Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Topsy
#127 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:17:53 PM(UTC)
Topsy

My chickens started laying last fall and have layed all winter.  We have 7 hens and a rooster.  Altho we were getting less eggs during the winter, I bought only one dozen eggs all winter-I think they did very good.  Egg production is  5-7 each day since it is warmer and they have more light each day.  As of this morning, we have 5 dozen of extra eggs.  DH has a dr. appointment in the morning and will deliver eggs on his way.

I see that some are having problems with soft shells.  When my chickens begins to lay, I place a bowl of oyster shells in the coop.  I replenish  it before they eat all of it-this helps with the soft shell problem..

Several years ago we had several bantams.  When my chickens get older and refuse to lay, I plan to order some bantams.  I LOVE these tiny birds. Some don't like the smaller eggs, but we use 2-3 in place of one when baking.  They take less space and eat much less than standard size chickens. 

Topsy
#128 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:19:11 AM(UTC)
Topsy

It's awful quiet here lately...Where is  everyone?   Since the sun is peaking out most days, are you chickens laying better?  Is the problem with soft eggs solved? 

My huge rooster has 3 favorite hens---he has managed to damage the feathers on their backs.  They have lost all the feathers close to the tail.  I'm thinking about moving them into another pen until they can grow new feathers.  I've had roosters do this, but not to this extent. Any suggestions?

monalee
#129 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:59:47 AM(UTC)
monalee

Unless you are going to hatch eggs, I'd get rid of the rooster.  He won't change his ways, some are just like that

tangosblonde
#130 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:45:40 AM(UTC)
tangosblonde

Got some baby chicks here. . . .1 white leghorn, 2 buff orpingtons, 1 silver wyandotte and 1 black sexlink.  The older girls are happy - 11 chickens and between 9-11 eggs a day.  We are selling the extra to offset the feed cost.  But the babys are so cute!!! They get big fast.  My first time raising chicks.

Topsy
#131 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:09:23 AM(UTC)
Topsy

Originally Posted by: monalee Go to Quoted Post

Unless you are going to hatch eggs, I'd get rid of the rooster.  He won't change his ways, some are just like that

I took your advice and gave my beautiful rooster to a neighbor.  My hens (all but one) have bare backs due to the rooster.  I was afraid their backs would bleed, then the other hens would peck and cause a serious problem. I wanted to set the Sussex hen this spring, but the hens health and appearance  comes  first. 

monalee
#132 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:43:05 PM(UTC)
monalee

Hopefully they will all soon have alot of feathers and be much happier.  Tough when the guy is always chasing them.

GardenGal
#133 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 7:54:58 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

All six of my hens seem to be doing just fine and although I'd like MORE chickens.. I know we have PLENTY of  eggs so I don't need more....   This weekend someone posted 3 free chicks on my local craigslist and I texted them but never heard back...  LOL   

How does everyone 'keep' their chickens?  Do you free range daily?   Do you keep them in a RUN ?? 

We have a coop they sleep in and go into during the day when they are going to lay an egg.  Attached to that is our 'run' which is predator proof and then attached to that is a play ground that is only fenced.   

Most of the days they are allowed to come and go from the playground to the run and coop but on the weekends when we spend so much time in the yard, we open the playground gate and let them free range all over the yard....   They've done such a number on most of my flower beds...  thankfully I have a large yard so they just mess up the beds quickly and move on to another spot....  If my yard was smaller, I'd have no flower beds at all.     Which I knew how to make them stay out of the beds..

--
crzyquilter
#134 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 11:28:40 AM(UTC)
crzyquilter

Location: In The Land of the Lost, being held captive by the AZ Fabric Monster

Hi,

This is for all of you chicken lovers:

They look like fun.  The pattern is at Merrill-Lee in Sacramento, CA.  Yes, they do have an on-line store.

Deanne
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
Topsy
#135 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 8:31:27 PM(UTC)
Topsy

Husband and I decided it was time for new chickens in the barn yard.  We have 12 new babies--6 hens and 6 bamtams.  After we got them home, he decided our chicken house was in bad need of repair. You know how it is when a new project  is started??? Most of the time at our house, bright ideas turn into more work than we thought.  Repaired  roof, new fence for the run, and a nice new coat of paint.  Those chickens have a palace.   We should have our own eggs early fall--much better than the store bought eggs..

GardenGal
#136 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:07:43 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

I know you will love them Topsy!!!  All the time you put in on the front end is well worth it in my opinion.  

We extended our girls playground and it's almost completely white clover.  

Looks like I didn't update here but we got 6 chicks last Fall and raised them in the guest room until they were ready to introduce to the 6 older hens.  I have to say I was really worried but things went well and they Wintered over together just fine.  All 12 have been laying just fine.  :D

gg

--
cv quilter
#137 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:30:56 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Our son and his wife have chickens, now going on three years.  They began laying again about a month ago and yesterday they gave us 18 of their eggs....pretty brown and green eggs.  The yolks are bright yellow/orange.  We had them for dinner last night with some of Fred's home made and smoked bacon made from pork belly!  Wow!  It doesn't get any better than that!  There's no comparison to store bought eggs and bacon.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
Topsy
#138 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 6:07:57 PM(UTC)
Topsy

I thought I would update our purchase of 6 black sexlink hens and 6 bantams from Rural King in May.   Everyone is growing great and looking healthy.  But we did lose one bantam and the store replaced it .  Since they didn't have any bantams, I got another hen.  One bantam turned out to be a game rooster, which I gave to a neighbor.  Another chick isn't a bantam, I think it may be a  golden laced wyandotte hen. Now we have 8 hens and 3 bantams.  Isn't it funny how things turn out so much different then we had planned.

jcorsbie
#139 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 7:56:50 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

Our son and his wife have chickens, now going on three years.  They began laying again about a month ago and yesterday they gave us 18 of their eggs....pretty brown and green eggs.  The yolks are bright yellow/orange.  We had them for dinner last night with some of Fred's home made and smoked bacon made from pork belly!  Wow!  It doesn't get any better than that!  There's no comparison to store bought eggs and bacon.

that smoked pork belly sounds fantastic.  My grandpa used to smoke his own and of course grandma had laying hens and eating hens.  Wonderful eggs with almost orange yolks.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed