Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

32 Pages123>»
GloBug
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:44:40 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Click the above link to post your widdle house pictures in the album

Blog link

I found this paper piecing probject and it's caught my attention.  This blogger has invited people from all over the world to join her in making one 3" block per day over 365 days plus the 366th block a bit larger for Leap Year (2012 is a leap year).  Each 3" block will be a little house made from scraps.  You decide how you would like to make your blocks and the timeframe in making them, it's all up to you!  Please post your progress and if possible, share a picture....we love seeing pictures at QATW!!!     

Edited by user Sunday, September 9, 2018 2:35:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
House3inchPP4per.pdf (18kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
HousePP6inch.pdf (14kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Topsy
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:05:21 PM(UTC)
Topsy

Yes Gloria, this looks like fun.  Since I have so many scraps, I would be interested..

GloBug
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:50:21 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Julie... I've never paperpieced before and I'm going to give this one a try anyway....join me!

Chelle
#4 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 10:40:05 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I bookmarked it. I have a few goals this year, this could go under the stashbusting goal.
As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
GloBug
#5 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 11:38:24 AM(UTC)
GloBug

Yay!  It looks like there are a few of us interested in taking on this daily challenge throughout 2012! 

I have never paperpieced before and I made a sample block last night with brainpower and just thinking it through.  I think it turned out useable...lol.  These are tiny pieces and make adorable tiny blocks!  I'm going to search online for pp techniques to see if I can get some tips.  If any of you know of some good sources or want to share your techniques, please do....thanks!! 

MissSadie
#6 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 1:43:08 PM(UTC)
MissSadie

I might make these - I'd like to do them in 6" PP blocks.  I like the sample quilt.  What a great scrap busting quilt! 

It's the little moments that make life big.
crzyquilter
#7 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 3:03:12 PM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Location: In The Land of the Lost, being held captive by the AZ Fabric Monster

Count me in.  I'd prefer to work with the 6" houses (either PP or RC). Those 3-inchers are intimidating to me, but would work for a dog house or two.  I'll start this sew-along once I finish 2 UFOs in 2012.

Yay!  More stashbusting!  Thank you GG, for re-working the house pattern.

Deanne
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
Veronica
#8 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 4:08:38 PM(UTC)
Veronica

Okay, yes I am doing this and I am going to do the 3" size. I am starting now. If for some reason I don't get any made before the first, I will let you know and change it to starting after 2 finishes. I believe I'll be doing the pp method, but will know better once I make a few.

Veronica
KathyFL
#9 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 4:29:44 PM(UTC)
KathyFL

What a great way to use up scraps!  I'm in and will start after 2 finishes and will do the 4 inch

HUGS
Kathy
Topsy
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:09:49 PM(UTC)
Topsy

I will probably do the 4 inchers, but will need to start after the 1st of the year.  I need to finish one more UFO before starting anything new. I have a basket of tiny scraps for projects like this. THIS IS PERFECT!! Thanks  

MissSadie
#11 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 9:05:01 PM(UTC)
MissSadie

Thanks for the tips!  I definitely will be doing paper piecing.

It's the little moments that make life big.
Veronica
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:05:55 PM(UTC)
Veronica

Okay, I'm actually starting some houses NOW. I decided to make some to go as a border for a quilt top I'd like to finish SOON.

Veronica (who can't make up her mind)
GloBug
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 5:03:27 PM(UTC)
GloBug

I'm new to paper piecing too.  I was going to make 3" houses but I've changed my mind and I'll make 4" houses over the year.  I do plan on making 366 of these houses and I'll fill the quilt top with houses and then use the remainder of the houses on the backside; with 366 houses, I can still label it my 2012 Leap Year Quilt.

Here's a YouTube link that I've found helpful to start me out with concepts of paper piecing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM

Good luck! 

Edited by user Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:05:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CrossQuilts
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 9:24:17 PM(UTC)
CrossQuilts

Here's my first house. I'm doing 4 inch finished. 

Stephanie

GloBug
#15 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 12:59:27 AM(UTC)
GloBug

Oh Stephanie, that's so cute!  Thank you for sharing a picture!!

CrossQuilts
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:01:54 PM(UTC)
CrossQuilts

My houses are coming out but they are taking over an hour to make one because I still am having trouble thinking how the roof goes.  As you can see by my latest house, the Jan 3 House I have used some directional fabric again and it takes me an age to figure out how to lay it out to come out straight on the house.   Yes, I could do it the easy way with an all-over patterned fabric, but I need to LEARN how to think in terms of paper piecing. That was the goal of doing these houses.  I'm also trying to figure out how to fix seams that slightly come apart when I tear the paper (used regular sewing stitch instead of shorter sewing stitch).  It probably won't be an issue when I add the sashing.

Fridays will be my catch up day. I've not yet decided if I want to make a whole quilt with little houses, or two or three wallhangings.

Stephanie

GloBug
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:04:57 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Stephanie, I think it might help to add 2-3 stitches at the start and at the end of each stitched seam to help you avoid your seams coming apart.  I hope that made sense.

As for using directional fabric and getting it to lay straight, I'm with you on working with it until it looks like it's going to come out straight.  The only solution I see for this situation it to try to twist my brain from left brain to right brain and visa versa.  LOL, just kidding!  However, it really is a brain teaser for me but I'm going to win as I build my houses....one hour at a time.

I'm liking the new challenge and my hope is that in time, I will learn so much about paper piecing that soon I'll be building my houses in 15 minutes flat!

CrossQuilts
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:32:01 PM(UTC)
CrossQuilts

I have 5 houses done, so I'm a bit behind.  Tomorrow, I'm going to sit in front of the TV with my scraps and a table and seperate out some parts - fabrics for chimneys, windows, front of house, back of house, sky.  It is taking me 1.5 hours to make one house and I just don't have the time. The biggest problem seems to be the time it takes to make selections.  I know, I could use just about anything, but I have a mindset of how 'it should be' and haven't broken out of that yet. 

I did find that I have to have a reminder to remember to reset the stitch length when I started making these.  Otherwise, when you tear off the paper, some of the seam comes out too. 

GloBug
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:37:42 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Hi House Builders!  Just think, no hammer and nails, just your sewing machine and fabric..... how perfect is that for building houses!!

I'm still definitely in the learning curve of building my houses and although I've completed 4 of them, each took me over an hour to make.  In looking at the positive side of my time spent building each house, I am teaching my "Abby Normal" brain how to paperpiece! 

I encourage you to keep building and keep learning this technique if it's new to you!  You can do it!!

Topsy
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:33:40 PM(UTC)
Topsy

I just finished my 14th house!!! Enjoying the process, but they do take some time.  Someone mentioned about not having blue fabric for the sky---why does it have to be blue??? This is our make believe world--4 inch houses, right?  Look at the blog posted on the first page of this thread, there is alot of new pictures posted. They have used ALL kinds of fabrics for their houses. We are contractors building fun houses. we can do anything we want.... 

Krazymama
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:04:31 PM(UTC)
Krazymama

Building house 9 today, hoping to get another one or two done later tonight.  My DD Connie and her fiance are taking me out to dinner at the Outback in a little while, cause it's my Birthday, lol!  I really didn't want to have another birthday, but didn't like the alternative either, lol!  Pam

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed