Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
frankied
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:24:56 AM(UTC)
frankied

Dorian, this could be entertaining if we ever meet you would be talking with an english accent LOL.

Thats what i loved about working in a book department finding books that i would never have found, I would never have known about books on Mennonite and amish quilts if I hadnt worked in a book department

Lots of love

Francesxx

Leslie
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:17:51 PM(UTC)
Leslie

Originally Posted by: GloBug Go to Quoted Post
Dorian, if you like books about midwives, then you should look into the trilogy "Call The Midwife" by Jennifer Worth. I recently checked it out from my local library and really enjoyed the 1950's true historical aspect of midwifery in a poor section of London, England.
Another series I have enjoyed is "Outlander" by Diana Galbadon. This one starts out in 1945 England just after WWII (I believe?) and goes to the past in 1740's Scotland. There are about 8-9 books in this series and I've read them all and enjoyed them thoroughly.
I'm always up for reading a classic like "Gone With The Wind", "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I have re-read these books at least 3 times in my life, lol.

Glo, i love the books Call the Midwife. I also watch the series on my local PBS station
Leslie
Leslie
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:19:30 PM(UTC)
Leslie

Originally Posted by: Leslie Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GloBug Go to Quoted Post
Dorian, if you like books about midwives, then you should look into the trilogy "Call The Midwife" by Jennifer Worth. I recently checked it out from my local library and really enjoyed the 1950's true historical aspect of midwifery in a poor section of London, England.
Another series I have enjoyed is "Outlander" by Diana Galbadon. This one starts out in 1945 England just after WWII (I believe?) and goes to the past in 1740's Scotland. There are about 8-9 books in this series and I've read them all and enjoyed them thoroughly.
I'm always up for reading a classic like "Gone With The Wind", "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I have re-read these books at least 3 times in my life, lol.

Glo, i love the books Call the Midwife. I also watch the series on my local PBS station
t
And i love Outlander

Leslie
GloBug
#24 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:11:27 PM(UTC)
GloBug

Leslie, I just located "Call The Midwife" on Netflix.  Looks like I'll be binge watching this series very soon over the summer!!

Oh!! And I saw that Netflix is now offering "Outlander" that the Starz channel has been showing.  I'll be watching this series as well.  

And I'm thoroughly enjoying "Big Stone Gap" by Adriana Trigiani.  I've been listening to this audiobook while I'm sewing up a quilt for my brother-in-law.  I found out that there is a series of 3 more books and I plan on getting the books on CD's through my local library.  

Dorian
#25 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:31:41 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Glo, make sure to watch the Midwife series from season 1. The first three seasons follow the books fairly well.

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
Leslie
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:31:37 AM(UTC)
Leslie

Glo, I’ve been watching the outlander series . The first couple of seasons they stayed pretty close to the books, then they started drifting but it’s still good
Leslie
EliQuilts
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:54:37 PM(UTC)
EliQuilts

I've just run across an awesome series by Sujata Massey.  She's only written 2 in the series yet, The Widows of Malabar Hill and The Satapur Moonstone.  The detective is a woman lawyer in India in the early 20th century named Perveen Mistry. 

Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
Dorian
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:58:10 PM(UTC)
Dorian

Sounds interesting Eli, thanks!

frankied
#29 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 10:38:20 AM(UTC)
frankied

Ive just read a book called Adventures of the Yorkshire Shepherdess by Amanda Owen biographical, she lives in a remote hill farm in the yorkshire dales with husband and nine children, the yorkshire dales are wonderful in spring and summer but they can get harsh winters (harsh is comparative term, in other words probably not up to Nancys standards :-) but harsh for the UK) its just a story about her everyday life so no murders, no sex but lots of humour, they have made a tv series about her called our yorkshire farm. She has wrote 2 other books so ive just ordered them to see what i missed.

Lots of love

Francesxx

Dorian
#30 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:55:49 PM(UTC)
Dorian

That sounds like a fun book Frances, thank you! 

frankied
#31 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:42:02 PM(UTC)
frankied

On a non fiction side, I have an interest in the Amish (seeing a book on Amish quilts was how i became interested in quilting and my first cross stitch was an Amish house with a quilt on the washing line) I have been reading a book called Amish Peace simple wisdom for a complicated world by Suzanne Woods Fischer. Its been a really interesting read and has certainly made me think about what I do and what maybe I would like to change, this book isnt about trying to make you Amish but about making small changes in your lives, for me this is definately one i will re read.

Lots of love

Francesxxx

Dorian
#32 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:31:54 AM(UTC)
Dorian

That sounds interesting too Frances :)

I started reading the Joanna Brady series from J.A. Jance, that Sharon talked about. Fun books, thanks Sharon.

Rhys Bowen writes some fun books. One series is where an Irish lass comes over, early 1900s?, and finds her way into becoming a detective. Another one is a girl who is something like the 35th in line for the Royal crown, but her family has no money and she doesn't want to live with her brother/wife in the cold Scottish castle that was her family home. She ends up doing detective work and such too, fun reads. And another series about a small village constable in Whales.

cv quilter
#33 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 9:35:33 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Dorian, I'm glad I led you to Joanna Brady and J.A. Jance.  They are fun reads.  I think we read all of them.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Nancy_MN
#34 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:41:18 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

I, too, like to listen to audible books while I'm sewing. Currently I'm enjoying "Educated," a memoir by Tara Westover describing her upbringing in a family of survivalists in rural Idaho. Her parents didn't trust modern schools, medicine, or any form of government services. In the summer, Tara stewed herbs for her mother, a midwife and healer, and in the winter, she salvaged in her father's junkyard. Tara was 17 before she had the opportunity to step into a public classroom. It's fascinating to read how she was finally able to leave her family, how she fared with the looser mores on a college campus, and how she eventually became an author.
~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
Rss Feed  Atom Feed