Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jcorsbie
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 7:03:58 PM(UTC)
jcorsbie

No, you really don't get a chance at choosing Oprah's favorite things or even mine for that matter.  I was just hoping it caught a lot of members notice and they opened to see just what it was all about!  I know, that is mean ....... but ....... it worked if you are here!, Right??

First, I want to say Happy Holidays to include all the holidays of the season and then to say Merry Christmas to everyone, just in case I forget; it seems that lately I am having more senior moments.  Or maybe, hopefully, I am just trying to do too much at one time, as I sure all of you are doing, too.

Thank you to all you who participated in our activities this year and thanks to all those great hostesses who made them possible.  Our favorite bug, Globug, is now offering the last QATW swap for the year!!!!  Don't worry it doesn't have to be mailed until next year (sounds like a long time doesn't it).  It is  more than enough time to get it done so please join in the fun.

Now, the real purpose of this message.  Those of you who know me well, know I love gadgets -- things which will make sewing more accurate, easier and faster.  So while the gift-giving season is upon, I thought it might be fun to list our favoirte things and maybe we will get some new ideas to give to those kids, grandkids and hubbies to give us.  

These are my 3 favoirtes:'

1.  Karen Kay Buckly scissors.  I have migrated/upgraded over the years from Gingher's, Havel's and Kai's to these.  And, wow, these are just beyond ...  so sharp, with huge loops for your fingers and light.  If you ever try them I am sure you will love them too.

2. Acuquilt cutter.  Any would be wonderful.  DH gave me the Go Big! a couple years ago.  I really wasn't thrilled about getting it, but quite frankly I couldn't think of anything else to tell him to get and I knew I would never spend the $$$.  I didn't even open it for about 8 months.  And once I did there was no going back.  First, it really saves the wear and tear on your shoulder.  And, using this example to illustrate how practical and time-saving it is.  I cut the 600 flying geese triangles for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt in about 68 minutes.  Because the corners were clipped and rounded, no lines to draw and 99.9% accurate when I sewed them together.

3. Aurifil thread.  Those who use it, know why and those who don't should give it a try.

Now, I would love to hear from everyone of you what your favorite things are.

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
mimi2jefftye
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:04:22 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

Love this!!!

1.  Thread Heaven - for those who do not know about it, grab it quick if you see it at your local quilt shop.  The company discontinued making it, if you don't like it I will buy it from you.  It is a thread conditioner and is probably the best knot stopper I have ever used!  When I bind by hand I can literally do 6 to 10 stitches before having to pull the thread completely through and rarely get a knot!  Will not bind without it!  In fact I just ordered two more from Amazon.  LOL  Watch the prices, some seller are really gouging the prices!

2.  Horn scissors for when I cut out intricate fusible applique.  Extremely sharp points to get those tight cuts!  Although I will have to try the brand Jann uses.

3.  Aurifil Thread - my absolute favorite thread, fine but extremely strong thread.  Also more importantly, very little lint, my machine just loves it!

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
cv quilter
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:06:33 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

GEEZE, Jann.  I can't add to your list......I have and use each and every one of your favorites...OK, I don't have the ACCU Quilt I would love to have, but OH WELL, I do what I can.  I have the Go Baby, and wishing I could have the 1 1/2 inch strip cutter, without having to cut 3 different sizes at the same time, so I shall rise above ;)  Other than that, I'm all good with the things I need and want (where sewing/quiltng is concerned).  Merry Christmas. 

Sharon
Leslie
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:26:38 PM(UTC)
Leslie

I would like to have sweet 16 quilting machine
Leslie
Angele3
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:46:47 PM(UTC)
Angele3

Jann, I want to say thank you for all that’s been done during the year to help us create, complete projects and try new techniques.

As for my favorite tools, I love my Karen Kay Buckley scissors. I would love a sit down quilting machine as I don’t have the space for a longarm. Time to sew would be wonderful too
Quiltbaby
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 4:46:10 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Hmmm, favorite things, lets see. I have to go with my all time number one.
My Viking Sapphire 870Q. I think that’s the number.bigGrin It was the latest one when my wife bought it for me a year or so ago.
My 2nd is my Viking 18-8 long arm machine and pro form Quilting Frame. Yep I am a Viking girl all the way. No bells or whistles on my LA. But I love the freedom of no computer with her. I get to free hand design.
My 3rd at this moment are my Creative Grid Rulers. Love the grip, non slip these give.

