Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

cv quilter
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:20:07 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Anyone know about this machine??? I have a chance to buy one, going tomorrow to try it....Craigs list ad says it works, needs a new cord, but the guy has put a new one on, $40 but OBO...

Sharon
cv quilter
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:34:30 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Forgot to mention my BabyLock dealer in Prescott Valley and his Dad in CA have specialized in old Singer machines.  

Sharon
LauraB
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:36:18 PM(UTC)
LauraB

Sharon
I don't know much about the 66,
I can say I love my singers. I have a 201 that I sew on all the time. I had a 301 that I recently sold, but absolutely loved. I have 99 and a 15-91. They are all great. Oh and of course my featherweight. I believe that I have read the 66 is a good machine. Google it and see what others are saying or try to search Facebook for a group like "singer 66" or just Singer sewing machines, ask in the group, they will tell you. I only buy them if they in really good shape.
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
cv quilter
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:35:53 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Laura.  This just came up on CL and the guy gave me a serial number, can't find anything definitive.  I tried to find the serial number on Singer web site, and am puzzled because I can't find the specific # but find a span of numbers and looks like it is a 66.  Not much with it, a needle, bobbin, says it sews in reverse.  I'll make sure it has a bobbin case (this is often "stolen" and sold because they are worth $)  Will see tomorrow.

Sharon
LauraB
#5 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 5:40:36 AM(UTC)
LauraB

Good luck Sharon.
Laura
Quote:
It is what you make it
Regina
#6 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 10:56:37 AM(UTC)
Regina

Sharon-
Dates are when the serial numbers were allotted and NOT the actual date of manufacture.
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html  So Singer would "release" a series of serial numbers that were to be given to that model machine during a limited time period. It's not a specific date that machine was made, but a date that batch of numbers was to be used and the machine they were assigned to. Does that make sense? If you send me the number I can help you figure it out.

Here are some definitive postings about the Singer 66 sewing machine including a picture of one with the crinkle or "godzilla" finish.
http://www.sewalot.com/singer%2066.htm
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/singer-class-66-sewing-machine.html

The Singer 66 with the lotus decals is one of my favorites. My MIL has one in a treadle cabinet that was converted to electric.  You don't say if it comes in a cabinet or not. I'd say $40 for a working one is a very fair price, but I am never shy at offering less when they say OBO, especially if I give them cash. All accessories are still available and easily purchased online or a good local sewing machine shop.

Good luck,
Regina

cv quilter
#7 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 12:46:43 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Regina.  Will check out all the sites you gave me.  I really appreciate the site to get more info on the 66. I haven't been able to go yet this morning, but hoping to later.  

Sharon
uandiquilt
#8 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 1:10:58 PM(UTC)
uandiquilt

I've read that the crinkle finish is hard to find and usually commands a higher price. $40 is a steal for any featherweight that is in working condition, but this seems like a super bargain. Good luck.
Chris
Regina
#9 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 2:31:08 PM(UTC)
Regina

Chris-
The Singer 66 isn't a "Featherweight". That's a Singer 221 or 222. Yes, crinkle finish is much harder to find in those. I agree the price is still good for a Singer 66 machine but it never hurts to spend less.
lol
cv quilter
#10 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 5:24:32 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Well, I got to see the Singer 66 today...it's rough, could probably be cleaned up, the case is REALLY rough, duck taped together, the face plate over the bobbin is missing, and the motor apparently needs to be repaired or replaced.  I could not test it...because the motor needs "help".  It has a light, it has reverse, I could see the bobbin in there, it had a belt, BUT I could not try it out!  I would love to have it anyway, and don't know why.  Fred offered him $20 and maybe he'll come back.  He knew nothing about this machine or any machine, and said he hoped for more $.  I would be willing to have it checked out (my Babylock Dealer has extensive knowledge of the old Singers, has worked on them for years, and maybe he could at least tell me if it's worth fixing.)  We'll see.  

Sharon
Mimi
#11 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 8:17:23 PM(UTC)
Mimi

Hoping your wish for this machine comes true.  I have a Singer 66 treadle machine with quite worn lotus decals.  It was made in 1907.  Good luck with your offer.  

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed