Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages«<111213
LaDawn
#241 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 12:32:25 PM(UTC)
LaDawn

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

LaDawn, I seem to remember a site where I saw a vintage machine that had a "wrinkle" finish to it.  Might be that this is what you have.  Love these old machines....maybe because I am "old".

Oh, I just meant that she's earned all her flaws and worn/silver decals. Kind of like I've earned all my gray and wrinkles!

cv quilter
#242 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:36:44 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks.   I passed on it...waited to long (craigs list)

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
erindipity
#243 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 2:06:06 AM(UTC)
erindipity

Hello all, long time no chat!  Things have been crazy around here...very little sewing but slowly getting back in my sewing room.   I picked up a vintage Singer treadle machine Thursday and for the life of me I cannot figure out what model/year it is!   I have been to a few different sites and it is confusing me more than ever...lol   Serial number is G8928069.  The decals are wearing off and the cabinet is in pretty good shape, it has the box of feet and needles with it.  It does need a belt.  I paid $30 for it and even if  cannot get the machine to work the cabinet is worth that.  He has another one exactly like it but it does not work and the wood is a little rough but said he will sell it to me for parts for $20. I am going back tomorrow to get it....the base will be reused for sure! :)  

So anyway, any help identifying the model/year of the machine would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

File Attachment(s):
singer.jpg (151kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
gailb
#244 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 7:01:47 AM(UTC)
gailb

Erin, this site has all the Singer serial number information! 

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-g-series-serial-numbers.html

I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.
Chelle
#245 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 9:58:54 AM(UTC)
Chelle

A few months ago DH and I picked up a couple older machines thinking I would find parts and woohoo have more machines.  I have decided though that I sorta have a lot going on and since I haven't attempted to get parts for them (bobbin cover, bobbins) I am going to let them go.  I just need to figure out how to let them go/where to let them go.  

When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunsine.
GloBug
#246 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 10:16:02 AM(UTC)
GloBug

Originally Posted by: erindipity Go to Quoted Post

Hello all, long time no chat!  Things have been crazy around here...very little sewing but slowly getting back in my sewing room.   I picked up a vintage Singer treadle machine Thursday and for the life of me I cannot figure out what model/year it is!   I have been to a few different sites and it is confusing me more than ever...lol   Serial number is G8928069.  The decals are wearing off and the cabinet is in pretty good shape, it has the box of feet and needles with it.  It does need a belt.  I paid $30 for it and even if  cannot get the machine to work the cabinet is worth that.  He has another one exactly like it but it does not work and the wood is a little rough but said he will sell it to me for parts for $20. I am going back tomorrow to get it....the base will be reused for sure! :)  

So anyway, any help identifying the model/year of the machine would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

Hi Erin.  Using the website gailb provided, here's what I found:

G-8927601 - 8928100 is Model 81, Quantity Allotted was 500 and she was born August 24, 1921.

She's got pretty decals!

monalee
#247 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 10:22:20 AM(UTC)
monalee

I picked up a featherweight machine, has the case, book and accessories, born 1953. I haven’t had time to use it yet but I will. Plan to take it as my travel machine. I may even pay to get it repainted a bright color later.
erindipity
#248 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 10:46:26 AM(UTC)
erindipity

Originally Posted by: GloBug Go to Quoted Post

Hi Erin.  Using the website gailb provided, here's what I found:

G-8927601 - 8928100 is Model 81, Quantity Allotted was 500 and she was born August 24, 1921.

She's got pretty decals!

Thank you Glo. I had been to other sites checking and each one gave different info.  Was headed to the site Gail provided when you posted this.   With only 500 made and i will have two, I feel that I MUST make one good machine and cabinet from them.  

Thank you for the help! [/quote]

erindipity
#249 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 11:17:58 AM(UTC)
erindipity

Hmmm....so the link Gail gave it says  Model 27 born 12/30/1910  30,000 made.   But on same site i also find the info Glo gave.  SEE...this is why I am confused! haha

erindipity
#250 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 12:46:31 PM(UTC)
erindipity

Hmmm....so the link Gail gave it says  Model 27 born 12/30/1910  30,000 made.   But on same site i also find the info Glo gave.  SEE...this is why I am confused! haha

My bad...I read it wrong. Glo is correct!  :/

frankied
#251 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2019 10:58:46 AM(UTC)
frankied

I need to pick your brains girls, Ive seen some wonderful embroidery done on old singers, does anyone know what would be the best machine to use for this, Im thinking after I move house then this is something I would love to try :-) Please can you help.

Lots of love

Francesxxx

cv quilter
#252 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2019 12:06:09 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I love my BabyLock if your are talking about Machine Embroidery.  I have a BL Ellisimo and a BL Destiny.  I have never tried a Singer one.

Sharon
cv quilter
#253 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2019 12:07:44 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I just re-read your post...and I absolutely missed that you were asking about Vintage Machines.  Sorry.  I hope  you find what you are wanting and will post when you make a decision and a purchase

Sharon
frankied
#254 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 3:37:03 AM(UTC)
frankied

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

I love my BabyLock if your are talking about Machine Embroidery.  I have a BL Ellisimo and a BL Destiny.  I have never tried a Singer one.

No Sharon, some people are doing wonderful Machine Embroider using vintage Singers both treadle and Electric.

Was wondering if anyone knew the best vintage type.

Here is a youtube vid of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01nxh8HYAg

Lots of love

Francesxx

Chelle
#255 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 8:13:34 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Marilyn Lee does embroidery on her treadle and on her singer featherweight.  LOL Just looked at the link you put up and its Marilyn.  She is a sweet lady.  She and I discussed the possibility of her making patches for our uniforms like 4 or so years ago.

When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunsine.
cv quilter
#256 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 8:41:50 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Wow, Frances!  That's amazing.  I have never seen anyone do embroidery on a vintage machine.  And a treadle!!  That's a lot of foot action and what a beautiful bag that ended up being.  Thanks for posting this link.  I have a treadle, but not sure I could ever do anyhing like that.  

Sharon
Fabriholic
#257 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 10:34:56 AM(UTC)
Fabriholic

Oh wow - that is just wow.  Ok, maybe I need to quit using my treadle as a decoration and get her out, cleaned up and oiled, and a new belt and try this.  That is just so interesting. 

Sheila
Today is a new day!
frankied
#258 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 12:14:22 PM(UTC)
frankied

There is a facebook group that i joined ages ago i think its Classic sewing machine embroidery artists, they have some stunning work on there, lots to drool over.

Lots of love

Francesxxx

Rss Feed  Atom Feed