I do love my Accuquilt Go and all my dies. But I don’t use it all the time, like I should.
So many cool gadgets now days, I could go on and on.

If I could have a Christmas Wish , (besides World Peace of coarse). It would be for a bigger sewing area. But I am grateful for the room I have now.
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
LauraB
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 6:57:33 AM(UTC)
LauraB

I too have to say thank you to GG, Jann and all of the hostesses that have kept us going for another wonderful year. While I haven’t been able to be here as much as I used too, I have enjoyed stopping in and reading everyone’s posts. This is truly my happy place.

Now onto what are some of my favorites. I really love each and everyone of my BlocLoc rulers. The accuracy they give is amazing.

I have the Sizzix cutter and while I don’t use it as often as I should I do like it and as Jann said it sure is a shoulder saver. I purchased this model as it was the brand I knew and I can use the Accuquilt and other brand dies with it as well. I will have to look into the geese dies, if they go that quick, I think I may need them on my Christmas list. Time is valuable to me now.

As for what I would like for Christmas, I think that would be a robotic vacuum. It could keep up with my dust bunnies, leaving me time to sew in the evenings instead of cleaning. I know it isn’t really a sewing gadget, but that is all in how you look at itsilly

Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
dogsbody
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:45:32 AM(UTC)
dogsbody

A sewing room just big enough for what stuff I do have.

Teatime
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 11:56:15 AM(UTC)
Teatime

I too thank the women who have made this site so interesting. I love to check in everyday and see the wide variety of games and swaps. The quilts are inspiring and absolutely beautiful.

For Christmas I usually ask for a couple of charm packs. (I send my family links)

2018 Quilt Art Engagement Calendar (I already received one for my Dec birthday) Keep it at my sewing table and track my projects. 

The Karen Kay Buckley scissors are now on my list.

I have a bloc-loc ruler and would highly recommend it. I make a lot of HSTs.

Happy Holidays! 

Marian
deb.morseth
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 3:39:34 PM(UTC)
deb.morseth

Jann, lol, made me look, you clever girlfriendbigGrin I want to thank GG and the whole gang who made this quilting year so much fun! My favorites are my new Janome Horizon 8200Q sewing machine, Creative Grids rulers and the Bloc-loc rulers. I would love the AccuQuilt under my Christmas tree. Merry Christmas.
MN DEB from Mall of America land
GloBug
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 4:25:23 PM(UTC)
GloBug

My 3 favorite things are:

1.  Jann, gg, all the Hostesses and the many quality quilty friends at QATW!

2.  Aurifil thread, 50wt.

3.  Any Creative Grid rulers.  I want need a 6"x24" CG Ruler....I'll ask Santa!

Nancy_MN
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:43:53 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

Originally Posted by: LauraB Go to Quoted Post

While I haven’t been able to be here as much as I used too, I have enjoyed stopping in and reading everyone’s posts.

As for what I would like for Christmas, I think that would be a robotic vacuum. It could keep up with my dust bunnies, leaving me time to sew in the evenings instead of cleaning.  

...and you have been missed!

Funny, I too having been dreaming of a Roomba vac.  I think I need one on both levels of the house.  In addition to helping with dust bunnies, I think it might entertain the pets!

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
patti.cockfield
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:55:08 PM(UTC)
patti.cockfield

My father-in-law gave all his kids roombas one year.  It works pretty well.  But she does need supervision.  Can't go near the stairs, or in the loft.  There are ways to safely block her passage, but in open space, there isn't enough to easily do that. 

jcorsbie
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:11:42 AM(UTC)
jcorsbie

Looking for more ideas --especially for sewing friends.  What is your favorite gadget?

jann

Always do more than is required of/from you. (My mom)
Chelle
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:22:03 AM(UTC)
Chelle

I love my seam ripper that I bought from Barb.  If you have to rip you may as well have a pretty tool that does the job. I can't really think of anything else that is my favorite, though I do like to have multiple scissors available.

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
GardenGal
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:51:21 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Aurifil thread

loc block rulers

Moda fabrics...

these are a few of my favorite things... ( can you hear the music?? )  teeheehee

Merry Christmas to ALL... day one members, visitors and old farts that have been around for months.  hahahaasd

A VERY special thanks to the gals that put in EFFORT to make qatw fun in 2017.. I did little to nothing so there are others that stepped up and kept the FUN going!  Hope you are sewing all the way out of 2017!!

hugs, gg

--
cv quilter
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:43:37 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thank you GG and ALL.  Merry Christmas!

Sharon
Rss Feed  Atom Feed