Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chelle
#1 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 11:54:08 AM(UTC)
Chelle

Has anyone made one of these and have suggestions?  I have been asked if I would use a bunch of bandanas from high school and college to make a quilt for a graduation gift.  So far I have learned I will need to use stabilizer, which will be new for me.  I haven't said yes to the project yet as I need to know what I would be getting into and determine a price.

When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunsine.
jcorsbie
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 3:40:10 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

I did make one several years ago using bandandas.  I used a fusible sablizer - a light one so the quilt would also be soft and cuddly.  I did prewash as they had picked lots of different colors.  When drying, I blocked the bandandas so they would dry as square as possible.  When dried, I pressed and they stablized.  After that I squared them up.  The friend was very happy with the quilt and so was the recipient.  I might add the quilt was not heavily pieced -- it was just 12" blocks.  I did quilt it with a design that was fairly heavy -- about 3" distance between quilting lines. 

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
Chelle
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 12:06:21 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Oh thank you for the info Jann!

The woman is going to gather the bandanas and figure out how many she actually has this weekend.  I have found some cute pattern ideas but a lot will depend on how many colors and number she has... as well as how much she wants to spend.

ladysaint
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 6:42:00 PM(UTC)
ladysaint

Yes Chelle, I used fusible Pellon SF-101 from JoAnns. (Coupon!). It’s pretty soft, BUT I would prewash bandanas and sf-101. It shrinks a good bit. I normally prewash by hand and hang to dry with a fan in the room. Good Luck!
Toni Ann
Chelle
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:03:21 AM(UTC)
Chelle

So they got back to me, they have 30 bandanas, not all are the classic style. She hasn't said if cutting them up is ok or if kept in full pieces.  They want to know how much I would charge and how long it would take for me to make a double sized quilt.  I was told I should ask $500.00 minimum for that size.  Looking for input. :)

monalee
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:37:21 AM(UTC)
monalee

T shirt Quilts run $15-$25 per block for total cost. I would use that as a guideline
Rss Feed  Atom Feed