Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<678
cv quilter
#148 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:41:34 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Our chicken days are in the past, but we had so much fun and wonderful fresh eggs when we had them.  Our son and DIL have chickens, and theirs are laying like crazy.  We have a dozen fresh, brown and green eggs in our fridge.  Hope yours start laying in the nests again.  Ours used to lay in the creekbed and in the desert brush when they free ranged.  

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
GardenGal
#149 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:03:36 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

I couldn't post about it right away but Saturday a dog came through our property and killed my favorite girl 'Raven'.  She was a real sweetie.  When we would go inside she would come right up to the door and step in to see if we had dropped any oats on the floor.   She didn't feel uncomfortable at all.    She and a couple others are real escape artists and sometimes get out of their playground.   It's an area that goes around their coop & run.  Those two are safe zones but the play ground is pretty much iron rods with 4' chicken wire around it.  Gives them more play room to eat seeds bugs and such.  It keeps dogs out but some of the girls must be flying over it.     I lost another chicken in July but we never found her or saw any dog.  

Tonight we looked at some 5' wire.  Stronger than chicken wire and taller too.  We might get that and install it this weekend.  Some tease me about my chickens but they do have personalities.   I don't want to lose another one.  :(

Take care of your girls...  It isn't fun to lose one.  

gg

--
cv quilter
#150 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:53:12 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

GG, I feel so bad for you.  We have had chickens....LOVED having them...LOVED the eggs, not a lot of work, but we had cayotes and skunks that would get our chickens.  The skunks loved the eggs, too.  So sorry, yes, I say higher fence, but watch for any holes or digging near your chicken area.

Sharon
Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness
LauraB
#151 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 4:58:05 AM(UTC)
LauraB

So sorry GG. Loosing a pet is no fun. We have lost several to skunk and fox and their flying the fence. We think we have them safe and then something happens. We finally had to put fencing over head so they couldn’t fly out.
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
Nancy_MN
#152 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 11:11:47 AM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Originally Posted by: LauraB Go to Quoted Post
We finally had to put fencing over head so they couldn’t fly out.

If they haven't had wings clipped, this sounds like the way to go.  Prevents hawks and owls from coming in, too.

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
monalee
#153 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 11:18:16 AM(UTC)
monalee

Sorry GG about your chicken. I put up a nylon netting, came in a big roll. Prevented sny birds flying in to eat the feed or chickens flying out.
GardenGal
#154 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 11:32:29 AM(UTC)
GardenGal

It's a rather large playground and we've planted trees and bushes to give them places to hang out under and run to but things are still growing..  it's too large for netting but with a 5 foot fence, it should keep most of them from flying out.. except Beauty, she can fly from the ground UP to the roof..  I tried to fatten her up but she still gets out when she wants too.      Maybe we can put netting in the corners.. .  I will keep doing anything that is needed.

We extended thier SAFE chicken run recently. It nearly doubled in size but even then, they will eat all the grass and weeds and it become dirt / mud in no time at all.   The playground allows them to find insects and such.   Maybe I'll clip wings.. I worried that they might NEED to fly if chased by something..     

--
GloBug
#155 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 1:44:39 PM(UTC)
GloBug

gg, first of all, I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet girl Raven.  You are such a good momma to all your little chickies!

Next, I am so grateful for this thread because I'm pretty certain my DH will eventually be raising some chickens and all your posts will be so informative and helpful.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed