

Lorraine
Deep in the heart of .....
Veronica
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 7:45:56 PM(UTC)
Veronica

Oh, it's never too late to join!  I'll be posting basic instructions over the next few weeks that will allow you to make your own quilt.  And then we'll all work away, ask questions, give ideas, and post pictures for however long we have an interest.

I will be making the first block tonight and posting pictures and instructions of how to make a simple book block.  You will be making this particular block the most.  It will encompass about half of the total blocks.  Of course, this is your quilt so you can make it any way you like.

Veronica

Veronica
#16 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 11:46:55 AM(UTC)
Veronica

Simple Vertical Book Block

1. Gather your strips and iron them flat.  You will need 8-12 strips depending on how thick or thin your books are going to be.http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16429
  2. If you have a block of background fabric like I do, you can sew the strips to the background.  If your background is already in small pieces, you can just match up the strips and background as close as you can.  It doesn't matter if they're not exact because you can trim the strip to be straight.  Press the seams. http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16430
  3. Cut the strips apart and start laying them out in the order you'd like your books.  http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16431
  4. Don't try to line the books along the bottom.  Look at the overall image of your books to get nice varying heights.  Some books can be the entire height of the shelf so you will not add a background piece.  You will need to make sure all the books in your book block will be long enough for your block.  Just lay your ruler over the strips to see that the strips fall inside your block height. http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16432
  5. Sew the strips together and press.http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16433
  6. Trim the bottom.  Use the tops of the book spines as a guide to make the books sit straight.http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16434
  7. Trim the top of your block.  I am making my blocks 10 inches high, but you can make yours any size you want - 6.5 inches, 12 inches, 8.25 inches, it's your choice.http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16435
  8. And now you have completed your first block!http://quiltingaroundtheworld.com/gallery/fullsize.aspx?aid=556&pid=16436

As you can probably tell, I didn't trim the sides of my block.  The important thing is to get the height of your block correct.  Since we'll be making rows of books, it's not neccessary to trim the sides down to a certain size.  Of course, if it makes you more comfortable to have all your blocks a uniform size, you may trim your blocks down to 12". 

Now, go make your first block of books!  You can post pictures in our album if you'd like to.  If you have questions, give me a shout.

Next, I'll be showing how to add simple book bands to individual books.

Threadbare
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:11:32 PM(UTC)
Threadbare

Hoping to get my background fabric tomorrow so I can get started on this.

FLORENCE
EvelynB
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:02:37 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Wish I was home to post a photo of my all time favorite quilt. It's a bookcase quilt done as a row robin. I made a row with Kona black background and sent it with extra Kona to the other members. I embroidered some strips of titles of books (real and some silly ones). I did a photo transfer on fabric of my DD in Paris at the Eiffel Tower and sashed it to look like a picture frame. Each shelf is adorable. I gave it to my DD when she finished her masters degree in library science. It hangs in her dining room and people do a double take. It has a Tiffany Lamp, a fishbowl, and a variety of appliqued items with her hobbies in mind on the shelves.

With that said, I want to make another one for my hallway! So excited!! I'm on vacation and will be home next week. The outlet mall got all my money today. Eek! I wanted to visit quilt shops too.
EvelynB
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:32:31 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Hope you can see the photo. I borrowed her iPad to test drive. I have two iPods and aren't sure if I want an iPad. Sure seems big! And I'm not sure you can see the attachments.
EvelynB
#20 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:58:25 PM(UTC)
EvelynB

Thank you, Christine. Everyone did a great job! Notice the brown vertical strips on most shelves. It gave me more flexibility when I was aligning them to form the bookcase. You can build it in sections that way. I have a couple of friends who did all books and those are great too. I did a small one and hand wrote book titles too. They're all wonderful!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed