Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages«<111213
cv quilter
#253 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 1:12:09 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: cindynvb Go to Quoted Post

DonnaB, I love your FW case.  Do you have a pattern for it?  I'd like to make one. I think the wooden box mine came in is heavier than the machine!

Thanks 

Featherweight Carrying Case  I agree, Donna.  I would love to make a case for mine.  Right now I am using a small insulated soft sided cooler with an insert in it.  Perfect size and lightweight, but not pretty like your beautiful case.

Sharon
Dorian
#254 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 9:19:09 AM(UTC)
Dorian

What a fabulous find Patti!!

Keep a smile in your heart :) Dorian
cv quilter
#255 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 9:10:25 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Anybody know anything about a Singer Futura Model 900?  

Sharon
cv quilter
#256 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 9:36:05 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

I forgot to mention that my Singer 15-90 just came back from being cleaned and tuned up, feed dogs repaired (they all of a sudden decided to stay down...a gear inside slipped) and she runs like a champ.  Now to figure out where to put her and work on refinishing the cabinet.  

Sharon
LaDawn
#257 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 9:03:22 PM(UTC)
LaDawn

Last week, I bought a Singer 27 Sphinx. For $20. The guy I bought it from said he didn't know if it was capable of being refurbished or not. The cabinet is in bad shape, and the machine didn't look too much better. But I figured for $20, if I ruined it while trying to restore it, it was no big loss, right? Once I got it home and really liked at it, the machine is really not in bad shape. There is very little rust, nothing is frozen, and not there's not even much "gunk" that I can see. The decals are worn off or silvered, but that shouldn't affect the sewing! So, now I've spent about $70 in supplies to fix her up, and another $20 something for a new treadle belt and a shuttle and bobbins. Hopefully this week I will have some time to work on her.

I also bought an Emdeco machine in a beautiful cabinet for another $20. Looks like it was rarely, if ever, used. Unfortunately, it had no attachments of any kind and only has a zipper foot.

My husband knew I was going to buy the singer because we'd talked about me learning to refurbish them. But he didn't know about the other one. When he saw it he asked why I bought it. I said, "$20!" dance I have hard time passing up deals like that. That's why I've forbidden myself from even looking at any more old machines!

I'll try and post some photos in my "sewing room" gallery.
cv quilter
#258 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 8:55:33 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

I looked at your Gallery, LaDawn.  That Emdeco is in a really nice cabinet.  I have never heard of that brand before.  You do have a lot of restoration to do on the Singer.  How will you finish it when you have gotten the rust off.  Not sure but you may be able to get new decals for it from someone online.  Did it come with a manual of any sort?  You can probably get a manual online, too.

Sharon
LaDawn
#259 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 3:07:40 PM(UTC)
LaDawn

Sharon, I've been reading LOTS about how to refurbish or restore old machines! Thank goodness for the internet! I never would have had the courage to take on a project like this without all the help from online sources. 

It came with absolutely nothing, not even drawers in the cabinet. I have found a manual online, plus all the supplies needed to make her run again. I have decided against "restoring" her and instead will "refurbish" her (I didn't know there was a difference until I started researching it!) I did find decals for her, but they are $50, and you have to completely refinish the machine before you put them on. I will just clean her up and enjoy her 'wrinkles.' She earned them! 

I had to buy a new shuttle and bobbins, too. They are coming from China, so I'm not sure when I will get them, but I'm not in a big rush because I  don't have much time to work on her with Christmas coming up!  But I go in and pet her nearly every day...

cv quilter
#260 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 6:12:13 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

LaDawn, I seem to remember a site where I saw a vintage machine that had a "wrinkle" finish to it.  Might be that this is what you have.  Love these old machines....maybe because I am "old".

Sharon
LaDawn
#261 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 12:32:25 PM(UTC)
LaDawn

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

LaDawn, I seem to remember a site where I saw a vintage machine that had a "wrinkle" finish to it.  Might be that this is what you have.  Love these old machines....maybe because I am "old".

Oh, I just meant that she's earned all her flaws and worn/silver decals. Kind of like I've earned all my gray and wrinkles!

dogsbody
#262 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:19:04 PM(UTC)
dogsbody

Originally Posted by: cv quilter Go to Quoted Post

Anybody know anything about a Singer Futura Model 900?  

40 years old, and one of those with plastic gears. They are either really good, or really bad. A workhorse without peer if its a good one.

cv quilter
#263 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:36:44 AM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks.   I passed on it...waited to long (craigs list)

Sharon
Rss Feed  Atom Feed