Quilting Around The World
Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group Quilting Forum Quilt Group
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Chelle
#127 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2015 12:27:54 PM(UTC)
Chelle

Ok, DH forced me to go to goodwill and I came home with three wool sweaters.  Is there anything we do differently to felt these?

As long as I'm breathin', there's no bad days.~ Alabama
MargeP
#128 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2015 5:24:31 PM(UTC)
MargeP

Have a question for you wooley boogers.   Do you store your stash of wool in plastic containers i.e., Sterilites, ArtBin, etc?   I have put mine in them so I can put like sizes and/or colors for easy access.  Last night I noticed a filmy look to the container I had opened and wiped a finger on the inside of the bin and it cleared up as if there was moisture in the container.  Checked the others and it was pretty much the same thing.  The one with the Pendleton Wool was not as obvious as the others.

I have put all my wool in containers and my stash consists of Pendleton Wool felted by me, wool from Montana felted by me, my Q-Bay score, and Etsy purchases.  All of these wools sat in my sewing room for a couple weeks before being transferred to the plastic bins.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

MargeP
GardenGal
#129 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2015 5:55:43 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

I know I've grabbed wool out of the dryer and thought it didn't feel 100% dry.. maybe 95% so I'd toss it back in.   I think wool is a fabric that isn't always easy to tell when it's completely dry.

If you have this moisture.. My answer would be to smell it.. it might need to be washed again...  and for sure it all needs more time in the dryer I think.

Chelle, they told me on sweaters, you felt it more than the average fabric.. so if you felt twice, then for a sweater you felt it 2-3 times until you think it feels usable.  Maybe a better answer will come by.

gg

--
Dee
#130 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:38:59 PM(UTC)
Dee

Maybe just humidity in the air, wool might hold moisture?  Wild guess from a woolie hopeful.

Dee

DonnaB
#131 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:18:44 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

Originally Posted by: Dee Go to Quoted Post

Maybe just humidity in the air, wool might hold moisture?  Wild guess from a woolie hopeful.

Dee

I don't think so!!!  Marge and I live in a VERY DRY AREA!  Our average outside humidity is under 30% and in heated homes, it's usually less!  Marge, you shouldn't have any humidity problems from our air.  It had to be not completely dry coming out of the drier.

I've questioned the dryness of the wool directly out of the dryer, so I hang it separately on a drying rack for a day or so to be sure all the excess humidity is out of the wool.  (IMHO, even stacking could keep excess humidity in the center of the pieces.)  (I have a funky drier that uses a sensor to dry and you cannot use a heat cycle if the dryer thinks the fabric is "already dry".  I want to kick this dryer at least once every week!!!!!)

I'm storing my wool in Plastic bins and have never had any sign of moisture in them.  

I agree with GG...if you have any doubts, re-wash and dry thoroughly before storing.

Donna B from North Central Washington State
Bonita
#132 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:26:56 PM(UTC)
Bonita

I live in a part of the country where the temp and the humidity are oft times the same high number. I have mine stored in a plastic container and no problem.

Bonita
DonnaB
#133 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:44:44 PM(UTC)
DonnaB

We're not too different today either Brenda...just on the low side of the scale!

Our temperature today is around 29-30 degrees F, the humidity is 19% inside and 32% outside....with it snowing heavily.

Donna B from North Central Washington State
Nancy_MN
#134 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:47:29 PM(UTC)
Nancy_MN

With LauraB's wool BOM/mystery going on now, I thought I'd bring this forward for any new woolie boogers.

~On the banks of the Mississippi River in the Brainerd Lakes area~
cv quilter
#135 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:54:44 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Originally Posted by: Nancy_MN Go to Quoted Post

With LauraB's wool BOM/mystery going on now, I thought I'd bring this forward for any new woolie boogers.

Thanks.  Am putting all my wool in plastic bins and will remember all of this (or refer to) when trying felting for the first time. 

Sharon
JackieH
#136 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:55:14 PM(UTC)
JackieH

HERE is a tutorial showing another way to mark the embroidery lines on your wool.

She gives the pattern for the mini rug too, I think I might reduce the size a bit and make a pincushion out of it.

Jacy
cv quilter
#137 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:42:37 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Jackie.  That's pretty clever.

Sharon
cv quilter
#138 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:44:08 PM(UTC)
cv quilter

Thanks, Jackie.  Pretty clever.

Sharon
mimi2jefftye
#139 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:43:59 PM(UTC)
mimi2jefftye

When felting the wool sweaters, do you use the one that have patterns knitted into them?  I bought my first wool sweater that has a cable design knitted into the front, but the back is plain.  Was not sure if you all used the patterned sweaters for a textured look or not.

My sewing machine is calling me and today I hope to listen! Sally
JackieH
#140 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:02:51 PM(UTC)
JackieH

Sally, I use any part that seems like it will work. Sometimes I get nice textures from the rib knit at the bottom of the sleeves and sweater, sometimes those parts don't felt as much as I would like. So I'd just felt it and see what you get. Sweaters don't seem to be quite as predictable as woven wool but you can get some really cool textures and petterns from them so i still think they are worth playing with.

Jacy
tangosblonde
#141 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:05:05 AM(UTC)
tangosblonde

Does anyone use Heat & Bond to place their wool items on?  I am considering, but unsure since this is my first project in wool.  It also uses some trapunto techniques, so I know I cannot do it those places. Any words of wisdom out there?

Mimi
#142 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:15:13 AM(UTC)
Mimi

I use Steam-a-Seam 2 for all my wool applique.  I don't have experience with Heat and Bond. Sorry.

My heart is fed with needle and thread.
monalee
#143 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:51:36 AM(UTC)
monalee

I use a school glue stick, it works well for me and stays soft.

JackieH
#144 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:40:59 AM(UTC)
JackieH

I use heat and bond lite, works well for me. 

Jacy
tangosblonde
#145 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2017 3:43:17 PM(UTC)
tangosblonde

Thank you for your experiences.  Wish me luck, going to start tonight

GardenGal
#146 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2017 5:25:21 PM(UTC)
GardenGal

Hope you find something that works well for ya!   Do you have any spare wool to make a test or sample ?

hugs, gg

--
tangosblonde
#147 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:41:11 AM(UTC)
tangosblonde

Thanks GG.  I do have plenty of wool scraps, but my initial project came okay anyway (at least for my use anyway lol).  

Rss Feed  Atom Feed