Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chelle
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:36:23 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I am sure we have all grown in our quilting abilities.   As such was there ever a technique or pattern that you really loved the outcome of but you felt you wouldn't do well at?

Over time have you attempted that technique or pattern? If so, what are some tips you have for others that may be overwhelmed in trying out something they love from afar?

If not, is there a specific thing about that technique or pattern that holds you back? Perhaps someone else here has some tips to help you push through and achieve said technique/pattern.  

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
Chelle
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:11:11 PM(UTC)
Chelle

I love the quilt pattern Eureka by Jackie Robinson.  I started working on it but passed the pattern on to someone else.  Eureka and the Farm Girl Vintage patterns have a similar feature I struggle to deal with... working with tiny fabric peices to make blocks.  I love the blocks and the quilts but I get so very frustrated working with tiny pieces of fabric.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
Eponine1984
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:18:24 PM(UTC)
Eponine1984

What holds me back is wanting to be perfect from the start. I resisted free-motion quilting for quite awhile because I saw so many perfect examples and I wanted to be that good. I also don't like wasting time or materials on throw away projects just practicing.

Eventually, I jumped in on a few smaller projects, got used to my machine, and got super friendly with a seam ripper. I also changed my standards - my free motioning on a domestic machine is going to look a lot different than someone using a computerized longarm.

Well-behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Brenda
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:23:26 PM(UTC)
Brenda

I am being held back when it comes to doing the actually quilting.  I have done stitch in the ditch a few times but that is as far as I have gone.  I get so tense that I can not do it not even just swiggles.  I even find the layering and getting it ready to be a problem.  I wish I had a quilting buddy that lived close that could kick me in the behind.

Brenda

A fat quarter has fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae!

dogsbody
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:26:28 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

If you never try, you never fly. Seriously. If you mess up, its only fabric, and you have learned something in the process. Only thing holding me back is the lack of time to do everything I want to.

stitchintime
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 4:01:07 PM(UTC)
stitchintime

I had to think about this for a little bit but seriously, I will try any technique at least once.  Some techniques are more enjoyable than others but if I really want to do the pattern and it is a technique I dislike, then it just takes me longer because I will do it in small amounts.  If I get totatlly sick of it, then I make a wall hanging instead of a bed quilt....lol.

Barb
Nancy_MN
#7 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 3:02:33 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

When I go to quilt shows, I am so in awe of the amazing quilting.  I know darn well I will never be that good, not even close, but I've decided I will be satisfied with what I can achieve, and any piece I finish is an accomplishment in its own right!

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
cv quilter
#8 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 4:08:04 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Chelle, I can empathize with you..I don't like projects with small pieces.  I have loved scrappy quilts, especially Bonnie Hunter's, Farmgirl Vintage, Postage Stamp quilts, but I am intimidated.  I find that since I've joined some of QATW swaps I have tried new things and have enjoyed them.  I would love to be FMQ queen, and this is where I am being held back...by my own lack of confidence.  I watch the videos and tutorials, study beautiful quilts and sew wish I could FMQ like that.  I think like Nancy, though, that I will improve as I go and be happy with what I can do.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
EliQuilts
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 8:14:33 PM(UTC)
EliQuilts

Mostly just depression.  I got a community project quilt done for my off-line guild today, though.  With help of course.

Sometimes I question my sanity. ....Occasionally it replies
Agnes
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 9:21:49 AM(UTC)
Agnes

I've let go of a lot of expectations over the years. I admire work others do but no longer think I'm Superwoman and can do the same technique well. I no longer think it a failure if I don't enjoy the various methods possible and move on to something I do enjoy. I would rather be making a simple pattern/item well and with enjoyment than something more complicated and struggle all the way. Life is too short! As I get older I have gotten smarter, at least as far as where I find inner happiness.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
Rss Feed  Atom Feed