Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<678
cv quilter
#148 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:36:11 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Candis.  Hey, I'm sending you an email.

Sharon
cv quilter
#149 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:14:24 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Here are my first few blocks semi laid out.  Some look pretty, like snowflakes, others not so much.  I am using a pretty monochromatic fabric and it's going to be interesting.  I do think it looks "snowy"

This third one is the "not so much".  I at least got all my strips cut and have cut one of them into triangles.

Sharon
Quiltbaby
#150 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:48:38 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Hey CV, those are going to be awesome, even if u think some are not so much. If you do Facebook groups, go to one block wonder group. They have all kind of pictures and tutorials on them. I don't do a lot of face book but this is a informative group. Also go here. It's very cool
http://oneblockwonder.com/design-helper/
A FRIEND IS WORTH A THOUSAND STITCHES!!

Candis
JudyT
#151 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:19:26 PM(UTC)
JudyT

Sharon, I think your blocks are going to be lovely. I had many I didn't like but once arranged they fell into place. The fun part, really, comes when you put your blocks up and then spend days moving a block from here to over there. No, there. Well, maybe up there. And so on. I took pictures every time as the camera seems to see things I don't. I finally had it just the way I liked. Sewed them all together, stood back and went AAARRGH. Two blocks were just not right, in fact totally detracted. So, I ripped and rearranged. Now I'm just sewing on the binding and it's done.

Judy in the Pacific Northwest
cv quilter
#152 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:19:41 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Candis.  I have to think about the FB thing.  I had my account hacked and don't currently have one.  BUT, that said, I might check it out just for the ideas from others I might see.

Sharon
cv quilter
#153 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:32:35 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: JudyT Go to Quoted Post

Sharon, I think your blocks are going to be lovely. I had many I didn't like but once arranged they fell into place. The fun part, really, comes when you put your blocks up and then spend days moving a block from here to over there. No, there. Well, maybe up there. And so on. I took pictures every time as the camera seems to see things I don't. I finally had it just the way I liked. Sewed them all together, stood back and went AAARRGH. Two blocks were just not right, in fact totally detracted. So, I ripped and rearranged. Now I'm just sewing on the binding and it's done.

Judy, thanks for the ideas.  I am still a little tentative about how to lay these out, and hoping this will turn out like I want it to.  Guess we don't know til we are in it, and I think I'm in it!

Sharon
Quiltbaby
#154 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:39:45 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Cv. That website I posted above is a OBW generator. You put your fabric in and it shows you what it will look like as hexagons. Try it , it's very helpful.

Candis
cv quilter
#155 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:24:37 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: Quiltbaby Go to Quoted Post
Cv. That website I posted above is a OBW generator. You put your fabric in and it shows you what it will look like as hexagons. Try it , it's very helpful.
TY 

Sharon
Bobanda
#156 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:29:52 PM(UTC)
Bobanda

Just keep turning and turning the triangles until you get to the version you like the best. I know that third one doesn't look like much by itself now but you'll need blocks like that for contrast, since it has a little darker/more markings. Just roll with it, I'm sure the outcome will be stunning. 

We are living in a material world, and I am a material girl!
JudyT
#157 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 2:59:33 AM(UTC)
JudyT

Candis, that design website is awesome. I downloaded some fabric panels just for fun. One is a Marvel Retro comics panel. Wow. I wish I had someone to make something like that for. Really incredible tool. I plugged in the American Wildlife fabric I have and love the results. Now I'm really anxious to start it.

JudyT
#158 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 3:12:13 AM(UTC)
JudyT

Something else I may try. I have one panel I was going to turn into an attic window. I'm thinking of using it as the center of a OBW and making the blocks from 4 yards of fabric with similar colors. Intriguing the possibilities.

Quiltbaby
#159 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 10:15:02 AM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

I agree Judy, I love that generator! I'm plugging in all kinds of fabrics! That's a great idea about a panel and similar fabric. I have gone crazy for these type of pieces now. Every fabric I look at I wonder what it would turn in to.

I am sewing the pieces together for the angel . I'm looking forward to seeing your wild life piece! The colors were great.

Candis
cv quilter
#160 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 2:06:59 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

I brought up the generator this morning, and to be honest, I couldn't figure it out.  I know it's easy, but I didn't sleep last night and I think my mind turned off.  Will try again.  Thanks again, Candis.

Sharon
DonnaB
#161 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 3:05:24 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

Hi, I'm lurking...LOL...and greatly admiring what all of you are doing with your OBW!!!  

Thank you Candis for sharing the links...I'm hoping I don't get "hooked" just yet and as I really have to finish a king-sized quilt before this Christmas (it was due to them 3 Xmas' ago...groan!)  I've spend the last hour (yikes) playing with that design wizard...OMG is that addictive!!!

I have a landscape quilt in my "mind" that I have just not been able to find the right background fabric to suit it.  Now you have me wondering if doing OBW's around the center landscape might be the perfect answer.  Don't hold your breath, because I'm known to mull these things for a Loooong time!  But, thanks for the hour of mindless playing with that design wizard (just as good, if not better than a puzzle) and the UTube videos on how to do these OBW!  

I'll keep watching and admiring your beauties!!!

Donna B from North Central Washington State
Quiltbaby
#162 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 7:34:40 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Donna, glad I could give you a fun distraction! bigGrin I also took pics of fabrics today and plugged them in for about an hour. So much fun to see what happens. Gives me better ideas of what kind of fabric I like for these. It is addicting, and I'm totally hooked. I'm glad you enjoyed the site!

Candis
Agnes
#163 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 8:25:41 AM(UTC)
Agnes

Candis--I've saved the generator site for future. I'm not sure I'll ever do a OBW but I sure hope to make a mini Stack and Whack where this would be helpful.

Agnes in NW Ontario, Canada
cv quilter
#164 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:14:52 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: Quiltbaby Go to Quoted Post
OMG,  My brain kicked in and I love it!  I now know what I will be doing when nothing else to do or when not sleeping!  How fun!!!  Are you taking pics of only fabric you have or are you finding some on the internet and saving them and plugging them in???

Sharon
Quiltbaby
#165 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:42:18 PM(UTC)
Quiltbaby

Yeah Agnes! So happy you will play with that when you have time. It is fun.

CV. I find fabric on line. Blow up the picture on my IPad and take a screen shot. It's not perfect but gives me an idea of what it will look like. I did it all night till 1 AM. Fun!

Candis
cv quilter
#166 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:26:48 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Oh good....I was looking at pretty fabrics today online and thought it would be fun to use some of them.  I don't have an Ipad, but might be able to enlarge on my notebook and find a way to save it then use it.

Sharon
Rss Feed  Atom Feed